TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 PM   #11
shebantam

I know there should not be a power drain, the old one did not have a drain, but it disappeared from the truck mysteriously...the dealer, who is no longer in business, literally gave me a new one. The new models were coming out and this one was an older one like mine. This was about 5 or 6 years ago.

We thought we had a new battery (actually we KNEW we had a newer battery), I am afraid my son switched it out for his old one. So Hubby bought a new battery today.

With a new battery we do not have a problem unless the truck sits all winter.
Bottom line is hubby is going to make me unplug the prodigy every time I am not towing. Maybe I will make him plug it in and unplug it
2006 Aliner Cabin A3
1999 Sunnybrook 26FK with WDH with sway
all pulled by a 1999 F150
shebantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

On/Off switch in dash maybe ? Mine shuts down a few minutes after the Jeep does but then I put anything not driven daily on a float charger.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
br2_wdc

Default Hopkins Flex Mount Brake Control installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl View Post
Yes Padgett. Everything is factory installed. I'm hoping it will go easy. I will let everyone know. Thanks.

daveinfl
Dave:
Were you able to get the brake controller installed? How did it work out for you? I have a similar TV to your, with the only difference being yours has a V6. I saw many nice V6's, but since I have a 3023 and have read MANY posts suggesting dry weight ratings are fiction, I decided I needed the extra towing capacity of the V8.

As you mentioned, the 4th Generation Explorers were a big step up, so I set my sights on finding a 2006-10 Ford Explorer with V8/6-speed trans combination with 4X4 and the factory tow package, rated at 7130 lbs (-500 lbs for Rear Air option, for a true rating of 6630). It took me awhile to find one in good condition, but I am extremely happy with the Eddie Bauer model I found. We have gone on 2 trips to date, and it has done the job: very smooth highway ride, good power for merging and hills when needed, plus I'm getting around 13 mpg (down from 15 mpg) which I'm thrilled with.

I looked at a number of different controllers and decided on the Hopkins InSight Flex Mount Brake Control. It allowed me to install the manual brake control right under the dash in easy reach, and the small display module in the left hand corner of the windshield. The main black box installed under the dash out of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hopkins-BrakeControl.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	12452  
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #14
daveinfl

br2_wdc,

Nice look vehicle. 2008 was a good year. By then they had worked out some of the other little issues the Explorers had. The big thing was the radiator leaking and the thermostat housing cracking on the 2006. Both of those things are in real good shape on my car.

My brake controller is working really well. I have had no problems with it at all. I have taken it on a couple 300 mile trips and one 2400 mile trip so far. It really works as advertised. In makes the car and Trailmanor almost brake as one unit. I'm happy with it.

I have added to my TV a guage to keep track of the transmission and cooling system temperature. I have set them to alert well before they over heat. But overall I am very happy with my vehicle. Good luck with yours.

Daveinfl
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default also have the Hopkins Flex Mount Brake Contriller

br2_wdc,

I also recently installed the Hopkins Flex Mount. Been pretty happy with it. I think it is officially the "Insight"

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #16
br2_wdc

Default Additional Details for 4th Gen. Ford Explorer V8's

Quote:
br2_wdc,

Nice look vehicle. 2008 was a good year. By then they had worked out some of the other little issues the Explorers had. The big thing was the radiator leaking and the thermostat housing cracking on the 2006. Both of those things are in real good shape on my car.

Daveinfl
Thanks and for V8's, from 2006-08 the big issues were spark plugs. Apparently it was a design issue that Ford remedied mid-2008, but mine was not included. The spark plugs were difficult to remove and would break inside the head, so they had to be drilled out. With mine the spark plugs had already had been replaced which was good news. Exhaust manifolds were another issue, and so far mine is OK on that also.

Quote:
I have added to my TV a guage to keep track of the transmission and cooling system temperature. I have set them to alert well before they over heat. But overall I am very happy with my vehicle. Good luck with yours.
Daveinfl
If you can provide any more details about the gauge I'd appreciate it
Old 10-16-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
br2_wdc

Default Hopkins InSight Flex Mount Brake Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
br2_wdc,

I also recently installed the Hopkins Flex Mount. Been pretty happy with it. I think it is officially the "Insight"
Yes I see that and I thought I was the "pioneer" on the forum for the Hopkins InSight Flex Mount Brake Control, but apparently you beat me to it! I also have been very happy with it, especially having the small display unobtrusively in corner of my windshield. It's a good position because I can clearly see the % braking each time I brake with the TM. The install was a bit more complicated then a normal controller, but nothing too difficult and it has worked well so far.