TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Minivan or not?

B_and_D -

Rather than a minivan, how about a real van? They don't all look like a plumber's work truck - some of them are really nice. Take a look at http://roadtrek.com/ for some ideas. Roadtreks are camping vehicles in themselves, but you might be able to option out of some of the things you wouldn't need. Or, if you see something yuou like, you could just go to a Chevy dealer and take a look at an unmodified van. But the real point is, these mid-size vans, like the Chevy 2500 series, seem well set up for towing, as shown on the Specifications page. Standard tow ratings of 6000-7000 pounds is real nice.

Or maybe a full-size station wagon. There are still a few of them being made out there.

Depends on your budget, of course, and the number of people who go camping with you.

BTW, it may be urban legend, but I have heard it said that in some cars with a temperature "gauge", the sender is the same unit that is used with an idiot light. Thus it has two positions - ON and OFF, or OVERHEATED and NOT OVERHEATED. As I say, it may be just urban legend ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #12
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

On the way to work I was also thinking about a regular van...that might work, as long as it's not too big and doesn't get crummy gas mileage. Haven't really looked into those.

The temp gauge dial in the Chevy starts out cool and gradually rises until it reaches what it stays at, so it seems that it does work. My cousin also has a Chevy and he says his temp doesn't vary either once it gets to the regular operating temp.

About a full-sized wagon, do you know of any that can tow? Seems that most of the passenger cars/wagons they make these days don't have the transmission set up for towing?

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:51 PM   #13
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

On temp guages; reports on http://www.odyclub.com indicate that the guages on many newer cars are programmed to rise from "0" to a set point and stay there unless an overheating situation is imminent. Speculation is that mfgs do this to prevent unnecessary owner concern. The gauge on our 02 Odyssey reads the same whether we are towing at 90f in the mountains or running solo at -20f. That is not the case with our trans temp guage however.
Frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:23 PM   #14
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

That is very interesting...couldn't log on the site, however.

I think I'll ask the dealer about that next time I'm in to get the Chevy serviced.

After thinking about it for a while, I kind of thought it was weird that the temp guage did not vary. I have a "Too Much Information Center" on my '90 Seville (4.5L, put your foot on the gas and you think you're headed to the moon) and if you put the button onto "engine data" and select "temperature" it's always changing, depending on whether or not it's cold outside, you're idling, at freeway speeds, etc.

What a stupid thing to put on a car/truck, a temperature gauge that doesn't work. It's kind of like modified "idiot light", it's an "idiot dial"? Makes me feel like an idiot!

Has anyone else heard about this?

Old 03-31-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I checked back on Odyclub and one of the members there had read about the idiot-gauges in a car magazine. I suppose they do tell us when we can turn the heater on and get warm air.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #16
jniles

The manufacturers are getting smarter. It costs them a lot because we pester them (and dealers will charge them to change one) over a guage running on the high side of the scale when there is really nothing wrong.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Actually got a person's name and phone number at Chevy.com via an email reply today...said for me to call them.

If I remember tomorrow, I'll call them and let you know what they say.