TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Default Andersen No-Sway WDH

I've been looking into WDH setups for my Envoy XUV & TM 3326. The Envoy's rear really squats down when the TM is hitched to it (currently no WDH, but I've always planned to add one). I really like the simplicity of the Andersen setup. I see lots of reviews singing its praises for away control, but I see very little in regards to actual weight distribution... Anyone here running an Andersen setup that can comment on its weight distribution capabilities? I've searched for "Andersen" and found several posts that people like the hitch but again no real before/after comparisons for weight distribution.

This site is incredible, lots of info, great members. I hope to make the transition from student (I am entirely new to TMs & campers in general) to teacher to master some day and help people on this forum as much as others have helped me! Thanks again!

-Shane
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

^ Quick add-on note... I understand leveling the tow vehicle is not the same as weight distribution. But I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of weight off the front axle based on how much the rear squats without a WDH. I'd like to level things out as a side effect of redistributing the weight across all axles. Thanks again!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of weight off the front axle based on how much the rear squats without a WDH. I'd like to level things out as a side effect of redistributing the weight across all axles. Thanks again!
Shane -

You have a good understanding of the function of a weight-distributing hitch. Levelling should be done with no air bags, no helper springs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I'm from the old school and believe that a WDH is a must to solve front end rise and is needed if you have rise of 1" or greater when the trailer is applied. WDH can be used to solve weak rear springs, but so can: springs, air shocks, and air bags.

My first TT the hitch shop recommended that I do the WDH, and an additional leaf to the rear springs. They did not do springs, so they were not trying to sell me spring work.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Shane -

You have a good understanding of the function of a weight-distributing hitch. Levelling should be done with no air bags, no helper springs.

Bill
+1, you're right on with your thinking, Shane. I have also been researching WDH with sway control recently and have questions regarding the effectiveness of the Andersen system for weight distribution. If I was going to buy a new system today I would buy a Blue Ox. Has good sway control and weight distribution qualities.

IMHO, most TM's don't need sway control, the basic design of Trailmanor negates sway; however there is at least one model that doesn't. The 2922 KB model is more tail heavy than most models. Your 3326 may also be questionable.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
davlin
TrailManor Master

I can't find any credible bad reviews of the Andersen system. I too wonder how effective the weight distribution component is, but we have forum members using it, maybe they will chime in.

I'm a little puzzled by the "no sway" portion of this system. I understand that the ball and coupler move together, and the ball is mounted through a friction shaft. What I don't understand is if a sway occurs, what prevents the coupler from simply rotating over the top of the ball, like it does on a "regular" hitch setup?

Dave

P.S. We towed a 3326 for several years, and found it to be a remarkably stable trailer.
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I have the Blue Ox. Although the Trailmanor might not need sway control, the main function of the WDH is to torque the front of the TV downward so that the center of pressure from the tongue weight moves forward to the approximate center of the TV between the axles, rather than at the hitch ball. Sort of like a virtual 5th wheel with the weight in the middle of the truck bed. This will give you better control and traction in any TV, and especially if you have front wheel drive or four wheel drive (or what marketers call "all wheel drive").

My 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee has rear wheel leveling and built-in brake modulation to respond to trailer sway. But there is still value in weight distribution.

Looking at the Andersen, I am having trouble believing that the pull of those chains on the few inches of leverage from the ball to where the chains attach will translate to sufficient torque. I can't believe that those chains are going to be under enough tension to do that. I'm not sure I'd want to get near them if they were.

The Blue Ox (and no doubt every other WDH) can be a bit of a pain. There are buttons that hold the torsion bars in which are not captive and are just held in with a little leaf spring that fits in a notch. I have pulled them off accidentally and have to pry at the spring with a screwdriver to re-insert them, and it would be easy for someone to steal them, resulting in a potential disaster when the bar falls out at speed. It's a poor design, and I wonder what they were thinking. Some people put pipe clamps over the buttons to keep them secure.

The Blue Ox is really heavy! Putting the WDH in the hitch register is a heavy lift.
The torsion bars reduce your ground clearance. This is one thing the Andersen handles well - those chains don't hang down.
Properly torquing the bars is a bit of a pain. I got a longer breaker bar and socket to make the process easier.
But the Blue Ox is really well constructed, other than those buttons. It doesn't look like it would ever break.
And it's probably the fastest to unhook from your TV.
And the Blue Ox is no problem to back up with. I think it's only the friction sway prevention devices that are.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I talked to a local hitch shop owner this morning. He sells and installs all of the major brands; however he showed me his personal truck and trailer which was parked in the back lot and he uses the Reese Straight Line dual cam WDH. He indicated that it has the best performance for sway control, but opinions are like armpits, everybody has one ... err well maybe two .

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
FujiPedaler

Default Wdh

So, I to have a 3326 King 2007 and we use an "EAZ-Lift 5" WDH with very satisfactory performance.

I can not add much to the conversation about the selection process because the hitch came with the trailer when I bought it from the second owner but with over 20,00 miles on the back of my Toyota 4Runner it has been great. I didn't have any install problems because the owner was using a V8 4Runner as well. The Eaz-Lift 5 uses chains but I found from the Forum that the easy way to install them is to use the jack to lift the trailer way up, lift the chains up, and retract the jack (I added an electric jack and boy it is worth it.)

I hope this helps a little.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

^ Different type of WDH, entirely different use of chains... But thanks anyway!

I think I'm gonna give this Andersen setup a try.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!