TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
logcabin

Default Countertop extension

Hello! Has anyone added a countertop extension by the door attached to the stove?
There is one I could purchase - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDQQJM/...=II77P8USXCIPR
OR I could just buy the brackets and a piece of wood and make it myself. - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006LA2GA/...I2516E2XN3N2S2
It seems the wall by the door is too thin to support this extension. Would the brackets need to be reinforced on the inside of the wall?
Thank you for any advice you could give me.
Linda & Deny

2004 2720SL
2012 Toyota Tundra
logcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just a couple thoughts.

The cabinet that holds the stove is made with pretty wimpy - errr, light weight - construction. I wouldn't trust it to hold a counter top unless you brace the inside of the cabinet wall with a piece of real wood, glued and screwed. Not a big deal, except that you have to pull the oven out to get at it. In my TM, this wall was trying to pull away from the rest of the cabinet, all by itself, and I have had to re-attach it.

Maybe I'm not getting the right mental picture, but are you considering a counter top extension that extends across the doorway when flipped up? Not a good idea, in my opinion. As soon as you flip it up and set something on it, you'll find a reason why you have to go in or out of the trailer.

Someone on the forum made an extension on the other side of the kitchen, attached to the wall of the cabinet that holds the refrig. Again, glue and screw an interior brace. Would that help in your situation?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

On my 2720SL, any extension at the stove would block the door. Are you talking something that folds ?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I found this thing, I'm going to try this summer. Don't know if it'll fit correctly, as I haven't opened my TM yet from winter, but it looks like it should be adjustable to fit the space. Assuming it works, it'll save me the hassle of having to engineer in a permanent extension, while giving the benefits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	13321   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf 2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	13322   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	13323  
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
logcabin

Dear Bill, Yes I was thinking of the area to the left of the stove, in front of the door, but yes we would be trapped inside the TM. We have a stand alone microwave on the right of the stove so I have no countertop space. But I agree that the wall by the stove is too 'wimpy' and would need reinforcing. I don't think that we want to tackle taking the oven out to accomplish that. We don't have enough room next to the refrigerator to add a countertop extension there.
Dear Pagett - Yes that countertop folds down.
Dear The Pair - that is interesting, but too large for what I want. Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks for all your comments.
Linda

2004 2720SL
2012 Toyota Tundra
Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Linda -

The first thing that comes to mind when reading your thread is that you are creating a serious fire hazard by blocking your easiest exit. Furthermore, the risk is perhaps even more amplified by the fact that you will likely be cooking much of the time the extension is up, and thus you will probably be using the stove/oven more during that time. And you'll probably actually be using the extension too during that time, and so will have stuff on top of it, including liquids, messy stuff, hot stuff, that may be challenging to quickly remove if you needed to get out.

I just see it being a seriously bad idea for this reason alone. Even if it took you an extra 5-10 seconds to get out, which I would consider the absolute best case scenario, you're in close quarters and that very well may not be enough time for an escape.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabin View Post
We have a stand alone microwave on the right of the stove so I have no countertop space.
Linda
Many people put the microwave in the pit between the end of the counter and the wardrobe. There is even an outlet for it on the wall of the pit. An even better answer is to buy or build a so-called "microwave box". It fits exactly into the pit, filling it, and the top is level with the countertop. You can set your microwave on top of this box. And the box has a drawer just like the one under the countertop - an additional drawer is always a handy thing.

The pit: http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/project/kitchen/

For us, with our stand-alone microwave, the box is a great solution. By the way, the box was invented by a member of the forum, and copied by TM. Who says they didn't watch us?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

My '06 has the pit drawer. I also have one of these that does against the fridge and facing the sofa. I put a 32" TV/monitor on it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Check this: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10282

Starting at #5. This is the solution we did, gets the microwave off the counter. Adding in the "microwave shelf/drawer" along with my additional raised shelf = all that counterspace to the right of the stove, without having to block the door!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
logcabin

Default Kitchen countertops and storage

Again, thanks for all the good ideas.
Bill - I am familiar with the 'microwave box' and would let me move my free standing microwave away from the stove. But I am using that area for storage drawers now. (see attached photo)
Padgett - that is a nice free standing storage unit, but I do not have room for it in the 'living room'
The Pair - I am too short to be able to use the microwave at that height. Like Bill, I would be afraid to put that much weight on the wall of the wardrobe.

I will be opening up our trailer in May and I will measure, reassess and try to come up with a new arrangement.

We live in our TM for 8 weeks during the winter in Florida, so we need more storage than when just camping for a weekend or week.

Linda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen storage 1 13-9 - small file.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	13330  

2004 2720SL
2012 Toyota Tundra