TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
BrigCA61

Question JET chip/module for increased towing capabilities/performance

Does anyone have any experience with these JetChips? They claim "by installing the JET chip or module these extra increases in performance enhance drivability, towing capabilities, reduce ¼ miles times and provide improved overall efficiency."

It seems reasonable to me to install one of these if it makes that much of a difference in performance. I would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with this type of product.

http://www.autoanything.com/products...7&se=jet_perfo

www.jetchip.com

Thank you,
Brigitte
Old 06-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Brigitte -

I have no experience with these things, but my feeling can be summed up as follows.

Automakers are continually being hammered by lawmakers and consumers to improve the gas mileage of their vehicles, and by consumers to increase horsepower, torque, and "performance". At the same time, they also are under pressure to increase the reliability of their vehicles, and many now come with 100,000 mile warranties. To improve all of these is a delicate balancing act, and the automakers go to GREAT expense and heroic measures to reduce weight, reduce wear, retune engines, and tweak the engine and transmission control computers into near-perfection. And of course all of this increases the cost of the vehicle, and they are also under heavy pressure to hold prices down. Now if they didn't have to do all this, but could instead install a simple chip, don't you kinda get the feeling that they would?

If you get one, let us know what you find.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Windbreaker

Deisel owners have had these chips offered to them for years. Yes they work, they also void your warrinty (sp?). The problem for most of them is that they work too well, that is develop too much torque thus blowing heads, transmissions, and at the very least rods.

If you get one, get one that has been around for a long time and has not been sued out of business. I have lots of friends that routinely install them after a year or two, they figure if the engine or trany has weeknesses it will have shown itself by then. They report increases in fuel milage in the 10 to 20% range and greatly increased torque and horsepower.

Remember, however, that gassers and deisels don't work the same and you could end up melting you motor (deisels have a gage that tells you the exiting gas temp.) One other thing to consider is that some gas motors on the market today are made lighter and thus weaker, could it cause sparkplugs to go shooting out?

As Bill pointed out, if you try it, make sure you do your homework first.