TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
newbe

Default Towing a 1998 T.M. 3023

Have a 2003 Toyota Highlander V6 with a 30cc engine. Can I tow a TM 3023?
I have a friend who has offered me first crack at it.

Thank you for the info on using my vehicle for towing. Because the 3 replies received, I have decided to bypass buying this 3023.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Towing a 1998 T.M. 3023

Presumably you mean a 3000cc (3 liter) engine?

I know you are hoping for a simple yes or no answer, but no one will give you one (or at least probably shouldn't) because it depends on too many things. Please review this Towing Rigs section in some detail, and you will probably get the answer that is right for you.

The Highlander has received a lot of discussion on this board. See for example
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabb...11597#msg11597

For a more generalized approach to the question, please review the entire thread at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/yabb...10692#msg10692

There should be more than enough information in these areas to tell you how to make your decision.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
camperboy

Bill is right. No one can provide a concrete yes or now answer. But here's my opinion.

Hate to rain on your parade, but you couldn't pay me to drive that rig. I'd tent camp first. Just not enough TV for that much trailer. See the threads that Bill references. My inlaws recently got a Highlander and while it is a nice vehicle, it is designed to perform at a certain level. Towing a trailer like a TM isn't one of them, in my opinion. That said I think Toyo makes a great product, I have a 85 with over 170,000 on it. I currently see nothing stopping the odometer from hitting 200,000, except maybe the rust. ;D

In short, when I see a combination like the Highlander/TM3032 on the road I give it LOTS of room. I feel that my Ranger is maxxed out towing my 3023 and it's rated just over 5600#, has a longer wheelbase, higher GVWR and stronger brakes.

Toyo does make appropriate TVs for a TM. RockyMtnRay's Tundra, for one example, or a larger SUV (4-Runner, Sequioa, etc). Proper research would show you which vehicle is right for you and a TM.

Be safe.
Camperboy
Old 07-18-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Ditto to Camperboy's excellent remarks and a couple more thoughts....

I checked the location and see it's California. California towing almost inevitably means crossing mountains with the concomitant steeper grades, lower power at higher altitude, etc. It also normally means much higher ambient temperatures. All of this means you need to strictly keep your maximum, loaded trailer weight to less than 80% of the vehicle's "tow rating".

Furthermore, the 3023 is a deceptive unit...its empty weight is fairly light but it has the storage capacity and carrying capacity (e.g. heavy duty axle) to allow, even encourage heavy loading. 'Tis very easy to bring a 3023 up to 5000 lbs loaded.

A loaded 3023 is simply way too much trailer...both in length and weight...for a Highlander to tow...period. The Highlander's 3500 lb "tow rating" is based on a completely empty, minimum option, empty gas tank, no passengers situation...and at that it's just barely greater than the weight of a typically equipped yet completely unloaded 3023. In other words, a Highlander with a small driver (and no passengers or load) might suffice to bring home an empty 3023 from the dealer. Even with an empty 3023, it would be way over its design limit the instant you put some passengers and cargo in the Hiighlander and filled the gas tank. Put some gear/food/water in the trailer and the Highlander would now be dangerously above its design capabilities.

I think Toyota makes great vehicles and I truly love my Tundra but I wouldn't tow a 3023 in California with any Toyota SUV smaller than either a Sequioa or Land Cruiser (equipped with the V8)...even a V8 4-Runner is a bit small in the wheelbase area.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote