TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
JTorsrud

Default Tire Hubometers?

I'm not sure where I seen the ad, but there is a Hubometer available for Trailer Tires.

I was wondering if anyone is using this device on your TM's or know where I can find the website or distributor for these devices.

All replies appreciated.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Hubodometers?

That's a good idea, Jeff. I think you were looking at something in Trailer Life, though I am unable to find the article online.

A quick Google search turned up

http://www.stemco.com/hubodometers.htm - no price given

http://www.rvedition.com/products.htm - about $100 plus shipping.

http://www.gilmoredist.com/instrument-accutrak.htm - no price given

The biggest problem may be that these things are intended for trucks (i.e., huge tires), and they may not be available for our 14" Goodyear Marathons. For example, the Stemco site had an entry for Goodyear Marathon 15" tires, but not 14". This shouldn't be a big deal, though. You would just have to take the hubodometer reading, and add maybe 10%. The actual percentage would be easy to figure out.

This is worth following up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
JTorsrud

Default Re:Tire Hubometers?

Thanks Bill:

Stemco was the article I was thinking about!

Will check out the other sites as well.

Take care.

Jeff 8)
Old 02-08-2004, 06:31 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

This indeed does look like a very useful device to have...no more wondering how many miles the TM has been towed since the last wheel maintenance. However, after looking at RVEdition's website a bit further, it seems there's good news and bad news.

The good news is it looks like there's at least one Stemco model for 14 inch wheels.

OTOH, it appears that RVEdition's mounting method requires replacement of the bearing cap and I have a strong suspicion that's not going to work with the EZ-Lube bearings on the newer TMs.

Certainly worth calling RVEdition but I wouldn't have my hopes too high.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
JTorsrud

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll have to give them a call and find out if you can mount it or if there is another modification that can be made.

I'm more interested in mileage on the Tires, vs. the bearings.

Whatever I find out, I'll post it here.

Take Care.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
azroadrunner

Interesting gadget but, for the price, my logbook works just fine for me.

Jim
Old 02-09-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Can anyone come up with the original Trailer Life article? Scan it, or at least paraphrase the important parts? Sadly, I am not a subscriber, though I do buy their Big Book of Campgrounds every year.

One of the posts in their forum says
"In the March 1999 issue of Trailer Life magazine there was a product evaluation of an item called the Hubodometer. It is manufactureed by Stemco Inc. The Hubodometer mounts to one wheel on a trailer using 3 lug nuts."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

My tow vehicle has a small pre-installed device called an odometer. I find it helpful for keeping track of camping trips. Admittedly the trailer isn't always hooked to the TV, but I figure that if I know the total trip distance I can get close enough "for government work." I've only had one trailer tire blow-out, but it was going down Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, and that was enough excitement for an entire camping career.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #9
camperboy

I use the same method as GV for keeping track of the miles I've towed the TM. But I gotta wonder which gets the adrenaline going better. The blowout on Wolf Creek Pass or loosing the brakes on the TM on the same?
Old 02-09-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
Joe

I found the web site for Hubodometer. It is www.stemco.com.
However, I think you are wasting your time. These units are for semi trailers, guaranteed for over 500,000 miles.
The main point I make is that your tires are going to start dry-rot before you wear them out 'mileage-wise'. Every tire that I've had with a tread separation looked like the tread was good for several more years.
Get down under your trailer with a flashlight, a pencil and paper. Find the DOT code on your tires and write it down. Then convert that into the year and week it was manufactured. Five years from that date you ought to seriously consider replacing the tires. In the meantime, every time you use the trailer, inspect the tires for abnormal tread wear, sidewall cracking, etc. And BE SURE to keep them properly inflated.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote