TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #31
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

My Tahoe is pretty old school. No built in sway control for sure. I towed it from Tacoma to Vancouver and never experienced any sway. Granted, it was unloaded, but I wasn't using a WDH with anti sway.

Most would say antisway control is overkill, and I'd tend to agree. lf you look at the TM wheels, they're significantly farther to the back than other trailers. Normally this would increase the tongue weight a lot, but the TM is more lightweight than others.

The only thing I'd argue for is a WDH. Some here will argue that it's unnecessary, but it will literally shift the weight from the rear axle to the front. This might help with steering and handling.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #32
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
So, Bill, do you think this built in sway control on the Toyota is enough for towing a Trailmanor? My husband and I are undecided.
I think Larry in the post above has covered it. I have never used sway control of any kind. Granted, my current truck (F-150 super-cab) has a long wheelbase which mitigates sway. But for years we towed with an Explorer, which has a MUCH shorter wheelbase (about 114"). A Tacoma will have a wheelbase of either 127" or 140" depending on the bed configuration - considerably more than the Explorer. And a Tundra will be even longer than that. I wold not hesitate to use either vehicle even if it had no sway control at all.

In our Explorers, we have been in every conceivable sway-inducing situation, and neither my wife nor I (we each drive about half the time) have ever felt sway. Quite simply, TMs are built not to sway! As Larry pointed out, it works.

Again I am with Larry on the issue of a WDH.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #33
momto4girls

Larry and Bill...thanks very much for your input! We probably need a wdh with the Tacoma. I just worry about blow outs so much--I don't want too much weight on those trailer tires. We did upgrade to Taskmaster load range D tires. I worry too much.

My husband ultimately decided to stick with the Tacoma. So we are picking up our new tow vehicle on Friday. 3rd gen Tacos get better gas mileage...
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #34
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I don't want too much weight on those trailer tires. We did upgrade to Taskmaster load range D tires. I worry too much.
Making yourself aware of the weight on your rig's tires - all of them - is a good thing. To make yourself aware, you should weigh your rig. It is cheap and easy, and takes only a couple minutes. This is how you do it.

When you get your TM all packed up and ready to camp, and your new Tacoma all packed up and full of people and stuff, and the TM on the Tacoma's hitch, you drop by your friendly neighborhood CAT Scale (catscale.com), no appointment needed. Go inside, fork over 10 bucks, then go back out and drive onto the scale. That's it - they will print out the weight of your rig on all three axles individually. Now compare the printout weight on the Tacoma's rear axle (called the Drive Axle on the printout) to the Tacoma's rear axle weight rating (called GAWR-Rear) on the sticker in the driver's door.

My point? It is not just the TM tires that count. It is surprisingly easy to overload the rear axle of most any tow vehicle. You need to be aware of the weight on the tow vehicle tires just as much as the trailer tires.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Making yourself aware of the weight on your rig's tires - all of them - is a good thing. To make yourself aware, you should weigh your rig. It is cheap and easy, and takes only a couple minutes. This is how you do it.

When you get your TM all packed up and ready to camp, and your new Tacoma all packed up and full of people and stuff, and the TM on the Tacoma's hitch, you drop by your friendly neighborhood CAT Scale (catscale.com), no appointment needed. Go inside, fork over 10 bucks, then go back out and drive onto the scale. That's it - they will print out the weight of your rig on all three axles individually. Now compare the printout weight on the Tacoma's rear axle (called the Drive Axle on the printout) to the Tacoma's rear axle weight rating (called GAWR-Rear) on the sticker in the driver's door.

My point? It is not just the TM tires that count. It is surprisingly easy to overload the rear axle of most any tow vehicle. You need to be aware of the weight on the tow vehicle tires just as much as the trailer tires.

Bill
Yes--We are planning to do this on our next camping trip.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #36
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Agree. My Jeep is the lightest GC available, 4475 lbs dry so figure 5,000 lbs. It has a 50/50 weight distro or 2500 lbs on the rear axle. the GAVR Rear is 3700 lbs. Take away 450 lbs tongue weight and 182 lb for a tank of gas & have over 500 lbs remaining.

Personally am more concerned about the 3500 lb TM axle.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #37
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default A slightly "mathematical" note:

Adding a WDH creates torque forces, which become counter-balanced in 3 ways:

#1, Weight is reduced at the rear axle of the Tow Vehicle (it has the shortest "moment arm" from the hitch), raising the axle height. Since this is the one which most easily becomes overweight in loading the TM and Trailer for a trip (and hooking them up), WDH is probably your friend.

#2, Weight is increased at the front axle of the Tow Vehicle - which is probably desirable, for purposes of control and braking. YMMV (a little bit).

#3, Weight is increased at the TM axle - which is undesirable, especially if you only have the 3500 lb axle.

If you find that your LOADED axle weights aren't "well balanced" at the CAT scale (i.e., equally far from "axle maximum rating" on a percentage basis), you can increase or decrease the number of chain links in your WDH to create better balance: If the TM axle is "heavy", but the rear TV axle is "light" - use less chain tension. If the TM axle is "lighter" and the rear TV axle is close to it's limits, tighten the WDH with more chain tension. And don't forget - whether you travel with the water tank filled is a big factor in TM total weight.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #38
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

For what it's worth, I own a 2016 Taco, Limited version, which is the first year of the third generation Tacomas. I believe the Limited version has a softer ride than the other models which sadly meant I have to go to a weight distribution hitch, but it works, making me happy again. Open highway, keeping the truck in the 4th gear (of 6) and with the ECT transmission button turned on, all which are the manual's recommendation, I can get 16-17 MPG, maybe even 18 with tail winds, always staying at 60 MPH.

When I tow to a park 40 minutes away traveling roads with red lights and stop signs, all 35-45 MPH limits, also with up and down hills, I will typically get 11 MPG. And I won't kid you, the power train on the Tacoma does some work when towing. I'm happy with the shift points but the truck certainly knows there is a load on that hitch.

I bet a Tundra will basically tow the TrailManor thinking nothing is hitched to it. So the mileage may not change much.

I have no regrets with the Taco. It fits in the garage in winter, it provides a nice ride for the 350 days I'm not towing something, it works well when I do tow and I'll be happy when it comes time to trade it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	15685  
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #39
momto4girls

Thanks for all the replies and input! I'm reading it all to dh. I especially appreciate hearing about your 2016 Taco, Brittany Dogs. I think the 2017 will serve us well. I admit, I was kind of hoping he would spring for the Tundra, but I'm not the one that has to commute in it everyday.

I'm going to do my dead level best to make sure we are doing what is best for our safety and what's good for the truck, so we will weigh our next time out with the TM.