TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
TexasCamper

Default Which SUVs to consider....your opinions please!

Hey everyone,
I'm entering the shopping market for a SUV. I'd like the tow capacity to be north of 5,000 lbs. so I can have more flexibility with packing my 3023 and traveling more Rocky Mountain passes and higher elevations.

I've noticed that the current batch of mid-size SUVs (like Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, and Chevy Traverse) quote a standard 2,000 lb tow capacity but a 5,000 lb tow capacity with their tow package. I'm skeptical on how a tow package can more than double the tow capacity. Your thoughts?

So I'm looking at larger SUVs such as Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon. These are in the 6,000-9,000 lb tow capacity.

So what SUVs do you suggest I look at?
(p.s., considering used vehicles say 2010-2014 vintage due to sticker shock of some of these 2015 models!)

Thanks,
John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
stormpeakco

Default Everyday vehicle with adequate tow capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamper View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm entering the shopping market for a SUV. I'd like the tow capacity to be north of 5,000 lbs. so I can have more flexibility with packing my 3023 and traveling more Rocky Mountain passes and higher elevations.

I've noticed that the current batch of mid-size SUVs (like Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, and Chevy Traverse) quote a standard 2,000 lb tow capacity but a 5,000 lb tow capacity with their tow package. I'm skeptical on how a tow package can more than double the tow capacity. Your thoughts?

So I'm looking at larger SUVs such as Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon. These are in the 6,000-9,000 lb tow capacity.

(p.s., considering used vehicles say 2010-2014 vintage due to sticker shock of some of these 2015 models!)

Thanks,
John
TC John, (IMO) the ideal tow vehicle is one that may be utilized every day and decent at towing the TM on those occasions. A few TMOs have 3rd generation Durangos (w/ factory tow package) and seem to be satisfied with the overall performance, handling, brakes, safety features-air bags, cargo carrying capacity/3rd row seat, mpg, parking, wheel base and amenities outside of towing our 2720QB (w/ WDH) in the Rockies (620#/6200#, w/V6. Really wanted to avoid fueling, garaging and parking a larger land yacht). We considered a 4 Runner though liked the DD more for virtually everything but for the serious off road performance (not something we do a lot of on a regular basis).

This is nothing like our previous first generation Durango and my Brother in law from Texas (who previously owned Benz SUVs in the last 25 years) just purchased a DD for their everyday vehicle, long trips to Virginia and to tow their boat to the lake. There are other contributors on this forum who will present other decent vehicles. Good luck with your search. Dave
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
GolfingDebby

We tow our 2008 3326 with a 2004 Chevy Tahoe LT. We purchased the car new and it now has 190,000 miles on it. The only repair in all those miles (other than routine maintenance) was to replace the water pump. It has the 5.6L engine with the factory towing package. We get about 12 to 13 MPG when towing the fully loaded beast and barely know the TM is there...except when you pull out. We would recommend the Tahoe to anyone towing a larger TM. When this one finally goes off to the happy hunting ground it will be replaced with another Tahoe.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
stormpeakco

Default Your photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCamper View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
John
BTW, was your photo taken just north of Leadville, CO?
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
klpauba

I tow my '05 2720SL with a 2012 Traverse. The tow package gives you a heavy-duty radiator and a transmission cooler to provide the 5200 lb towing capacity. Additionally, there's a special "tow" switch that alters the behavior of the transmission shifting patterns.

I'm very happy using it for towing and not having to purchase a new vehicle just to enjoy the TM.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpauba View Post
I tow my '05 2720SL with a 2012 Traverse. The tow package gives you a heavy-duty radiator and a transmission cooler to provide the 5200 lb towing capacity. Additionally, there's a special "tow" switch that alters the behavior of the transmission shifting patterns.

I'm very happy using it for towing and not having to purchase a new vehicle just to enjoy the TM.

Me too!

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Not sure if the 3.5L Ecoboost is available in an SUV, but it is absolutely effortless pulling at high altitude. An amazing engine.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi John, because you want to pull your 3023 thru mountain passes, I wouldn't get a vehicle that has a V6, unless it is turbocharged. A V8 will get the job done, because it will have the HP and torque you'll need.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Opinions are going to be biased. That said for over thirty years I had nothing but GM vehicles and did A Lot of towing, mostly race cars.

Then I had an RV, a 21 ft diesel pusher with a manual transmission. For me it wa great but there was always the ssue of "when you get there, then what do you do ?

Now I have a '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee. DOHC 6, independant front and rear suspension, four wheel disk brakes with ABS, class IV towing package and is the best tow car I have had. Mine has a five speed and is rated for 5,000 lbs towing. New ones have an 8-speed and 6,200 rating. The Mercedes GL and the Jeep share the same chassis and was designed when Chrysler and Mercedes were joined. The standard equipment list is extensive.

I also purchased the Chrysler (factory not third party) lifetime warrenty (good until 999,999 miles or April 2095) so anything that breaks is covered. Do not know about anyone else but I tend to keep vehicles I like for decades.

You can get more power and a heavier towing rating (7200 lbs) with either the Hemi V8 or the EcoDiesel but I prefer a six particularly with DOHC aand VVT i&e. When not pulling a trailer it gets 20-22 mpg on 87 PON. Pulling the TM at 65 mph with the air con on it gets 17-18 mpg.

The Grand Cherokee is considered a "medium sized SUV" and mine weighs in at 4475 lbs with 2WD. 4WD is available but I have never needed it. It has all of the modern electronics like traction control and trailer sway control.

Three years ago I was rear ended while stopped in traffic by a full sized F*rd truck. The F*rd was totaled, I drove away normally and was shaken up but not injured.

So I am biased but have done a lot of towing. I also like being able to go to a nice restaurant (Orlando's "restaurant row" is just a few miles from my house) and just flip the fobic (keyless system) to a valet. OTOH it is small enough to be easy to park. It does need a rear view camera.

For someone looking for a tow car, the first decision is really "pick-up or SUV or minivan or... ?" and "does it have a towing package ?" Once you decide that the next issue is power: for me 290hp is enough and I have always liked 6's. Then 2WD vs 4WD. After that it is a matter of driving what is left and deciding what you like. There are also some leftover '14s around for significant discounts.

But since the '70s I have prefered a big two-seater with a lot of luggage space.

ps I think the Next Big Thing is direct injection with a supercharger that can give diesel performance on 87 PON. It is starting to become available and can give 125 hp/liter. Unfortunately theyare also quite thirsty as yet but that will change.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My personal experience -

I think the last "real" Explorer was the 2010 model. In 2011, it became a rebadged Taurus, with all that implies. I had 2 Explorers, a 2002 model and a 2007 model, both with tow ratings in the upper 6K range, and both with well over 130K miles when I traded them. Towing our TMs, we went everywhere with them, including the highest points in the Rockies and Sierras. If I could have purchased a 2013 or 2014 model, I would have done so in a heartbeat - but Ford's decision made that impossible.

If you could find a 2010 model with the factory towing package and the 4.7L V-8, I think it would be a great tow vehicle. I own an F-150 now, and it is great, but I miss those Explorers.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote