TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGallegos View Post
If I were to pull out the battery during winter and then decide to open the TM to do some work inside or to use it as a temporary guest room, would I be able to operate most of the electrical equipment (not the A/C) with household shore-power or would I still need to re-install the battery?
I have done this before, not by physically removing the battery, but by disconnecting it simply by pulling the fuse. And of course, anyone who has ever had their main DC fuse blow (the one right next to the battery) has also done this.

As Bill said, there is no impact on AC circuits. Generally speaking, there is also no impact on DC circuits. The converter still outputs DC power, and all the DC circuits still operate. Older converters like mine, however, utilize the battery as a power filter, and so some DC devices might operate slightly different. The only one I have noticed being effected is LED lights -- there's a very slight flicker to them. Incandescent lights are not effected.

VERY IMPORTANT: If you do this, however, be absolutely 100% certain that the battery leads, which you've removed off the battery, are insulated and won't touch each other. You definitely don't want them touching each other, or shorting to each other through some other common conductor, like the aluminum floor, as you otherwise will almost certainly do some damage, possibly even a fire. Wrap some electrical tape on them and just make sure they are far apart so there is no chance the bare ends of the wire will touch.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:15 PM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Also, be sure you don't tow it without a battery installed, as the trailer's break away brakes will not be operational. Dangerous and also very much illegal.

Dave
Old 12-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
MrGallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post

VERY IMPORTANT: If you do this, however, be absolutely 100% certain that the battery leads, which you've removed off the battery, are insulated and won't touch each other. You definitely don't want them touching each other, or shorting to each other through some other common conductor, like the aluminum floor, as you otherwise will almost certainly do some damage, possibly even a fire. Wrap some electrical tape on them and just make sure they are far apart so there is no chance the bare ends of the wire will touch.

Dave
What about the bare ground wire (since it is all exposed wire)? Is that in anyway connected to the converter and thus will have electricity flow when plugged to shore power?
Old 12-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The black negative wire and the bare ground wire cannot do any harm by touching anything that is grounded. And if you carefully insulate the red positive wire, the ground lead cannot touch either. So you should be good. I think Dave's caution comes from the fact that the three wires (red, black, and bare) will be in close proximity to each other. All are long and floppy, and you have to maintain physical control of them, so they don't touch anything that they shouldn't as you move things around in the battery compartment. I might coil them up separately, and either bag the coils, or tie them down somehow, to prevent motion. The backup, as Dave says, is simply to remove the main battery fuse that is in the little holder less than a foot alo0ng the red wire from the battery positive post.

Incidentally, the black wire and the bare wire are connected together, and to the aluminum wall skins and the trailer frame, and so they are the same electrically.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:35 AM   #15
MrGallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I set up my TM this way. I actually connect the Maintainer through the Bargman cable up front, where it emulates the charge line from the tow vehicle and keeps the battery voltage at the proper level. Then, just like arriving at a campground, I can plug in the TM's big black AC power cord, and power up all the AC and DC systems.

Bill
Thanks for this idea Bill, I bought the Maintainer and connected it to the Bargman cable up front and charged the battery. It worked good!
Old 02-16-2022, 07:31 AM   #16
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

You can also install a battery cutoff switch so that you can easily shutoff the battery from the rest of the system. Pretty straightforward addition and well worth it in my opinion. There are many times when I am working on the trailer that I want the battery isolated. The hardest part is making your own cables. A hammer crimper takes care of that and makes it easy.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #17
MrGallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagizzi View Post
You can also install a battery cutoff switch so that you can easily shutoff the battery from the rest of the system. Pretty straightforward addition and well worth it in my opinion. There are many times when I am working on the trailer that I want the battery isolated. The hardest part is making your own cables. A hammer crimper takes care of that and makes it easy.
Yes, that is one of my next projects. I have already purchased the switch https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...lo/SE29VR.html

1. I just need to find the best place to install it. Any recommendations for an easy to install location?

2. Also, does the switch need to attach to the positive of negative wire from the battery?

3. What gauge wire? Is it #10 ?
Old 02-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #18
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Also, be sure you don't tow it without a battery installed, as the trailer's break away brakes will not be operational. Dangerous and also very much illegal.

Dave
As a matter of clarification, while the "break away" system is a redundant safety measure. It is NOT legally required in all States. YMMV
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGallegos View Post
1. I just need to find the best place to install it. Any recommendations for an easy to install location?
Since my battery is in the rear tool compartment, installed my switch in the left bumper compartment just below it. That made it easy to drop the wire down through the floor between the compartments.

Quote:
2. Also, does the switch need to attach to the positive of negative wire from the battery?
Electrically, either one will disconnect the battery. However, it is traditional to install it in the positive wire. If there is more than one wire connecting to the battery post, be sure that all of them go through the switch.

Quote:
3. What gauge wire? Is it #10 ?
#10 is fine, nothing smaller.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #20
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmikesell View Post
As a matter of clarification, while the "break away" system is a redundant safety measure. It is NOT legally required in all States. YMMV
Just because something is not legally required doesn't mean it's something you should skip. Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle or motorcycle is also not legally required in some states, despite the fact it literally could save your life. Could you ride without a helmet every day without it for your life and do just fine? Absolutely. And that's exactly what some people decide to do, but I personally think it is universally stupid to do so.

And don't forget criminal and civil courts have different burdens of proof, with the latter having a much lower bar. Further, you have to violate a law to have criminal culpability. There is no such requirement in civil court.

To each his own!

Dave