TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Padgett
TrailManor Master

The I'net says a 2013 Town and Country with 3.6 engine (Pentastar) can tow 3600 lbs "when properly equipped".

Now I am pretty sure the drivetrain is about the same as my '12 Jeep (5,000 lb tow rating) so the issue may be the rear suspension and receiver mounting structure.

However the first question is do you have a 1.25" or 2" receiver ? (size of the square channel the hitch slides into).
Old 09-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
oldstick
TrailManor Master

My opinion, is there is no way I would do that with a 3124, even if equipped to the max. You would be already at or over the max from the get go. Not counting the extra weight of trailer cargo, trailer options, passengers/cargo in the van, etc. etc.

Tried it before with a minivan rated for 2000 lbs with a small pop-up camper that was supposedly a "dry weight" of 1300. The transmission didn't make it to 90K miles, even though we towed infrequently.

However, I think the Caravan might still be rear wheel drive, which makes it better than the Windstar we had at that time. Probably one reason it is rated to 3000+ vs 2000.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Key to transmission life is threefold:
1) Transmission oil cooler
2) Transmission temperature gauge (I keep under 190F indicated)
3) Downshift manually so trans can stay locked up under load & stay out of power enrichment (drive gentle).

ps I get 17-18 mpg towing my 2720 at 65 mph

pps I used to tow with a Pontiac TranSport with 3800 and towing package, not a TM but many cars on a dolly. Even a FWD minivan can be quite capable.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
My opinion, is there is no way I would do that with a 3124, even if equipped to the max. You would be already at or over the max from the get go. Not counting the extra weight of trailer cargo, trailer options, passengers/cargo in the van, etc. etc.

Tried it before with a minivan rated for 2000 lbs with a small pop-up camper that was supposedly a "dry weight" of 1300. The transmission didn't make it to 90K miles, even though we towed infrequently.

However, I think the Caravan might still be rear wheel drive, which makes it better than the Windstar we had at that time. Probably one reason it is rated to 3000+ vs 2000.
Completely agree with Padgett that the engine/transmission combo can do the job, it's the chassis that concerns me. Plus it appears it's front wheel drive which makes it even a bigger question for me, but it's not my decision. The blurb from Autoblog:

2013 Town & Country Overview
Chrysler puts a luxurious spin on the minivan with the Town & Country. Innovative seating and upscale features inside and out set this van apart from the competition.The most important feature, both from a usability stand-point and competitive stand-point, is that this van features Stow'n Go seats. The second and third-row seats can be folded into the floor. No more fumbling to release and remove awkward heavy seats and then try to find a suitable place to store them. Combine this with Chryslers new seat trim that repels all but the most caustic stains, and you have a truly family-friendly vehicle. A 3.6-liter V6 sends power through a six-speed automatic transmission to the front wheels. All trims come equipped with features such as a tilt and telescoping steering column, remote keyless entry, steering wheel mounted audio controls and a tire pressure monitor. Available features include Smartbeam headlamps, a navigation system, power sliding doors, remote start and satellite radio.The Town & Country Touring gains standard 17-inch wheels and tires for 2013 (up from 16-inch in 2012).
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 AM   #15
jrhughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
The I'net says a 2013 Town and Country with 3.6 engine (Pentastar) can tow 3600 lbs "when properly equipped".

However the first question is do you have a 1.25" or 2" receiver ? (size of the square channel the hitch slides into).
It's a 2 inch receiver, front wheel drive but has a shifter so you can shift manually too. I can't seem to see the brand name on the brake controller that we installed under the dash for the tent trailer.

We're re-thinking the TM altogether. I guess it was too good to be true. Sad though.
jrhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 AM   #16
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Nothing wrong with FWD - I towed a lot with a Pontiac Transport - just without a WDH the tongue weight will unload the front tires so more of a concern than with RWD. Do think you would be better off with a smaller unit like a 2417 which still has a king bed.

Key is to find out what the limiting area is for a T&C and address it but is not the powertrain (though may need more cooling - can you display the transmission oil temp on the dash like my '12 ?

Limiting factor could be the standard tire size load rating which is 225x65x16/1764 lbs coupled with a curb weight of 4652 lbs but again with a WDH that could be helped. My Jeep is about 200 lbs lighter and has 245x70x17s
Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #17
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhughes View Post
We're re-thinking the TM altogether. I guess it was too good to be true. Sad though.
Take a look at the smaller TMs - the smallest 2417 is just over 2,000 lbs, and I believe the smaller sport deck model, 16RD Sport Deck, is about 1,700 lbs. Depending on your family size, they may work.

Also, check out the A-liners and Chalet folding trailers. They are A-frame units, which really used to restrict headroom, but they've recently added some optional dormer fold-outs to change that. I saw some at the RV show in Hershey a few weeks ago, and they seemed quite roomy. (Kinda like this: http://aliner.com/campers/classic/, but I'm not sure if those specific dormers in that picture are hard sided. In any event, they are well under 2,000 lbs.....looks to be in the 1,700 lbs range.

In my opinion, it's hard to beat a canvas pop-up for cost, size, weight, and overall versatility. They are pretty amazing units.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
Padgett
TrailManor Master

unless you want/need AC and bear protection. Also where do you put solar panels ?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #19
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would make sure I had the factory tow package. I believe the T&C has two different tow limits, with and without tow package.

My next concern would be the tongue weight. I'm thinking the 3124 will have a tongue weight loaded between 400 and 500+ lbs. The rear end of the T&C would have a lot of rear end squat. I would go with both rear airbags/air shocks and a wdh.

Chrysler T&C had a weak transmission somewhere in the late 90's or early 2000 and lots of issues. I would also add a good B&M double stack transmission cooler rated for 20,000+ BTU's

I would rethink if using the T&C if I was doing a lot of mountain driving???
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Try to find the following information:
1. Gross combined weight rating (GCWR). You may be able to pack the trailer to keep it under the 3600 lbs, and pack all your gear in the back of the minivan. Only the GCWR will tell you how much total weight your TV can handle.

2. Try to find the gross axle weight rating rear (GAWR rear). This will tell you better how much you can pack in the rear.

You can take your TV and trailer to a weigh station to find out how close you are to the above values.

I have a Tahoe and took 5 people to Kamloops. The Tahoe has a towing rating of nearly 8000 lbs. By the time we packed and left with me and 4 passengers, our total weight weight was 10000 lbs. The GCWR for the Tahoe is about 12000 lbs so we are Ok there. However, we were at the maximum weight rating for the trailer axle, and over weight on the rear truck axle. For us, this means we just have to pack more wisely.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote