TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
Tuscany Bandit

Default Replacing window screen

I have searched the Posts and Threads and can't find the answer.
Some one must have done this before...I need to replace a damaged window screen in the bath room. What are the steps to this procedure to do it correctly? Will it involve removing the entire window and thus having to reseal the window?
Thank you for any help I may receive.
Jerry
Old 09-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Freedom

Replacing a screen isn't difficult if you use the right tool. It's called a spline tool or gimp tool depending what part of the country you're from. Basically it has a handle in the middle and a wheel on each end. One wheel is rounded on the edge and the other is concave. You remove the old screen by removing the spline which is a little rubber strip in the groove on the outer edge of the screen. Put the new screen in place and reinstall the spline (or gimp) in the groove with the tool. When the spline is all in, you cut off the excess screen.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Tuscany Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
Replacing a screen isn't difficult if you use the right tool. It's called a spline tool or gimp tool depending what part of the country you're from. Basically it has a handle in the middle and a wheel on each end. One wheel is rounded on the edge and the other is concave. You remove the old screen by removing the spline which is a little rubber strip in the groove on the outer edge of the screen. Put the new screen in place and reinstall the spline (or gimp) in the groove with the tool. When the spline is all in, you cut off the excess screen.
Thanks Jim, but replacing the screen in a TrailManor is not as easy as this! I have replaced window screens at home many,many times.
Hopefully some one out there has the answer.
Jerry
Old 09-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Freedom

I did one on the big window on the left side on our 2619 and that's how I did it. Only difference is that now the screen is a little different color than the rest of them. Come to think of it, I did have the poprivets out because I had to change the glass, too. (caught a rock). I just looked at the TV and it does appear that you have to remove the screen by drilling out the poprivets. Then you do it as the pictures indicate. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Tuscany Bandit

Jim,
So if I drill out the pop rivets there will be a frame containing the screen that can be removed from the window frame? Then what...do I have to buy a pop rivet tool and replace the drilled out ones when I reinstall the screen frame??
I'm confused!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
Freedom

I had to buy really short rivets because the longer ones I already had interfered with the window and I had to take them out also. I thought later that maybe I should have used really short screws instead. Then if I had to do it again it wouldn't be so hard. Getting the rivets out without enlarging the hole is pretty tricky. I just went and looked at the one I did and you have to remove the entire inner frame ring because the same screws that hold it go through the screen frame, also. The inner frame wasn't sealed, so it came off fairly easily. I, as I stated before, did this in conjunction with replacing the sliding window, so it wasn't just replacing the screen. I'm sorry if I am confusing you. It's been a while since I did that so it's sort of foggy. Us old guys don't remember as well as we used to!
Old 09-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Tuscany Bandit

I believe I got it now...
1. remove the screws
2. remove the screen
3. drill out the rivots
4. install new screen into frame
5. replace rivots with small screws
6. put back into window frame and secure with screws that remove.

Thanks Jim!!
Jerry
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Tampajohn

I just replaced the front door side screen and there was nothing to it or not much more than replacing a screen at home. Only difference is you have to remove the frame on the inside. Just take out those funny square screws around the frame (maybe 10 of them) and remove the frame. Then just replace screen with the spline tool, just like all screens. I was able to use the same rubber strip. I did not have to remove any rivets. I just set on top of the couch and replaced the screen only removing the frame and the window treatment above the screen. I did not even remove the curtain.

I tried to figure out the previous directions, but maybe with my stupidity, I could not figure out removing the pop rivets. Anyway I removed no rivets. Hope this helps. John
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
....you have to remove the frame on the inside. Just take out those funny square screws around the frame (maybe 10 of them) and remove the frame.....
A note of caution: The TM windows are held in place with the inner frame and the screws. When you remove the screws the only thing holding the window in place is the caulking applied to the window during the original installation.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Tampajohn

Thanks much for the info. I did replace the big window screen over the sink also and again no problems. I was somewhat concerned about that. Again, the big window was no big job either. John