TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
Pableau

Default Towing with the new Volvo XC90 is too easy?

Just took my new (to me) TM 2720 on its maiden voyage. First time camper, first time towing anything, and wow!!

Place I bought the TM hadn't ever seen the setup that Volvo has come up with. You plug it in, and do nothing else. The vehicle has no manual (or other) controls for the breaking, it just works! Mechanic was amazed. I feel like I cheated to be honest, since I still don't know all the technical details of break controllers and it seems I won't, at least until something goes wrong.

I put the Volvo hitch package on, after much consideration of the couple of 3rd party options, but in the end decided I didn't want to deal with any potential software problems as the new XC90 is insanely complicated.

Plug in the power from the TM to the rig and the dash asks me if I want to do the trailer light testing (so I can do it without someone else to help) even! Pretty neat.

Attaching the vehicle to the hitch was also cool with a visual tow ball line showing where I'm going so I can back right up to it on the first try.

Hard to believe a 4 cyclinder engine can tow like this - smooth as can be.

I do have the air-suspension in the new TV, and the software uses that when unhitching it detects you have raised the trailer up and then lowers the suspension a bunch to save you from a half dozen more spins of the arm. Same goes when putting it on - raising it up once it realizes what you are doing. So far this has worked flawless, although I could see it making life challenging if it every went south.

I bought this vehicle after my last one was totaled on Christmas day of last year. That vehicle couldn't tow, and I was dreaming of a TM. Talk about lemons into lemonade!

Enormous thank you to this forum. Countless hours in here gave me the courage to make this leap (as someone that has never camped in anything but a tent, it really was scary)!!
Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
bheisser

nice sounds like a dream come true
2017 Silverado 1500
Anderson 3324 WDH
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Sounds like the folks at Volvo have towed a few trailers! Wonderful that they have a plug-n-tow system that seems to work great for you.

Enjoy!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

320hp/300 lb-ft of torque. Max torque from 2200 - 5400. Direct Injection and Boost. Shape of things to come.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Nikkira

That sounds awesome. I'm in the market for a new car and had been eyeing the XC90, but I'm not sure about the towing capacity. We have a 3023, so a slightly higher weight. Do you think it would be ok with the higher weight?
Nikkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

5000 towing capacity. While you would have some rated capacity remaining, I don't like to get close to the rating, as engines and trannies work harder. Just my opinion.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #7
Campground Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkira View Post
That sounds awesome. I'm in the market for a new car and had been eyeing the XC90, but I'm not sure about the towing capacity. We have a 3023, so a slightly higher weight. Do you think it would be ok with the higher weight?
We towed our 3023 to Yellowstone this past summer with our 08 XC90. I will admit 3.2L straight 6 could use some extra power on the hills but manual shifting and planning ahead had me beating most other guys up the steep mountain passes(having empty tanks is always a good decision). The self adjusting rear suspension on the xc90 also made short work of the trailmanor's heavy tongue weight. Not saying it was stress free but I have full confidence in our TV and would do it all over again. Now if we could just program a tow mode into the 6speed auto. Sadly we have eyes for the new XC90 but the pocket book....not so much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0141.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	5.06 MB
ID:	14505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160715_161043.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	14506  
Campground Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

It is a nice unit and since 2010 we have been seeing a constant improvement in tow vehicles particularly now as direct injection/boosted gas engines are so efficient. The top of the line, beyond even diesels, are now the hybrid gas/electrics particularly in three areas: performance, weight (600-1000 lbs heavier than pure gas), and MSRP.

Personally I always have to consider the total cost of ownership (why I have a '12 with a gas engine) but we have some amazing vehicles in the future.

Would like to see Ford buy Jeep: a Grand Cherokee with a 3.5 EcoBoost & eight speed ZF would be hard to resist.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campground Avenger View Post
The self adjusting rear suspension on the xc90 also made short work of the trailmanor's heavy tongue weight.
Avenger -

I hesitate to ask what this means - but I suspect you are running without a WDH? Next time you are packed up and ready to camp, it wouldn''t be a bad idea to shell out $10 at a CAT scale (catscale.com) and find out how you are doing against your GAWR-R (listed on the label on the driver's door frame).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"I hesitate to ask what this means -"

Think "automatic load leveler".