TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
jdickey

I tow a 21ft Triton boat and also a 20ft Starcraft popup trailer, and my Tundra will average 15 with the boat and 14 with the trailer. Tundra is the best 1/2 ton towing vehicle you can buy. It sponsors the BASS pro fishing tour, and almost all of the pros claim it has been their best towing vehicle that they have used.
jdickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

We all have different experiences. From the shapes the TM is almost entirely within my GC's slipstream (a camper shell on a pickup could do the same). I have a 290hp 6400 rpm V6 & on a Florida flatland at 65 with the TM get 17-18 mpg of 87 PON mostly on cruise control, about 4 mpg less than without @ 70. GC has a 5,000 lb tow rating and a Class III/IV receiver.

Newer ones with the 8 speed transmission get about 1.5 mpg more. "The best tow vehicle" is something of a holy war but have towed a lot more with a lot less.

Factory towing package with a 2" receiver is a plus.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default My opinion (it's complicated). Keep the Taco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
I'm curious what kind of gas mileage we would get towing the TM with a Tundra. My husband feels like towing greatly affects the gas mileage of the Tacoma. I'm wondering if having "more truck" means that towing would not affect the gas mileage as much. What do the expert towers say? He had a Tundra before this Tacoma. He likes driving the Tacoma better but will buy/lease whatever makes the most sense financially.
BTW, I've towed my TM (overloaded 2619) with both the 4.0 V6 (the predecessor of your 3.5L) AND the smaller of two Toyota V8 engines (which was 4.7L in that year.) The V6, shifted down by one gear my than the "automatic" selection, pulls the 2619 BETTER than the V8 ever did in Toyota-chosen "automatic" mode.
Based on my Toyota experience, the main issue with the Tacoma (while pulling your 2720) might be his choice of gears: If he lets the slush-box choose, it will prefer lower RPMs and sluggish response. Also, it will likely run "unlocked", with the transmission driving loose and using fluid coupling.
In towing smaller TMs with a Taco or 4R V6, it's best to always downshift by one gear on hills. By itself, it often choose 5th, (or 4th) when higher RPMs in the next gear down would be better for everything:
  1. The tranny would lock up and run efficiently , instead of wasting gas to cook the tranny fluid;
  2. the resulting gas mileage might be better than the lower gear.
  3. the responsiveness would be VASTLY improved.
Toyota V6 engines love to rev high, and they're indestructible. Don't try pulling the trailer with the engine lugging at 2800 RPM, pick a gear with 3500 (or even higher, on big hills). The Tundra V8s guzzle 30% more gas all the time. With the Taco, you're able to get great performance at Tundra-like gas consumption when you need it, and while burning significantly less gas when you don't.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 AM   #14
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

My Tahoe has a tow/haul mode. It guzzles gas anyway, but the tow/haul mode keeps the revs up. It's supposed to get 13 mpg city to 19mpg highway.

What I like about the old technology Chevy's is that they're easy and cheap to fix. They're also not overly priced on the used market.

Ironically, both GM and Ford make much better V8's than V6's. It sounds as if Toyota is trying to make the most fuel efficient V8 by keeping revs low. My Grand Marquis was like that, and it got really annoying when going up hills. It would kick down to a lower gear, gain speed going up the hill, then once the speed got up it would kick back up again. Really annoying. But it has been extremely reliable.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #15
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdickey View Post
I tow a 21ft Triton boat and also a 20ft Starcraft popup trailer, and my Tundra will average 15 with the boat and 14 with the trailer. Tundra is the best 1/2 ton towing vehicle you can buy. It sponsors the BASS pro fishing tour, and almost all of the pros claim it has been their best towing vehicle that they have used.
He drove a Tundra before he got this Tacoma. It's a good truck, but he likes the Tacoma better for everyday driving. He's very undecided at the moment, but I'm passing along any info I get from you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
We all have different experiences. From the shapes the TM is almost entirely within my GC's slipstream (a camper shell on a pickup could do the same). I have a 290hp 6400 rpm V6 & on a Florida flatland at 65 with the TM get 17-18 mpg of 87 PON mostly on cruise control, about 4 mpg less than without @ 70. GC has a 5,000 lb tow rating and a Class III/IV receiver.

Newer ones with the 8 speed transmission get about 1.5 mpg more. "The best tow vehicle" is something of a holy war but have towed a lot more with a lot less.

Factory towing package with a 2" receiver is a plus.
Love the GC! And I think it's one of the SUVs that qualifies as a "truck" for Runzheimer. My husband likes them, too, but I think he's set on a truck. You're getting good mpg, though. hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
BTW, I've towed my TM (overloaded 2619) with both the 4.0 V6 (the predecessor of your 3.5L) AND the smaller of two Toyota V8 engines (which was 4.7L in that year.) The V6, shifted down by one gear my than the "automatic" selection, pulls the 2619 BETTER than the V8 ever did in Toyota-chosen "automatic" mode.
Based on my Toyota experience, the main issue with the Tacoma (while pulling your 2720) might be his choice of gears: If he lets the slush-box choose, it will prefer lower RPMs and sluggish response. Also, it will likely run "unlocked", with the transmission driving loose and using fluid coupling.
In towing smaller TMs with a Taco or 4R V6, it's best to always downshift by one gear on hills. By itself, it often choose 5th, (or 4th) when higher RPMs in the next gear down would be better for everything:
  1. The tranny would lock up and run efficiently , instead of wasting gas to cook the tranny fluid;
  2. the resulting gas mileage might be better than the lower gear.
  3. the responsiveness would be VASTLY improved.
Toyota V6 engines love to rev high, and they're indestructible. Don't try pulling the trailer with the engine lugging at 2800 RPM, pick a gear with 3500 (or even higher, on big hills). The Tundra V8s guzzle 30% more gas all the time. With the Taco, you're able to get great performance at Tundra-like gas consumption when you need it, and while burning significantly less gas when you don't.
This is very good info--thanks for sharing! By "downshift by one gear on hills" I'm assuming you mean pulling uphill? It seems to automatically downshift into a lower gear going downhill--even with out towing. Since I'm not the one towing, I can't see the rpms, but I'm definitely going to share this advice with him.

Great point on the gas mileage.

Do you recommend a wdh with the Tacoma? I feel like it would make towing better, but I worry about putting more weight on the trailer axle.

I wish Toyota 4 cyl engines were indestructible! We just had to put a new(used) engine in a 2009 Toyo Matrix (Corolla hatchback). Blown head gasket at 155K miles. :/ Not a good year for the 1.8 L. We replaced it with a 2010 engine. This isn't typical for Toyota--2009 was a bad year. just our luck.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 AM   #16
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
My Tahoe has a tow/haul mode. It guzzles gas anyway, but the tow/haul mode keeps the revs up. It's supposed to get 13 mpg city to 19mpg highway.

What I like about the old technology Chevy's is that they're easy and cheap to fix. They're also not overly priced on the used market.

Ironically, both GM and Ford make much better V8's than V6's. It sounds as if Toyota is trying to make the most fuel efficient V8 by keeping revs low. My Grand Marquis was like that, and it got really annoying when going up hills. It would kick down to a lower gear, gain speed going up the hill, then once the speed got up it would kick back up again. Really annoying. But it has been extremely reliable.
I think our Tundra had a "tow/haul" mode. The Taco doesn't.

I'm not sure I would say that Toyota has made any kind of "fuel efficient V8". I think Ford and Chevy's latest models are getting better mpg. Toyota is kinda lagging behind on that. But I understand about the auto transmission being annoying in that way. But by far the most annoying of transmissions would have to be the CVT I'm driving right now (prius). The constant rev/roar when I'm accelerating up a hill or merging onto the freeway...good grief. My next car will be a stick, I swear. If they aren't extinct by then. Love my Prius--grateful to have it--but I hate the CVT.

ETA: Listen to me complaining about my CVT. #firstworldproblems I'm really grateful I have good reliable transportation that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to own. And I'm planning on my daughters getting at least another 50K miles out of that Matrix.

ETA again: We are currently an all Toyota family. Hubby drives the Tacoma. Me--a Prius. Twins are sharing a 2013 Camry. The middle child is driving the Matrix that was handed down to her from the twins. (Hand me downs are the story of her life, lol.) The 11 yr old--we've got a little time to think about that, but at least the twins will be off my insurance by the time we have to buy her something!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #17
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
This is very good info--thanks for sharing! By "downshift by one gear on hills" I'm assuming you mean pulling uphill? It seems to automatically downshift into a lower gear going downhill--even with out towing. Since I'm not the one towing, I can't see the rpms, but I'm definitely going to share this advice with him.....

Do you recommend a wdh with the Tacoma? I feel like it would make towing better, but I worry about putting more weight on the trailer axle.

I wish Toyota 4 cyl engines were indestructible! We just had to put a new(used) engine in a 2009 Toyo Matrix (Corolla hatchback). Blown head gasket at 155K miles. :/ Not a good year for the 1.8 L. We replaced it with a 2010 engine. This isn't typical for Toyota--2009 was a bad year. just our luck.
My advice is to downshift one gear further than the Toyota automatic Transmissions typically choose, when towing on hills. On extreme hills at high altitude (e.g., CA 108, lots of distance at 15-24% grades), just go slower in a low gear.

BTW, Toyota V6 head gaskets (Taco and 4R) haven't been great either, but it improves their reliability to check whether certain screws seems a bit loose, and gently wrench them back to proper torque, every 30K miles or so.

A Taco V6 (TRD with towing package) has an empty weight distribution of about 2400 lbs front, 1900 lbs rear. I'll SWAG that you could add 300 lbs of weight on the hitch and still have decent handling. But any more - and the 2720 does present more than that - I'd use a WDH. With the 4R, I like to set up a bit tongue-heavy (around 400 lbs on the tongue), and then use the WDH to eliminate the resulting "front end lift". But I've got the 5K axle and class "E" tires - absolutely zero worries about putting big loads on the Trailer axle and Trailer tires. Your 2720 might have a issue in those areas.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #18
bheisser

I tow with a 2014 Tacoma ,, no issues, through west Virginia,, smokey mountains etc,,, however I did add airbags for sag,,,,,,additional read this about built in sway control http://www.serratoyota.com/blog/unde...y-control-tsc/
2017 Silverado 1500
Anderson 3324 WDH
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #19
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheisser View Post
I tow with a 2014 Tacoma ,, no issues, through west Virginia,, smokey mountains etc,,, however I did add airbags for sag,,,,,,additional read this about built in sway control http://www.serratoyota.com/blog/unde...y-control-tsc/
Funny...Serra is the dealership we are considering for leasing or buying the next truck.

Thanks for sharing the article. I knew we had built in sway control, but I've always wondered if it's enough. We need to look into getting airbags.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #20
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I'm a diehard GM guy but I've said for a few years now when the time comes for a new-to-me vehicle (which will be a pick-em-up truck) I'll have to give the Tundra a good look. Now the Dodge Ram Ecodiesel has entered that conversation too.

Of course since my wife got a case of camper envy this past weekend, she's been asking about fifth wheels. So who knows...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote