TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
coralcruze

Default 12V power side question in a 2005 2720 Trailmanor

Does anyone know if the 12V electrical side on the 2005 TM is AC or DC current?

Any issues or special consideration I need to install new LED patio lights? I am also considering adding an LED light strip to be powered on the same circuit and switch as my patio light is on.

I plan on upgrading to the following lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075Y...Q1POP4BF&psc=1

And

https://www.boogeylights.com/awning-...utm_medium=cpc

Anyone have any expierience with these or installing similar lights?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_121310.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	950.8 KB
ID:	20757   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220425_121323.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	20758  
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Does anyone know if the 12V electrical side on the 2005 TM is AC or DC current?

Any issues or special consideration I need to install new LED patio lights? I am also considering adding an LED light strip to be powered on the same circuit and switch as my patio light is on.

I plan on upgrading to the following lights:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075Y...Q1POP4BF&psc=1

And

https://www.boogeylights.com/awning-...utm_medium=cpc

Anyone have any expierience with these or installing similar lights?

Thanks in advance.
Nice to have you in the forum! 12 volts systems are DC (Direct Current) The lights you have chosen are, IMO great replacements/add-ons.

Post pictures when you are done to show off!

Kory
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Kory says, 12-volt systems operate from a battery, which is always DC.

One thing to consider is the converter installed in your TM. In more or less the time frame you are talking about, TM used converters from Magnetek, aka Parallax As I recall, the model numbers were in the 6300 or 7300 series. These early converters had a couple of issues. One of them was that the DC output - the one that powers most of the circuits in the TM, including lights - was unfiltered. Short but significant over-voltages were common. Incandescent lights don't care about these short transients, but LEDs are (or were) sensitive to them. Early burnout of LEDs was a common result.

If you don't have a Magnetek or Parallax converter, it is not an issue. And it is possible that LEDs are over-voltage-protected these days - early ones were not.

Just something to think about.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
Nice to have you in the forum! 12 volts systems are DC (Direct Current) The lights you have chosen are, IMO great replacements/add-ons.

Post pictures when you are done to show off!

Kory
Thanks Kory,
Just needed a check because someone at boogie lights said something funny to me that did not make much sense. They stated that I might have a 12v AC system and not DC. I always knew 12V to be DC.

Anyhow, if I go through with it I will def. post pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As Kory says, 12-volt systems operate from a battery, which is always DC.

One thing to consider is the converter installed in your TM. In more or less the time frame you are talking about, TM used converters from Magnetek, aka Parallax As I recall, the model numbers were in the 6300 or 7300 series. These early converters had a couple of issues. One of them was that the DC output - the one that powers most of the circuits in the TM, including lights - was unfiltered. Short but significant over-voltages were common. Incandescent lights don't care about these short transients, but LEDs are (or were) sensitive to them. Early burnout of LEDs was a common result.

If you don't have a Magnetek or Parallax converter, it is not an issue. And it is possible that LEDs are over-voltage-protected these days - early ones were not.

Just something to think about.

Bill
Awe shucks Bill I think I have one of the units you mention. I was hoping to get a little more light out there but seems like it's going to be a harder call than just checking the circuit for total amps. I dont want to have to switch out LED units as much as I have to switch out bulbs.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Up until a few months ago, we had a Parallax 6300 converter, and it had worked fine with LED retrofit lights we put into the existing fixtures. Got them from Command Electronics. Most of our camping was boondocking, but we've had those lights for 10+ years, and still had many hours where they were powered by the converter.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:01 AM   #6
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

We have a 2005 2720 that had a Parallax converter. I had upgraded the lights early on to LED's with no issues. I have since changed out the converter as well and you might consider it. It is very straightforward and has a few improvements over the old parallax, the big one being the charging system.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Up until a few months ago, we had a Parallax 6300 converter, and it had worked fine with LED retrofit lights we put into the existing fixtures. Got them from Command Electronics. Most of our camping was boondocking, but we've had those lights for 10+ years, and still had many hours where they were powered by the converter.

Dave
Interesting... i might give the patio lights a go and see. May I ask, you state the converter was replaced. Was there an issue with it or were you just upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagizzi View Post
We have a 2005 2720 that had a Parallax converter. I had upgraded the lights early on to LED's with no issues. I have since changed out the converter as well and you might consider it. It is very straightforward and has a few improvements over the old parallax, the big one being the charging system.
Why did you change your converter if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-26-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Let me answer (on (behalf of Jim, and others)

Quote:
Interesting... i might give the patio lights a go and see. May I ask, you state the converter was replaced. Was there an issue with it or were you just upgrading?

The original Parallax had a strong tendency to overcharge batteries, basically "boiling them to death" at a young age.

Many versions of the subsequent WFCO charges have had a strong tendency to leave batteries undercharged (a bad thing for Lead-Acid batteries, and also reducing the amount of stored power available for your use).

Although I have bought an excellent "WildKat" upgrade, which could do a nearly perfect job with lead acid battery types, I'm not entirely please with the way it handles Lithium batteries. https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-465...te-_p_677.html. I might be doing another upgrade into a fully programmable "Victron" converter, with a small issue of having to implement my own exhaust fan for when it gets overly warm.

But I would also have to settle for 30A maximum charging current, down from the 55-60A which the WildKat can provide. (That would be a show-stopper for a person who chargers batteries from a generator, because it basically doubles the charging time.) Since I don't use any large 12-VDC appliances when I'm plugged in, and have no generator, that is irrelevant for me - but a VERY big deal for others.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #9
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
The original Parallax had a strong tendency to overcharge batteries, basically "boiling them to death" at a young age.

Many versions of the subsequent WFCO charges have had a strong tendency to leave batteries undercharged (a bad thing for Lead-Acid batteries, and also reducing the amount of stored power available for your use).

Although I have bought an excellent "WildKat" upgrade, which could do a nearly perfect job with lead acid battery types, I'm not entirely please with the way it handles Lithium batteries. https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-465...te-_p_677.html. I might be doing another upgrade into a fully programmable "Victron" converter, with a small issue of having to implement my own exhaust fan for when it gets overly warm.

But I would also have to settle for 30A maximum charging current, down from the 55-60A which the WildKat can provide. (That would be a show-stopper for a person who chargers batteries from a generator, because it basically doubles the charging time.) Since I don't use any large 12-VDC appliances when I'm plugged in, and have no generator, that is irrelevant for me - but a VERY big deal for others.

Excellent write up. Appreciate your expierience here. I have seen battery overcharge protection devices for RVs. Wouldn't that work with the Parallax converters to protect batteries?
Old 04-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:

I upgraded converters because I installed lithium batteries, which were expensive and not compatible with the charging algorithm of the old converter.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote