TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
davlin
TrailManor Master

Default F150 Trailer Battery Charge Relay and Fuse

So I mentioned this in another thread http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5&postcount=39 but there are enough late model F150 forum members out there that this bears repeating in a new one.

If you bought a late model F150, at least model years 2011-2014 (and maybe more) with the factory tow package, included with your vehicle was a plastic bag marked "AL3T-15A416-AA" sometimes the bag included instructions in it that said what the relay and fuse contained in the bag were for, and apparently sometimes it just contains the fuse and relay.

In either case, since you are a trailer tow-er, you would have quickly figured it out by looking in the owner's manual and installed them in your fuse/relay box. They must be in place in order for the tow vehicle to pass 12 vdc power back to your TM battery while the F150 is running. All other parts of 7-pin factory connection (lights and trailer brakes) are "hot," but you must have these extra items installed in the correct positions in order to have charging power to your trailer battery.

The dilemma, and the reason for this post, is if you don't buy your F150 brand new you may not get the bag, and the relay and fuse may never have been installed. When you first connect your TM to your "new" F150 everything seems to work properly. I only discovered the need for these parts because I was "fortunate" enough to blow the battery fuse while traveling three consecutive 10 hour days and couldn't keep the refrigerator cold.

Hope this helps someone else sometime....

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

+1, Dave, a good reminder for those that may have purchased used to check or didn't read their owners manual pertaining to towing.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I understand GM products may do the same thing.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
GolfingDebby

My dad bought his Tahoe used and it already had a U-Haul hitch installed on it. We couldn't figure out why their new battery was always dead when we reached the CG with their fridge set on battery. Took it to a U-Haul dealer and they figured it out. It was the same problem...no fuse in the 12V slot! He'd only towed a boat before he bought his TM and didn't need or miss the 12V.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDebby View Post
My dad bought his Tahoe used and it already had a U-Haul hitch installed on it. We couldn't figure out why their new battery was always dead when we reached the CG with their fridge set on battery. Took it to a U-Haul dealer and they figured it out. It was the same problem...no fuse in the 12V slot! He'd only towed a boat before he bought his TM and didn't need or miss the 12V.
Yes, the trailer 12 volt battery charging fuse was not installed on my 2003 Chevy Tahoe.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Good info and I am going to check that my used Toyota is actually charging as well. Don't recall if I ever specifically checked that output to be sure.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote