TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Glenn in TN

Default Trailer Tires

We have a 1997 TM 2619. We have been about everywhere you can get to from Memphis in about a days drive (not including a trip to Lake Superior right after we bought ours). My question in concerning trailer tires. We have gone through 2 sets of tires in the 5 years we have used our TM. The first were the 13" passenger car tires that came on the trailer when we bought it. About years ago I bought a set of Carlisle load range C tires. One blew out on a trip to Destin this summer (I bought a Towmaster brand while on the road and still have the Goodyear car tire on the was the spare). The other Carlisle came up flat just the other day. It has been stored beside our house since the last time it was out in October. This tire seems to be holding air, but the sides of this tire are visibly worn. The 2619 is about 2500# dry and something over 3500# loaded (we always travel with no water in the tanks). It looks like there aren't any 13" tires available that will hold up the 3000+# that we travel with. 14" tires aren't rated for much more.

What might be everybodys suggestion on this?

Glenn in TN
'97 2619 TM
'01 Ford Excursion (yes its overkill!)
Old 02-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Windbreaker

The Goodyear Marathons that now ship with the TM are 14"ers that are rated at 1875 lbs @ 50 psi. They have worked well for us. When you buy tires make sure you check the build date and never run trailer tires older than 5 years, most would suggest 3.

To find the build date look on the inside side of the tire you will find a DOT followed by three sets of numbers. The third set will have 4 digits these are week of the year and year. 5004 is the 50th week of 2004.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Glenn in TN

Thanks Windbreaker. I would have never put together the information concerning build dates. What happens to the tires after 3 years (or 5)?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Windbreaker

Rubber breaks down over time, faster if in the sun and some indoor lighting. That is why they use to rap them in paper, I think maybe they still do but the stores take the paper off.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
Glenn in TN

So here is the next obvious question: how much more might I pay for the Goodyears?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I paid about $70 for a Goodyear 14" Marathon, mounted and balanced, in Iowa City, Iowa last November.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
Carole

Default spare tire

I have a question for many of the bright people on this site. Yesterday, we took off a tire on our 2619 TM. Took out the spare and placed it on the TM. This tire has never been on the road. Does the wear factor apply to this tire just like it was used for the past few years. It has the same build date as the one we took off. I understand it is a good idea to replace tires about 5 years because of the UV. Having the trailer stored inside out of the weather, etc. Does this extend the life of the tire?

Thanks, Carole
2004 TM 2619
2004 Honda Pilot
Old 10-22-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default It's not just UV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole
I have a question for many of the bright people on this site. Yesterday, we took off a tire on our 2619 TM. Took out the spare and placed it on the TM. This tire has never been on the road. Does the wear factor apply to this tire just like it was used for the past few years. It has the same build date as the one we took off. I understand it is a good idea to replace tires about 5 years because of the UV. Having the trailer stored inside out of the weather, etc. Does this extend the life of the tire?
UV is generally the primary culprit in tire damage but oxidation damage (primarly caused by ozone but also resulting from just being exposed to oxygen) is also a cause of trailer tire failure.

All tires last longest if they're regularly exercised...the flexing during normal operation brings fresh antioxidants (the carbon black and oils embedded in the tire) to the surface. The problem with trailer tires is they sit for extended periods (often months) without being used...during which time the antioxidants on the tire surface are used up and oxidation damage occurs...and an unused spare will potentially have the most oxidation damage. So even though your spare has never been on the road and subjected to damage from road hazards, loading, possible hot running, etc., it's still potentially suffered from significant oxidation damage, most likely to the interior tire carcass walls.

Storing the trailer inside certainly minimizes damage from UV and weathering type oxidation and may reduce the damage from ozone and general oxidation. One tip that I found on the Goodyear website was to take the trailer's weight off the tires during storage and then reduce tire pressure to about 10 psi. The underlying reason is that taking the weight off the tire minimizes the tire bulge (a place where the carcass is deformed and more subject to oxidation damage). Reducing the pressure during storage lessens the amount of interior oxidation damage.

I store my trailer inside my garage, live in an area with low ozone levels, and take most of the trailer's weight off the tires during winter...and my tires still look absolutely brand new after 4 towing seasons. Nonetheless, I'm replacing all of them (including the never used spare) after either the 5th or 6th towing season.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote