TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
trailbiker

Default Winter Towing

My wife and I are thinking about taking a break from new England winter and heading south in January or Feb. Just wondering if any members have experience towing during the winter.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Several years ago, my wife and I left southern NH, headed south for warmer weather. On the second afternoon, we pulled into our planned campground in Pennsylvania Dutch country, and enjoyed the rest of the day and the evening, touring, chatting, and eating. Although we planned to leave the next day, we woke up to more than a foot of snow on the ground. The owners assured us that the campground would be plowed out by noon, and we would be able to leave then, but our plan was to leave earlier. Our tow vehicle had 4 wheel drive, and could easily get out of the campground and onto the road - plowed, but still slippery in the early morning. We were confident that with some effort, we could tug the TM through the snow and out on the road, too, but we had to hope that the road crews would sand and salt by the time we got out there. What to do? After some thought, we decided to leave the TM in the campground, and enjoy another day with the locals. We had a lot of fun with the unexpected leisure time, and the lack of crowds (the Amish are very hospitable when not overwhelmed by the thundering hordes). We had made a good decision.

The lesson is simple. Be prepared to be flexible. Rigid adherence to a schedule can be dangerous. Leave some slack in your schedule, in case you need it. If you have to stay over in one campground, call the next one and ask them to move your reservation back a day. Most likely they will be willing, since blizzard season is likely not overcrowded for them.

Don't allow yourself to get frantic. Relax. Make the unexpected into an enjoyable event.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Yep, watch the weather so you are not driving in a storm

Also, bring what you need yo winterize when traveling. Just about every December we are headed back to Ohio after seeing the kids in fl, nc and va. Most of the time I'm winterizing in VA or ky. Most of the times when I leave in November I'm winterized and have to de-winterize in the south. This trip it was GA.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote