TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
JohnMD

Default Battery Cable Questions

Hi all,

The positive cable going to my battery (picture attached) has two issues. (1) It appears that under prior ownership, the cable was spliced and wrapped in electrical tape. (2) The white plastic housing for the fuse is cracked and it keeps popping apart. As such, I would like to replace this portion of the battery cable with something new and better. A few questions, as I know many of you have much electrical knowledge.

1. What is the proper way to splice a battery cable? I've seen information on how to crimp connectors onto wire, but not wire to wire connections and recall that there is a better method than wire nuts.

2. I've looked online and I am not seeing a matching style of cable with fuse. Any thoughts on what to look for?

3. I recently purchased a Battery Tender. It is my understanding that the proper method of charging is to disconnect the TM cables from the battery prior to connecting the Battery Tender. Is this really true or is it okay to leave the battery connected to the TM when charging with the Battery Tender (at least for shorter periods of a few weeks)? It is a bit of a hassle getting under the front shell when closed to disconnect the battery. If disconnecting is essential, would it be okay to add terminals with multiple ring connectors, and then have two separate sets of cables coming from the battery terminals with SAE quick connects -- one set for the Battery Tender and one set that has a positive wire to the TM and negative to the frame? After parking, I could open the battery box, disconnect the SAE that goes to the TM and then connect the SAE that goes to the Batttery Tender. Does this make sense? Or perhaps, could this be done with just one set of SAE cables coming from the battery terminals, switching the other end between TM and Battery Tender?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	20161  
Old 08-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

The best way to splice the battery cable is just a simple crimp splice and heat shrink. And ditch that style fuse, use an automotive ATC style fuse. As for the battery tender, it’s best to disconnect the battery. Why not just wire in a cutoff switch? And then you can buy a set of leads for the battery tender that are permanently connected to the battery and just plug into the battery tender cable. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
JohnMD

Shane,

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the cutoff switch. Looks like what I need is an "inline ATC fuse holder," some 10 AWG wire, the appropriate heat shrink connectors, and a crimping tool. The Battery Tender comes with a cable with ring connectors on one end and the SAE connector on the other end that can be left on. For the cutoff switch, any suggestions on a style or brand? I see on YouTube that some people mount them right on the battery box, which seems like what I'd do. Also, some have a "key" that comes in and out, while some have a permanent switch. I like the idea of the permanent switch so I don't need to keep track of the key.

John
Old 08-09-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Or forget the ATC style fuse and install a reset-able circuit breaker. That would double as a cutoff switch.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote