TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #1
coralcruze

Default lift kit for 2720

I searched the site for install vids or pics of where weld points might be on a 2005 2720 and cant seem to find any. does anyone know if there are any welds on the dexter axle in this model. I need to do a lift kit on it and plan on using the factiry lift kit which I believe is 2" tube with 8" OC bolt holes.

so the whole reason for doing this is I tool the tire off on the door side of the TM and noticed the fender well had a huge hole in it from the tire coming in contact with it. I inspected the other side but it was perfectly fine. so started wondering why this might have occurred. is it possible I have a bad dexter torsion arm on that side? or is it just rough bumpy roads I traveled? I was up at baxter state park in Maine last year which had some rough parts in the campground. but it does seem that the tire had to be rubbing quite a few times to chew up that fender well. thankfully I did not get a blow out but this did deform the tire treads compared to the other side. Anyhow, I wanted to get the lift kit installed to get additional clearance. Hope someone can chime in with any ideas why this may be happening and if I should be concerned that this is a failing torsion arm on the dexter axle or a TM design oversight?
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

As far as the welds and install goes. Here are pics from my install that I did on my 2005 2720SL about 10-years ago. The first pic is from my current trailer (2009 2720SL) that I haven't lifted yet (it's on my to-do-list).

The welds must be cut away in order to lift the frame off of the axle so that you can insert the lift kit with the longer bolts. I used a 4" angle grinder, leather gloves and a face shield to grind away those welds. If I remember correctly, the welds on my 2005 TM went all the way across the frame so don't be surprised if your welds are much larger than the welds in this picture.

The hardest part of the install (for me) was getting my big hands through that oblong hole in the frame to insert and hold the longer bolts. I did not weld in the lift kit. I used red Loctite and double nuts on the bolts. I know that some did have theirs welded.

I didn't buy the TM lift kit. I opted to go to our local steel scrap yard and buy 2, 12" long pieces of 2" tubing (3/16" thick) for the spacers. I thought that the TM tubing was too light weight. I also made crush sleeves out of 1/2" water pipe nipples that I cut to exactly to fit inside the 2" square tubing. The bolts go the through frame > upper hole in 2" spacer > crush sleeve > lower hole in spacer > axle mounting bracket > double nuts. I bought grade 8 bolts & nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3609a.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	20676   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03507.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	20677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03508.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	20678  
Old 03-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
coralcruze

Thank you for your reply wavery. I actually have a picture if the weld on mine. Someone decided to actually do a good job and welded the whole plate on the side as you can see. I am going to assume that there is another weld on the other side of the plate on both sides as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220328-005554_Gallery.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	887.5 KB
ID:	20679  
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
coralcruze

Do you recall what the center to center holes were on the 2720 and the diameter of the holes were on the frame?
Old 03-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just FYI, another member, Bill Miller, added a lift kit to his TM, and did a nice write up of the process. It is in the Trailmanor Technical Library, which every member should get familiar with. His thread is found at
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=12132
He was lucky - the join wasn't welded. But he still might be able to help you with other issues.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Just FYI, another member, Bill Miller, added a lift kit to his TM, and did a nice write up of the process. It is in the Trailmanor Technical Library, which every member should get familiar with. His thread is found at
https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=12132
He was lucky - the join wasn't welded. But he still might be able to help you with other issues.

Bill

Thanks Bill I just private messaged him so.e questions. I did read his write up. He is very lucky he had no welds to cut out. I am not so lucky as it seems that whoever welded mine did an excellent job. 😬
Old 03-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

The factory did make a change in the Dexter axels starting around 2007. The previous axle had a down angle of 22 degrees. The newer axels had a down angle of 45 degrees. Thus most 2007 models, and all models afterward do not need the 2.5 inch lift kit.

This thread has the information: https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...light=lift+kit

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post
Thank you for your reply wavery. I actually have a picture if the weld on mine. Someone decided to actually do a good job and welded the whole plate on the side as you can see. I am going to assume that there is another weld on the other side of the plate on both sides as well.
Ya, my 2005 was just like that. It took some work to grind all of that weld off of the frame to have a smooth surface for the spacer to sit on. It is welded on both sides of the mounting bracket on each side of the trailer (4-welds total).

It looks like some of their welders were a little sloppier than others.

I don't remember the bolt size but if I had to guess, I'd say 5/8". If you get your own materials, be sure to drill the spacers on a drill press to keep everything lined up.

I'm going to put spacers on my 2009, even though the axle angle has increased. I still scrape in my driveway and some gas stations. You'll be glad that you did it. It gives you more tire clearance if you want to go to 15" tires at some point too.

By the way....... the link posted above is different from your trailer. That's an older trailer that had brackets welded on the side of the frame. You aren't that lucky.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:31 PM   #9
kjfatl

After installing the lift kit I had two questions that I never got answers to:
-- How tight should the bolts be torqued?
-- Should the welds be replaced after adding the lift kit?
kjfatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

My auto mechanic mentor back in the day used to say “Tight is tight and too tight is broken”…
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote