TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Funnypuns and others, did your trailer come with a detachable wheel for the jack stem? Mine did, and I've used it to move my trailer a bit. Since you say you have no grade, and volunteer "pushers", it might work for you.

My concrete driveway has a slight slant, and I cannot push the trailer up the slope by myself. But once the truck moves the trailer enough that the trailer wheels are in the garage (level floor), I can maneuver the trailer pretty well by myself, pushing the tongue back and forth (steering) and even pushing the jackstand wheel up the slope.

The jackstand wheel is not usable on gravel or sand, and will not jump even a small rock. But it will hop the small gap between the top of the driveway and the concrete garage floor.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Funnypuns and others, did your trailer come with a detachable wheel for the jack stem? Mine did, and I've used it to move my trailer a bit. Since you say you have no grade, and volunteer "pushers", it might work for you.

My concrete driveway has a slight slant, and I cannot push the trailer up the slope by myself. But once the truck moves the trailer enough that the trailer wheels are in the garage (level floor), I can maneuver the trailer pretty well by myself, pushing the tongue back and forth (steering) and even pushing the jackstand wheel up the slope.

The jackstand wheel is not usable on gravel or sand, and will not jump even a small rock. But it will hop the small gap between the top of the driveway and the concrete garage floor.

Bill
Yes, have a wheel. It took a bunch of pushers to maneuver it safely into my garage around the double bend and into narrow clearances, but with time and patience it can be done. That said, I want a solution to move it in and out of my garage without so many hands, because I expect to do it a lot next year. ( once or twice a month, nine months out of the year). Not really thinking about using it anywhere else.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
ArkyDoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_funnypuns View Post
Looked at this, and it's not much more than the TV XL, and I must admit supremely cool in a geeky tech toy kind of way. Like the ultimate RC toy car! But 40 kg ( 81 lb) is a lot of weight. I might feel differently in ten years, but I'll stick with my initial experiment.

BTW finally did get the trailer in. And decided I'm right about needing a bit of mechanical advantage.
Unless I misread your post, the Purpleline is nothing like the XL....It probably is 80 lbs but it's permanently mounted to the TM frame so unlike the TV that I have to lug around every time I use it (and how heavy is it?), this one is ready (literally) with the push of a button.....BTW, their website has it listed at over a grand now but I'll bet you could find one cheaper than that.....

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #14
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
Unless I misread your post, the Purpleline is nothing like the XL....It probably is 80 lbs but it's permanently mounted to the TM frame so unlike the TV that I have to lug around every time I use it (and how heavy is it?), this one is ready (literally) with the push of a button.....BTW, their website has it listed at over a grand now but I'll bet you could find one cheaper than that.....
You did misread my post.

By "not much more" I was referring to cost, and specifically Cost from my perspective alone, rather than features.

I've ordered the XL because it seems to fit what I need to solve this specific problem:

Awkward driveway turns makes it impossible to back into garage
Trailer will not always gave batter power when stored
Extra hands aren't always availible
Close clearances at sides of trailer ( 3")
Don't want to haul extra weight
Nearly flat driveway
Relatively short distance to move trailer (30')
No clearance on hitch for Bolt on solution (WDH / swing)

All of that said, there's only a few solutions that make sense.

Travel Valet XL ( seems to fit)
Power castor ( et all) w self contained power ( good, more expensive)
Winch solutions powered by 120VAC (can I control these)
Two-wheel pivot dollies ( too lightweight)
Front hitch on TV ( maybe? Tight clearances!)

I chose the Travel Valet because it's the lowest cost solution that meets all my needs. When I get it, I'll tell you all about it. If I made a bad choice, I'll tell you that too. I thought sice it was new, I'd get it and test it, and share the experience.

Didn't mean to put down anyone else's solution to their own problems, and didn't mean to hold my solution as a one size fits all.

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
Ted:
I love the solution but the initial cost is just the 1st hurdle: the cost to install it becomes a bigger question for me. I have a mechanic but I'm not sure any of his guys are capable of installing the device. I may call the RV place I just had my TM serviced at to see if they can give me a ballpark estimate, but I'm guessing it's easily going to be in the $300-$500 range.

To your point on finding it cheaper elsewhere, I have only found a couple of ebay folks who wanted about $800 for a used one, and who knows in terms of condition, etc ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #16
br2_wdc

Quote:
You did misread my post.

By "not much more" I was referring to cost, and specifically Cost from my perspective alone, rather than features.

I chose the Travel Valet because it's the lowest cost solution that meets all my needs. When I get it, I'll tell you all about it. If I made a bad choice, I'll tell you that too. I thought sice it was new, I'd get it and test it, and share the experience.

Didn't mean to put down anyone else's solution to their own problems, and didn't mean to hold my solution as a one size fits all.
Tim/Michele:
I am very interested in how this solution will work for you because I have a very steep driveway with very little clearance (3-6 inches all the way around) to fit my 3023 inside my garage this winter.

So while I love the Purple Line solution, the cost is quite a factor that I'm trying to avoid it if there is a better solution. Please keep us posted.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

br2_wdc,

I have the Purpleline Enduro 4445 and would recommend it, except for your statement on having a very steep driveway. The limit for these units is about 5-6 degrees of slope.
For folks who have a flatter driveway it would work very well, but as you also mentioned the price is a huge factor.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #18
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

A bit more info. The XL is about 42 lbs, not much different than a bag of salt. They've also had a delivery delay. Now expecting delivery after thanksgiving 2015. So, that's what I know for now.

2720SL The "Inator"

2005 Ford Expedition

TRailer Valet XL
Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #19
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
I have the Purpleline Enduro 4445 and would recommend it, except for your statement on having a very steep driveway. The limit for these units is about 5-6 degrees of slope.
For folks who have a flatter driveway it would work very well, but as you also mentioned the price is a huge factor.
It has taken some doing, but I have finally been able to clear out one side of our 2 car garage about two weeks ago, so I am ready to attempt to get it into the space.

My hope for any solution is to back up the TM to a point where the back of the trailer is even with my (single left side) garage door. So to your point on the slope of my driveway, it will hopefully not be as big of an issue and I can use whatever solution I find to maneuver it back into the garage from there.

I have done extensive (read: way too much) research on this site on possibly using an electric winch mounted to the floor, or a Power Caster or the Purple Line solution, so I'm curious to hear how this Trailer Valet XL might work.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
stormpeakco

Quote:
thought about the front hitch, but the double turns are tight, and very awkward. I can back the trailer in until it's close to the garage entrance, but it's at the wrong angle. Since there's no grade, the tool should be just right to pivot the trailer 180 degrees and ease it in.

The XL also features a drill adaptor now. No more cranking! At least in theory. Will keep everyone posted.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I believe their new $45 attachment (quad sided socket attached w/ driver) works with either the XL or the regular T.V. (have sent an e-mail query but no answer after 4 days).

...chuckle over their website photos (one model using a Trailer Valet while wearing platform sandals. Nice sandals but wearing solid shoes for this task is recommended-IMO).
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote