TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
Hejeharger

Default Kia Sedona/2619 no problem

I was surprised to hear of the minivan problems. We took our 2619 to Missouri this July via the mountains of Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky with no problems. The temperature guage never budged from its normal point. The car does come standard with a transmission cooler. We were going 65+ on the highway even with the 7% grade warnings and did have milage drop from the average of 17 mpg to 14 mpg. Rpms did get up over 4000 when the auto would downshift from 5th to 3rd on the steeper highway hills. Out of West Virginia 4th gear pulled up most of the time. On steeper hills I would also sometimes take the car out of cruise let it slow down to about 60 so it could stay in 4th.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
camperboy

By fifth gear do you mean overdrive? Never have come across anyone towing with a Kia at all. Honestly didn't even know they could tow something as large as a TM at all. Anyhow, I was just curious about the 5th gear. Most manufacturers reccomend not towing at all in OD to prevent trans damage. What does Kia's owner's manual say? Minds that collect information they will most likely never need are wondering.

Camperboy
Old 08-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
Hejeharger

Default overdrive

Interesting, the directions simply say to drive with the shift lever in drive to avoid overheating (the only other choice would be 3 which is reccomended for going down steep hills). There is no mention of disengaging the overdrive which is a separate button of the shift selector except for helping braking on downhill. The car is much more powerful than the v-6 Voyeger we had before and will even accelerate and pass without downshifting at highway speeds. When I have wanted to pass on a hill, it pulls the trailer up and out quickly with a one gear downshift.

hejeharger