TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #1
Campin Carol

Default HELP -AC power doesnt't work

Hello, I scrolled through threads but couldnt find anything on how to test if my AC cord is bad. We just set up camp at KOA and our interior lights work fine except the ones in the front and the fridge and fridge fan don't work. I have a surge protector so I know the power is good coming from the source. I also flipped my breakers but they didn't seem to be tripped. Lastly, I noticed when set up at my house, there was a little red light on in the fuse box but that is not on now.

Any suggestions? I'm in Cape Hatteras so thankfully it's nice and breezy!
Campin Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:35 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Do you have the bathroom set up yet? There is a switch in the bathroom wall that activates the power the the front shell. The fridge not working could be a separate issue. We usually put the fridge on propane, but have used the AC mode before.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hmmm. Mixed symptoms.

You say that your surge protector appears to be on. Can you unplug your surge protector and plug the big black cord directly into the outlet on the power post? Does anything change?

Do any of the TM's outlets work? Plug anything that you could use in the house into any TM outlet. A lamp, a heater, a fan that works on a wall plug (not battery-operated) - something like that. Do any of them work?

You should know that the TM has two separate electrical systems. One is AC power (aka 120VAC), coming directly from the campground power pedestal via the big black cord. The other is DC power (aka 12VDC) coming from the TM's on-board battery, which in turn is charged by 102 VAC. All of the TM's lights are powered by 12VDC, and you say they all work, but you can't tell if they are being powered by the battery charger, or the battery itself. So that is interesting, but not much help. Incidentally, the two front lights are individually switched, but there is also a switch in one of the ceiling vent fan enclosures that control them. Find this switch, and I bet the front lights will come on.

The fridge can work on either AC or DC power, depending on the position of the switch on its front panel. You didn't mention which position it is in, so that doesn't tell us much.

The refrig fan operates on 12VDC. Are you sure it doesn't work? It is quiet - perhaps you are simply not hearing it.

Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Campin Carol

Thanks for the replies and helpful information. I guess i just to wait a few more hours. By morning the fridge was cold and the fan woked, too. It is quiet but I usually can hear it. Perhaps the battery just wore down too much while I had it unplugged the night before. Thanks for being there. We were safe and dry in our TM for last night's storm.
Campin Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Carol View Post
Thanks for the replies and helpful information. I guess i just to wait a few more hours. By morning the fridge was cold.
Just a factoid to note. Yes, the refrig is very slow to cool down. This is not a fault of the refrig. These 3-way refrigerators operate on a different principle from your home refrigerator, and the price you pay for 3-way capability is slow cooling. After I first turn on the refrig, I let it run for 3 or 4 hours, then put my hand on the freezer floor. That is where you will first feel the cold, so it takes that long to know that the refrig is even running. Full cold will take several more hours. So the bottom line is - when you are getting ready to go on a trip, start the refrig the night before, and then load it with pre-chilled food before you pull out. Never put warm food into the refrig.

Another note. Do not operate the refrig on battery if the TM is not plugged into an electric power source. The refrig will drain the TM battery very quickly (which is what I suspect happened to you) unless the TM's battery charger is powered up to replenish the battery. If you need to run the refrig when there is no plug-in electricity available, run it on gas (propane).

Bill
Old 06-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Carol View Post
Thanks for the replies and helpful information. I guess i just to wait a few more hours. By morning the fridge was cold.
Just a factoid to note. Yes, the refrig is very slow to cool down. This is not a fault of the refrig. There 3-way refrigerators operate on a different principle from your home refrigatator, and the price you pay for 3-way capability is slow cooling. When I first turn the refrig on, I usually go away for 3 or 4 hours, then put my hand on the freezer floor. That is where you will first feel the cold. So the bottom line is - when yo are getting ready to go on a trip, turn on the refrig the night before, and then load it with pre-chilled food before you pull out. Never put warm food into the refrig.

Another note. Do not operate the refrig on battery if the TM is not plugged into an electric power source. The refrig will drain the TM battery very quickly (which is what I suspect happened to you) unless the battery charger is powered up to replenish the battery. If you need to run the refrig when there is no plug-in electricity available, run it on gas (propane).

Bill

Tags
30 amp, breaker, no ac