TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #11
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

I did use the foam underlayment as specified by the laminate manufacturer. This helps level out any minor imperfections in the floor. The flooring supplier only sold the foam in whole rolls (100 feet ??) thus you'll only use a small portion of the roll (I have a bunch left over if you want it). As I recall, l the mfr. would void the warranty if the foam underlayment was not used. Plus, the foam makes for a quieter walking surface.

I decided to install the floor perpendicular to the door so that I would not have to 'rip' any pieces when I got to the edges. All cuts were crosscuts, using a power miter saw. One cut piece of laminate was long enough to span the width of the floor at least once, and twice in the narrower hallway end of the trailer. You'd probably have less waste if you installed the strips the parallel to the door though.

This is really not too difficult project. If you want more specific information, let me know.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default New Floor

We installed a Pergo Floor in the TM. Had to cut out for the frig hinge. The rest was easy. Very easy to clean with a Swiffer mop. Looks much better than the old floor. Replaced the old Vinyl in the bathroom. Too much work to install Pergo.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
Freedom

We installed a Pergo Floor in the TM.
Did you run the Pergo crosswise like Leslie & Nick or lengthwise? If you ran it length wise, could you post some pictures? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #14
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Pergo Floor

I ran the floor cross-wise. Seems like the easier way to do it. I removed all the old floor and installed the foam followed by the floor. I found the floor at the local Habitat-for-Humanity surplus store for about a dollar a square foot.
Used just short of three boxes at 20 square foot each. About 10% waste. reused the angle iron at the door.

I'll post some pictures next time I open the TM.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie & Nick View Post
Not sure if I got the "image shrinking" thing right, but here goes.

I was not a big fan of carpeting in the TM 2619, so I decided to tear it out and replace it with laminate flooring (similar to 'Pergo'). While I was at it, I also tore out the vinyl flooring.

The laminate went in pretty easily after I removed the lower cabinet doors to allow some additional 'maneuvering' room. Laminate it typically installed as a 'floating' floor, so there was no adhesive, or nails used.

Luckily there was enough clearance for the refrigerator door, so I didn't have to do anything special, other than cutting out for the door hinge mechanism.

I took a bit of a "hit" on the weight issue. The weight of the 2 1/2 boxes of laminate used was about 90 lbs - so minus the weight of the carpeting and tile previously removed, I probably added 80 pounds to the trailer weight. If I were to do this again I'd use thinner laminate which weighs less.

Anyway, we're pretty happy with the way the job came out. The laminate floor is much easier to keep clean than carpet, we sweep it clean with a broom and occasionally use a 'Swifter' mop to remove any marks.

I love the look of this flooring...did you also recover the sofas?
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #16
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default New Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
I love the look of this flooring...did you also recover the sofas?
No, Country Girl, those are the original dinette cushions - we didn't recover them.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #17
mike-rm-cd

Default Orientation

I used Nick and all of his advice for installing a laminate floor in our 2001 2720SD. Our floor goes length-wise; Nick's goes across. He egged me on to try the length-wise trick. It worked really well, and my wife is very happy to be rid of the carpet sections. And yes, we were concerned with weight, and are careful with loading. Spent a 4600 mile trip (flawless towing with a 2005 Tundra); installed a Reese WDH and it is now effortless to tow. Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
Freedom

Mike, do you have pictures? I have been trying to talk myself into putting in laminate - lengthwise. Thanks, je
Old 05-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #19
mike-rm-cd

Default pictures

Jim: I have a lot of pictures. And I'll be happy to send them. I'm uneducated with and about the TM Owners' Forum - and how to post pictures. When I learn how, I'll post them. Nick is the undeniable expert on this modification. Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
mike-rm-cd

Jim: here (hopefully) are some pictures. I also installed a wall mount to hold a 20" LCD telly (also Nick's idea!). It shows in one of these pictures. The TM Owners Forum is a fantastic place, and folks have a fix for everything imaginable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5213A.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dcp_5211A.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dcp_5212A.jpg
Views:	207