TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Default Front Diamond Plate Stone Guard???

Just wonder if anyone had added the Front Diamond Plate Stone Guard?

I saw at the factory the new TM's have it. I asked about making the mod at the factory. It sounds like you would pull the front 4 pieces of molding and window. Apply the diamond plate and re-caulk the molding and window. I assumed there are some screws that hold the Diamond plate under the molding? You may need to use longer screws for the windows and any molding that is screwed in.

tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Digger

Put it on mine a couple of years ago. We put a lot of miles on rough roads and I was getting tired of doing body repairs each year. The diamond plate is light and it's cheaper than the bondo and paint. Well worth the mod if you travel rough roads.
Ed
Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Put it on mine a couple of years ago. We put a lot of miles on rough roads and I was getting tired of doing body repairs each year. The diamond plate is light and it's cheaper than the bondo and paint. Well worth the mod if you travel rough roads.
Ed

What thickness do you use? Weight? Have any effect on lifting?
Thanks

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Digger

Code:
What thickness do you use? Weight? Have any effect on lifting?
Thanks

Don’t remember the gauge for sure but think it is .0625, about 1/16“. Haven’t noticed any difference in lifting the front shell. Weighed a piece and it was around one pound per sq. ft. Used aluminum pop rivets to put it on and sealed edges with silicone. Didn’t cover the rock shield for the window. It’s taken a beating and holding up good.

Ed
Old 07-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Thank you fot the info

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Digger, did you use any glue, or just rivets. Where are the rivets? Are they all covered by the molding, or are some exposed when fished? About how long did it take?

I'm assuming you attach it to the front and then cut out the window opening when it was attached?

I will see how the front holds up, but could see this mod if it starts to get beat up.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Digger

Code:
Digger, did you use any glue, or just rivets. Where are the rivets? Are they all covered by the molding, or are some exposed when fished? About how long did it take? 
I'm assuming you attach it to the front and then cut out the window opening when it was attached?

I didn’t use any glue in case I ever had to remove the panels. I didn’t remove the molding. I cut the panels to fit against it and put a bead of silicone around the outside edge before placing the panels. I also put a dab of silicone in each rivet hole before putting in the rivets which are spaced around the edge about a foot apart. I used the same material to fabricate a skid plate under the propane tanks as they were taking a real beating. It also protects the area under the window. The top section I just added last year, it was getting dinged up to much from rocks thrown up by passing vehicles. After over a thousand miles on gravel roads and thirteen trips over the Alcan, twelve of them in the winter when the roads are sanded/graveled, I needed to do something. It's raining here so the pic is not the best.
Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843 [640x480].JPG
Views:	228
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	10379
Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
moaboy

Looks great, especially your cut outs around lights.
At any given time during the summer due to repair, construction etc. how much of the Alcan would be gravel, dirt ?
I'm looking to spend next summer in your beautiful state.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
Digger

Quote:
Looks great, especially your cut outs around lights.
At any given time during the summer due to repair, construction etc. how much of the Alcan would be gravel, dirt ?
I'm looking to spend next summer in your beautiful state.

Moaboy

Thank you for the kind words. I can’t take credit for any cut outs around the lights though. I removed the lights and drilled a hole in the diamond plate, installed a grommet and fed the wires through then mounted the lights back on top of the diamond plate. As for the Alcan, it’s good road all the way, almost. You shouldn’t have any trouble with stones or gravel in the summer. The only bad stretch is the last 80 to 100 miles of the Yukon between Burwash Landing and Beaver Creek, The frost heaves and pavement breaks can get really bad. When you see a little red flag on the side of the road slow way down. Just take it slow and enjoy the scenery. There is always a chance of some road work going on but last trip I made there wasn’t any construction. So come on up and enjoy and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Oh, and get a Mile Post.

Tags
diamond plate