TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
rjackson

Default Specific Questions about 15" Tires & Rims for 2720

First, I apologize as I know these topics have been covered already, but I've read some much in this forum that my head is spinning!

New member here from SoCal who is planning on buying a pre-2010 TrailManor 2720SL soon. In fact, I am driving to Arizona in 2 days to look at one which I may purchase.

I've been reading up on the issue of the 14" Load Range C tires that come on this trailer, and am convinced that I need to upgrade it to 15" tires (and 2" lift) soon after I get it.

HERE'S WHAT I HAVE LEARNED:
  • The stock Load Range C (1822 lbs ea.) tires are inadequate, as loading the trailer with a few extra can get you woefully close to the limits of the tire. If pressures aren't perfect and / or temperatures real high it's possible, if not likely, that you will eventually experience a blow-out.
  • I can upgrade the 14" Load Range C tires to a Load Range D (2180 lbs ea.) which would put them more in a better safety margin, but the stock rims are only designed for the Load Range C and 50 psi! I've also got to upgrade the stock rims.
  • I definitely want to go to a Load Range D or even E tire, which would require a new rim, so it makes sense to get a 15" X 6" rim at that point. Of course, I'd have to buy and have the 2" lift installed. (I would prefer to not raise the trailer, but I think the consensus is that it must be done as there's not enough clearance in the wheel well. Correct?)
  • The rims are also rated at a certain weight and max psi.
  • Best to get steel belted radials with nylon overlay / cap, etc.
  • Critical to balance the rims after the tires are mounted.
  • Use a steel instead of rubber valve stem.
  • A highly recommended tire on this forum is the Maxxis 205X75R15, but I'm unclear on the associated rim.

I contacted etrailer.com to ask about the Maxxis M8008, which they don't have. They recommended Taskmaster or one other brand (Contender?). I asked if these tires had a nylon overlay or cap and the guys said he had never heard of it before! I looked at their site and it mentioned "Nylon tread-firming belt overlays help prevent tread separation." He said "Hmmm. Interesting". Not a great first impression of etrailer.com.

QUESTIONS:
  • Looking at the Maxxis website, I see that the Maxxis M8008 has a 205X75R15 (Load Range D?) 8-ply tire rated at 65 psi / 2150 lbs, which is obviously adequate. However, they also have a 225X75R15 8-ply tire rated at 65 psi / 2540 lbs. (Load Range E?) Is the 225 OK to use? Better? The website doesn't mention load range categories.
  • When I was asking about wheels on etrailer.com, the guy was asking about the bolt pattern. I know it's a 5-bolt pattern, but is it 5 on 4.5", 5 on 4.75", 5 on 5", or 5 on 5.5"? (Sorry - I'd measure if I already had a trailer!)
  • Any recommendations for other online sources for the Maxxis tires? There is a Discount Tire store in a nearby town, but their website doesn't show Maxxis. I usually deal with Pep Boys for my cars, but they don't have access to Maxxis tires.

Again, sorry for the repetitive nature of my questions. I'm real excited about the prospects of getting a TrailManor. We currently have small Chalet a-frame, which is really fun, but I think the TM will suit us better.

I've been lurking here for some time and am very impressed with this site, the collective knowledge, and willingness to share. Hopefully, I'll someday be in a position to contribute.

TIA!
Rick
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

As you said there has been a lot of discussion.

See my .sig: I have ST205x75R15 LRD on my 2720SL. I am considering a 1" lift on the street side as I can see some moderate rubbing at the top of the plastic wheel well (about 1" clearance static) but I have a replacement wheel well insert and for the moment am just watching.

Wheels are 15x6" JJ Carlyle Tire and Wheel 5 on 4.5" bolt circle part # 1521138564 with 0 offset and a 3.3" hub hole rated for 2150 lbs. This matches the tires.

Nothing wrong with the 225 except you will need the lift kit.

Tires are Power King Towmax STR MAX 48 rated at 2150 lbs at 65 psi with a 25.6" diameter (215x75x14s were 25.2") so has 1/4" less clearance.

Nothing wrong with the MAXXIS but the tire dealer I am going to recommended these and have a nylon overlay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plies.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	13853  
Old 08-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
firemancjr

I think a lot of what needs to be done depends on your specific trailer.

I recently converted to 225/75r15 on my 2720 trailer, and I don't see a need to add the lift as i have about 3.5 inches between the tires and the wheel well.i have not traveled with it loaded heavy, but i don't think there should be problems.

Again, there is nothing wrong with maxxis, but there are many tires available that have equivalent credentials. My tires are load range E with a 10 ply rating, they have the nylon overlay, and rated to carry nearly 2600lbs. I don't mind that the don't have that specific brand burned into the side.

I bought these rims here from a seller on amazon. Rated to 2600 lbs. They work great. Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 114.5

Just my experience, hope it helps.
firemancjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
rjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
As you said there has been a lot of discussion.

See my .sig: I have ST205x75R15 LRD on my 2720SL. I am considering a 1" lift on the street side as I can see some moderate rubbing at the top of the plastic wheel well (about 1" clearance static) but I have a replacement wheel well insert and for the moment am just watching.

Wheels are 15x6" JJ Carlyle Tire and Wheel 5 on 4.5" bolt circle part # 1521138564 with 0 offset and a 3.3" hub hole rated for 2150 lbs. This matches the tires.

Nothing wrong with the 225 except you will need the lift kit.

Tires are Power King Towmax STR MAX 48 rated at 2150 lbs at 65 psi with a 25.6" diameter (215x75x14s were 25.2") so has 1/4" less clearance.

Nothing wrong with the MAXXIS but the tire dealer I am going to recommended these and have a nylon overlay.
Thanks, Padgett. I've read many of your posts and appreciate your expertise. I know that you were not in favor of lifting your trailer over concerns of raising the center of gravity etc., and was wondering if you still had it at stock height.

I had pretty much ruled out going to a 225 tire over concerns of rubbing the fender well (I know there are fixes for that), and it doesn't seem necessary. I wasn't actually aware that the 225 width would also be a bit taller.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
rjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemancjr View Post
I think a lot of what needs to be done depends on your specific trailer.

I recently converted to 225/75r15 on my 2720 trailer, and I don't see a need to add the lift as i have about 3.5 inches between the tires and the wheel well.i have not traveled with it loaded heavy, but i don't think there should be problems.

Again, there is nothing wrong with maxxis, but there are many tires available that have equivalent credentials. My tires are load range E with a 10 ply rating, they have the nylon overlay, and rated to carry nearly 2600lbs. I don't mind that the don't have that specific brand burned into the side.

I bought these rims here from a seller on amazon. Rated to 2600 lbs. They work great. Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 114.5

Just my experience, hope it helps.
Thanks, fireman. I drive to Tucson tomorrow to check out the trailer (2007 2720SL) and hope to bring her back if all looks good. I am admittedly nervous about the Load Range C tires on the trailer as they are 2.5 - 3 years old and have 12,000 miles on them. Add to that the fact that crossing he desert in 110 degree temperatures will really be pushing the limits!

My friend that bought the same model and year 2720 last year upgraded his to 15" Load Range tires and 2" lift. The seller had just installed brand new 14" Load Range C tires, so he's giving me those to take with me to AZ tomorrow. If I buy the trailer, I'll install those and also lube the wheel bearings.

Assuming I come back with the trailer I'll measure the distance from between the tire and the wheel well. What year TM do you have? I understand that they made some changes to the axle that raised the trailer a bit, but not sure what year.

Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
rjackson

Default Additional Question

I guess there's still one thing I'm wondering about.

Padgett, you're running Load Range D tires and a wheel rated at 2150 lbs which is clearly enough as that exceeds the axle limit of 3500 lbs. However, fireman you're running Load Range E tires with a limit of 2600 lbs, 2 extra belts, and a rim rated at 2600 lbs.

Is there an benefit to running the E rated tires & rims vs. the D rated ones? I believe the E rated tires run at 80 psi, so do you run them at 65 psi for a smoother ride?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
CAG1976

I ordered my Maxis 15" 10 ply tires on Amazon. That was the best price I could find on them. That was in May of this year.

Pulled off my tires one by one and took them to a local shop to have them put the new tires on the rim and balance them. I mounted them myself.

The guys at the tire place noted how heavy and stiff these tires were vs. other 10 ply tires that had seen on trailers. They said they could tell they were well made...for what it matters.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

A LRE tire will be of heavier construction (10 ply rating vs 8, key word is "rating") than a LRD. That said if you run a LRE tire at 65 psi (what I would do) the load rating is the same as a LRD tire.

How you need to think is that the tire volume is a function of the size (205) and the profile (75) - wheel diameter is a minor factor). Now the load rating is a function of the tire volume and the psi. It is all from tables.

Now the Load Range (C, D, E) relates to the maximum rated pressure of the tire: 55, 65, and 80 psi and that is a function of the tire construction.

Special Trailer tires (ST prefix) have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph (unless otherwise noted).

A nylon cap or overlay relates to none of the above but is a Very Good Thing to have. It makes the tread less likely to separate from the tire

From what I have seen you do not want to pull a TM with over 65 psi.

After two years I am seeing slight rubbing on the street side but not on the curb. The real answer is a new axle that has more clocking. That raises everything. The cheap answer is a lift kit. I have a 2" but think I'll try a 1" on the street side only.

ps pretty sure the factory changed the axle clocking in later models to accommodate 15" tires. That may be why one poster has no problem.

Things I have but am not using (yet). So far have seen no need:
Set of AirLifts
A Weight Distributing Hitch Kit
2" factory lift kit

This may be because I have what I consider to be an ideal tow vehicle for my TrailManor. YMMV

ps wheels are 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 114.3mm (Ford). A 5x115 (GM FWD) may fit but not balance properly.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would put a 2" lift if you do not have the tire clearance for 225x15. Its a simple lift kit to install.

I installed the lift kit, but my 14's were new. I am waiting to change to 15's. I will go with the GY Marathon load range D, but air them at 50 psi.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
firemancjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
Thanks, fireman.

Assuming I come back with the trailer I'll measure the distance from between the tire and the wheel well. What year TM do you have? I understand that they made some changes to the axle that raised the trailer a bit, but not sure what year.

Thanks again!

I have a 2009 2720

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson View Post
I guess there's still one thing I'm wondering about.

Padgett, you're running Load Range D tires and a wheel rated at 2150 lbs which is clearly enough as that exceeds the axle limit of 3500 lbs. However, fireman you're running Load Range E tires with a limit of 2600 lbs, 2 extra belts, and a rim rated at 2600 lbs.

Is there an benefit to running the E rated tires & rims vs. the D rated ones? I believe the E rated tires run at 80 psi, so do you run them at 65 psi for a smoother ride?

Thanks in advance.

Yes I have them at 65 psi running down the road the heat will cause a slight increase in pressure. the load range E/ 10 ply rated are still just 5 layers just like Padgett's picture in the second post. I know intellectually that running a LRE tire at the lower pressures doesn't really give me anything extra, but it feels better to have the extra if i needed it. Besides, they were the same price as the LRD tires.
firemancjr is offline   Reply With Quote