TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #21
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Wireless rear view for TM

Looks like the VR-3 is out due to limited range. Doing some research I believe that it will take about $350 to $1000 for a rear view camera & monitor system.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
schmazel

Thumbs up Backup camera

I installed the rear view camera in my TM. Bought it from Pep Boys. It is wired to my backup lights. My only complaint is that when I activate it, it takes about 20 seconds to show up on the monitor, since it is wireless from the camera to the monitor. Otherwise, it is great for hooking up. No more screaming from the DW.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #23
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmazel View Post
I installed the rear view camera in my TM. Bought it from Pep Boys. It is wired to my backup lights. My only complaint is that when I activate it, it takes about 20 seconds to show up on the monitor, since it is wireless from the camera to the monitor. Otherwise, it is great for hooking up. No more screaming from the DW.
In that case, I would follow Jim Erdman's advice and power it from the tail lights rather than the backup lights.

Glad to know it works.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #24
Freedom

I installed the rear view camera in my TM. Bought it from Pep Boys. It is wired to my backup lights.

Bill, I think he meant TV not TM. The rest of his statement refers to hooking up the TM to the TV - i.e. "No more screaming from the DW".
Old 03-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #25
Buck Mills

Default Kenwood 7100

This one is getting a little expensive, but it includes a GPS Navigations system, AM/FM/CD/DVD player. and it can control iPod with adapter. It also has two optical inputs, was thinking about adding two cameras, auto switch on reverse for rear view.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
P and B

I think I posted something on this subject a while back. The wireless systems don't have the range to put on the back of the TM. They are only useable to hook up since the TV is short. There was a buy that was importing a higher end system from China but I never bought one.

Best thing to do is find an inexpensive wired systems. BTW- some in dash stereos now have external video inputs. Many combine GPS with external MP3 inputs etc. So, if you were due for a new stereo, you'd get the monitor for you backup camera with the stereo. Panasonic makes one that is 3Din and a couple of others I think make 1.5 DIN versions where the screen flips up. You'd have to run a wire and buy a camera. Camera choices are probably critical and I don't know much about them.

Just wanted to reiterate what Mike said since I actually installed one of these Wallmart $100.00 specials. Took it back.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #27
Larry_Loo

Thumbs up 2manytoyz's inexpensive, two-camera system

In an earlier post on a thread about the Yamaha EF2400is generator I referenced the website of "2manytoyz." At the same site you can read about another one of his projects entitled "Back-up camera for vehicle and trailer":
http://www.2manytoyz.com/backupcam.html

He states that he invested about $150 in his entire two-camera, wired system and that installing it required about 4 hours of his labor. The camera images at the rear of tow vehicle and trailer look pretty good. I spent over 4 times as much in equipment and labor for my one-camera system, but then, my wife repeatedly accuses me of being too much of a perfectionist. It may be worthwhile for those of you considering a two-camera system to read through his article and maybe e-mail him for details (access his url via the button with the spinning disk at the bottom of the article).

Hey, others beside TM owners sometimes come up with good ideas!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
globug

Ok all you techheads. I was wondering if it would EVEN be feasible to get a wireless outdoor camera to use as a backup camera and use my iPad with 3G to use as the monitor. There is an app called iCam. Just not quite sure how all this would pan out. Any comments?

2002 2720SL, 2002 Lincoln Navigator, Prodigy P3, Eazy Lift WDH
globug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #29
rumbleweed

Yes, but it is a little more complicated than it appears. You need to have a router in the loop as well as the camera and the iPad cannot communicate with each other. The router does not have to have an internet connection, Routers are not that expensive anymore, but you would be better off cost wise to just get a wireless backup camera set ( camera and screen) . If you choose to go this route, check the iPad app for compatible cameras as they all won't work.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
OffToDaRaces

Default Rear vision cameras

I am a new guy to this family. I just purchased a Trailmanor 2720 and am looking forward to many years of frequent use.

My previous camper was an Aliner Expedition with A/C. This particular model has a wall mounted a/c unit on the left side of the camper, directly affecting rear vision while towing. The Expedition is also quite tall, blocking rear vision out of my TV.

My solution to the problem was to install a quality color, rear vision camera on the camper. My TV is equipped with a factory navigation system. Through the use of a few relays and an adapter made for my vehicle, I was able to mount the camera and use it as I wished. I have two relays on my center comsole that alllows me to switch from the TV's rear vision camera and the camper rear vision and back, I can view the areas that are monitored by glancing at the Nav screen. This is especially helpful when backing into a camp site, and when backing into my garage.

To assist in connecting the TV to the camper, I painted a white dot on top of the hitchball. I painted a white line on the top of the tongue hitch. This makes it really easy for hook-ups, and to keep check on connections and whatever may be behind me on the highway, and the condition of any items carried on the back of the camper.

Through the use of another switch I can look behind the camper while driving down the road. Combined with properly set mirrors, I have effectively eliminated blind spots.

I pruchased the camera , switches and adapter from local car stereo dealer. I hope this info helps someone who may be considering rear vision issues.