TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #21
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Chrysler is having trouble getting the '17 diesel certified, a Ram Diesel may be hard to find.

I have a set of AirLifts for my GC but never needed them. Should be under a Benjamin.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #22
klpauba

The article referenced mentions that the sway control applies braking power to the individual trailer wheels. How would this work when the TM has only one bargman conductor to brake both wheels?
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Man, did Fiat/Chrysler put themselves in a bad spot with that VW-esque diesel scandal or what?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Man, did Fiat/Chrysler put themselves in a bad spot with that VW-esque diesel scandal or what?
A lot of happy people following the VW diesel scandal..... my boss's payout for his was a couple of thousand more than what he paid for his brand new VW a couple of years ago, and during that time, all maintenance was free from his dealership. So it basically turned out that he had free use of the VW while he had it, then made money in the end.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #25
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpauba View Post
The article referenced mentions that the sway control applies braking power to the individual trailer wheels. How would this work when the TM has only one bargman conductor to brake both wheels?
Great question. I would like an explanation for this, too.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #26
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Doubt it, just mild trailer braking should stop a sway. Is usually a harmonic speed but braking just the TV is not a good idea. Has to do with force vectors.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #27
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Doubt it, just mild trailer braking should stop a sway. Is usually a harmonic speed but braking just the TV is not a good idea. Has to do with force vectors.
Padgett,

My understanding about how to stop sway, was to reach down and manually hit the trailer brake on the controller, and slightly increase acceleration on the TV. Then after it is under control, back off on the accelerator and use the trailer brakes to slow down. Is that your understanding also?

And no I have never had any sway when pulling the TM. But years ago I had a real bad case when I went to get a load of 50 Christmas trees on a utility trailer. The fellows at the nursery loaded it all wrong and put all the heaviest trees on the back end of the trailer. There was NO tongue weight, and after I got out of their drive and up to about 45 mph it started shaking and I almost lost everything in the ditch. Shook about 1/2 of the trees off over 100 yards. Boy, what a mess. I learned real quick how to properly load a trailer on the side of a very busy highway...

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpauba View Post
The answer, of course, is that it can't. But as I mentioned in an earlier post in another thread, the system can mimic the same action by applying unequal braking to the tow vehicle's rear wheels. As the tongue of the trailer tries to move back and forth, the tow vehicle's braking system can apply unequal braking to its own wheels.

Think of it this way. If the trailer tongue tries to move to the left, it tries to move the rear end of the tow vehicle to the left. This has the effect of trying to make the tow vehicle's left rear wheel speed up, while at the same time slowing down the right rear wheel. If the braking system detects this, and applies more braking to the left wheel, it resists the movement of the trailer tongue, thus reducing sway.

More sophisticated systems (Traction Control?) can go one step further, by braking the left wheel while applying a bit of engine power to the right wheel. But unbalanced braking alone is quite effective.

Hope this makes sense.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #29
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The answer, of course, is that it can't. But as I mentioned in an earlier post in another thread, the system can mimic the same action by applying unequal braking to the tow vehicle's rear wheels. As the tongue of the trailer tries to move back and forth, the tow vehicle's braking system can apply unequal braking to its own wheels.

Think of it this way. If the trailer tongue tries to move to the left, it tries to move the rear end of the tow vehicle to the left. This has the effect of trying to make the tow vehicle's left rear wheel speed up, while at the same time slowing down the right rear wheel. If the braking system detects this, and applies more braking to the left wheel, it resists the movement of the trailer tongue, thus reducing sway.

More sophisticated systems (Traction Control?) can go one step further, by braking the left wheel while applying a bit of engine power to the right wheel. But unbalanced braking alone is quite effective.

Hope this makes sense.

Bill
So, Bill, do you think this built in sway control on the Toyota is enough for towing a Trailmanor? My husband and I are undecided.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #30
momto4girls

on towing with the 3rd gen Tacoma. They don't mention much about a lack of low end torque. Doesn't matter much to us since we only tow a few times a year and not long distances.