TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
TexasCamper

Default Towing with CVT Transmission

Does anyone have experience with towing with a tow vehicle that has a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)? I know fundamentally how CVT works, just don't know how consistent (while driving) and durable (long-term) it will be vs. more standard transmissions. I understand a number of vehicles are going to CVT to get under EPA fuel efficiency specs.

My wife wants us to get a Nissan Pathfinder (3.5L V6, 260hp@6400rpm, 240 lb-ft torque@4400rpm). I've seen some older posts that expressed concern with its newer models (2013 to current) that now have CVT, reducing its towing capacity from 6000 lbs to 5000 lbs. Older posts worry that the CVT might be too "dainty" for towing.

So I was wondering if there are any newer experiences or opinions from the forum's vehicle experts (more in the "know" than me!). My main intent is to learn how towing with CVT holds up, but I'll take your thoughts on the proposed TV as well. (I know it's not much of a step-up from my current minivan with 3600 lb tow capacity.)

Thanks!
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Not to hijack the thread - I'm anxious to see the answers as well - but let me urge you. No matter what tow vehicle you choose, spend the extra bucks to get the factory-installed towing package. It contains items that cannot be added as aftermarket upgrades. These items will increase the reliability and life of your vehicle, and enhance your towing experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

+1. Factory packages can include a much stronger receiver (mine is class IV with a 2" receiver), Full wiring with a bargman connector (7 pin), Load Levellers, Larger Alternator, heavy duty radiator, larger rear axle with lower ratio, oil cooler, transmission cooler, full sized spare tire, and/or a recalibrated computer with different shift points.

Now not every package will include all of these and will depend on the manufacturer but is always a Good Thing. When I bought my Jeep, I didn't care about 20" wheels or extra chrome but did require the factory towing package.

Should note that towing packages seem to have taken one big jump around '07-'10, and are poised for another.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
TexasCamper

Default Definately go with the tow package

Yes I agree; factory tow package is a must in my book.

P.S. still haven't gotten to test drive the vehicle & talk with the dealer, but per a pathfinder owner forum I learned that there is a "tow mode" button which changes the CVT control logic giving the vehicle more power and reduces frequency of shifting (but also less MPG).
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Not sure why missing since thought I had written before but a CVT is more like a big friction drive rather than a gear drive & never have had a lot of load capacity. There have been a lot of improvements since introduced on a DAF and are often used as an auxilliary drive for aircraft but shock load capacity is not very good.

Would be probably better off asking on a Nissan Pathfinder forum.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default Highlander Hybrid with CVT

We ordered a new 2015 2720 from the TM factory in February 2015, and soon after bought a 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid to tow it. This was before getting on the Owners Forum or really knowing what we were doing. The Trailmanor website said a 2720 was 2742 lbs so we thought we were good with the 3500 tow rating. While we waited for the factory (which ended up never coming through) I started reading the forum and doing more research on the Hybrid and towing. Mostly positive reviews on the CVT with towing, but by this time I had figured out that our 2720 with air conditioner and other options would be very close to the 3500 lbs, so I was a bit concerned it might not work. I asked our local dealership about it, and they said to make sure to do the transmission service, so I did. We ended up getting a used 2720 in June and since have taken 2 trips with it. It has been wonderful so far. No major mountain driving, but we did go over the Oregon coastal range from Seaside to Portland with some pretty decent grades. Set the cruise control at 60 and everything was smooth as could be. One time merging onto a freeway I looked down and we were going almost 80. Again, no problem accelerating. So far I'm pretty happy. I obviously can't speak to durability, but as I've done a little bit more research as to how they work, getting the transmission service so the fluid is in good shape seems to be very important, so I will likely do that more often than recommended.
I guess if I were in your shoes, what I would consider is the fact that they have a warranty on the transmission and a tow rating. Why would they do that if they knew it would fail?

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

If it works for you that is perfect. I just wanted "more" so have a class IV hitch and the the V6 is rated at 500/5000. ('14s and later have a 6000 lb rating)

My only concern for you would be the tongue weight. My 2720SL with batteries in the back has a tongue weight of 436 lbs. OF course a WDH would cure that issue.