TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default I joined the blowout club.

I thought I could get one last trip in before replacing my tires. The tires were 3 1/2 years old and at about 30K miles and we heard a noise. DW was driving and looked in the mirror to see the tire smoking, about the same time the tire sensor alarm went off indicating a rapid deflation. We were 2K short of home on a trip that will probably be 15K.

Because we knew right away the tire had some steal belt showing but held together. The plumbing protector had some scratches but early detection of a problem prevented it from really being tested. We put the spare on and were lucky enough to find a place to get new tires and still make it to our original destination for the day. Don't know much about Hercules tires but beggars can't be choosers. Looked on Amazon and several people gave them good reviews.

I can't say it was a positive experience but we both felt like things could not have worked out better given we had a blow out.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
johntrob

What brand of tire did you have that blew?

John
Old 11-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That is just sad. Sorry to hear you had to join us. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, and that she was able to retain control of the vehicle.

Aside from brand as asked above, what else can you tell us about it? Tire size, tire pressure, tire temp (and temp difference between tires), ambient temp, road condition, approximate TM weight (heavy/light, water/no water, etc.).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Can tell from the first two characters after DOT on the sidewall where the tire was made. I suspect it is UP and was made by Cooper in Ohio. Is this a Power STR tire ? Have not been able to find much about the construction, what is the number of plies listed on the sidewall please ?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Good for you.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I have to say I think I got my money's worth out of the tires. I had planned to replace them next camping season. I got them at Les Schawb, a N.W. company I have been doing business with for years and trust. They were Gladiator ST 225/75-15. Tire pressure was running about 65 and they were probably about 65 degrees. I don't think there was much more than a couple of degrees difference between the two tires. That was how they had been running on the trip. The one on the sunny side a little higher. It was a cool day 50's or maybe low 60's. Road was good. TM weight was whatever I normally run at. Sorry I don't really know, but I am not overloaded as I put much of my extra stuff in the bed of the truck. Part of the reason I got the Tundra and 15 inch tires was so I didn't have to worry too much about that. It had been cold the night before, possibility of freezing, so I had drained everything but the grey water and it was less than a third full.

I think I may have just tried to get too much out of the tires. I had considered getting new ones before the trip but thought they would make it. I was 2K miles off. With the tire monitor and plumbing cage I felt I could probably survive a blowout. Even if we had not heard the tire go the monitor alarm went off within 5 seconds of the pop so we had plenty of time to slow down and get off the road before the tire had a chance to really come apart. I would highly recommend anyone considering the monitors to get them. They have given me comfort from the time I put them on.

By the way DW handled it like a professional driver.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

I'd be interested in learning more about tire monitoring systems. What kind do you have? Do you get from tire company, etc.?

Thx,

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hey Cindy, I'm sure Lesherp will chime in with what kind he uses, but in the mean time, if you go on Amazon a type in tire pressure monitoring system, you can see all of the various types and read reviews,

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Been checking on Amazon and the majority have a sensor that screws in place of the valve cap.
What to look for
- psi and temperature
- replacable standard size sensor battery
- pressure capability equal to your tires (many are only spec'd to 60 psi)
- most can only set one alarm psi (not for car and trailer)

Have seen some reviews that said there was no warning.

Still thinking about it.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
rumbleweed

I have been using monitors from TST for several years. Several other owners have been using them as well. The company is good to work with. The 507 is the newer one and the tire sensors have user replaceable batteries. It is great peace of mind. See link below,

http://tsttruck.com/