TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
sparkett788

Default 1990 TM 28' towed by a 2006 Chevy Colorado

There's a TM for sale about 2-3 hours away. The guy has no idea of what he has--owned by a neighbor, given to his mother and now the guy is selling it for his mom. Asking price is $2500. I called the TM factory (great customer service, especially since I don't own one and asking about a USED one). They said they didn't make a 1990 28'. But the 1990 27' weighed in at 2533 pounds. My truck hauls 3100 pounds according to the manual in the glove box, and the dealership--I asked. Chevy Colorado with the 5 cylinder engine, 2WD, and I don't know much else. Had a hole for a towing hitch, but I understand that does not mean a 'towing package', so I really don't know. Ok, I've figured out that it's right at its limit there and I will be getting a stronger tow vehicle. BUT can I haul this thing home until I get another vehicle is my question. I called the owner and he says the only thing on the TM says Trail Manor 28. I'm going down Monday (4 days from now) to see it. No interior pics yet.
Also after reading long and hard, I think I understand the tongue weight can be changed by placement of certain items--generator on front, cargo being moved, etc. Is this right? Gosh, girls are so silly!!
Providing it's in good shape and I buy it, can I safely tow it home--slowly? No breaking any speed records.
Very up in the air about a new tow vehicle, but wanting a SUV type. Again, a girl question....2006 Chevy Colorado, with extended cab, no dents, good shape, and 51,000 miles. Can anyone help with a asking price. Looked up similar trucks on craigslist, but all have 100K+ miles. With this low mileage, can't I ask more? What a mouthful!! Thanks for any help at all.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

lets see if I can help a little , in the older one's a tm28 you would add four ft to get todays numbers to match, so a tm28 would be a larger one , in todays size that would be a 3225, the tm23 we had was really a 2720 in current layout.
if I am right on this , I will just say it with it being an older and heavier trailmanor is just a little much for your current tow vehicle, or 3124 is really about 3500 lbs dryweight , not to bust your bubble , just giving an honest answer

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

In my limited knowledge I agree with your numbers Randy, probably more than his TV should pull.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
sparkett788

I enlarged the pic and I do see Trail Manor 28 on the side. I realize this is too much to use it regularly. I only want to tow it home. Then park it until I do get a bigger vehicle. It's the tow home I'm worried about. Can I just get it home without tearing up the truck?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
MT Camper

I use to have a 2007 Chevy Colorado with a tow package and I know I could never pull the TM you are looking at, not even to get it home. I pulled a Pop Up Viking and it's weight was about 2,800 lbs loaded and that was all I felt I could pull safely and the Chevy specs stated I could pull 3,500 lbs (never used a weight distribution hitch). Does your Chevy Colorado have a 7 pin or 4 pin electric on the rear bumper? If no 7 pin then you probably don't have electric brakes and you need them pulling a TM. Just my experience with a Colorado comparable to yours.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
sparkett788

Well now that fully made up my mind. I won't even try it. Thanks for all the help. No I don't have those so it's a really bad idea. Got two years until retirement and looking for a lightweight RV to live in. Not sure if full time, but at least 4-6 months of the year. I owned a Viking pop up for many years in Arizona and sold it when I moved to Arkansas. Loved it and it was so much smaller. A TM would be luxury suite to me. LOL! Just me and maybe the 9 year old dog--if she lives that long.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
sparkett788

I appreciate all the help. I really think it best to let this one go. It's tempting but I really need to get a new vehicle first. Besides I haven't seen enough of the Trail Manors in person to really know if I was making a good deal. So, un-patiently, I wait. LOL! My day will come.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

If so you might let the others here know how to contact the owner. Someone else might want it.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #9
sparkett788

This was listed on craigslist--Little Rock, AR is anyone is interested. It's still for sale as far as I know.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
sparkett788

Default Replaced vehicle--Thanks for the help!

I decided I wanted to replace the vehicle first. I felt it was the most important thing to do....I traded the truck for a 2013 Nissan Xterra with 5000lbs towing. That put a little crimp in the Trail Manor budget--but not as big if I crashed one. LOL! Will look at other RV's such as the little Casita, but they don't have near the room. Trail Manor is still my first choice. I'll be camping in a tent until then and check out every one I can find. There's a rally for fiberglass trailers in Barling, Arkansas in Sept. Hoping I can see a Trail Manor there.