TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
bayoubill

Default Spare Tire Placement on Newer TM's

Recently, I read about how difficult it is to re-install the spare under the TM or how the bars were creating indentions in the spare tire. So I had some free time this morning. I decided to see how hard it will be to remove the spare should I have a flat tire. OMG!

I hope the previous owner is responsible for using long industrial strength cotter pins to secure the bar because I would hate for TM to purposely have used them in production. It was a nightmare. I would have hated to be stranded on the road due to the cotter pins. The pins were extra thick and long enough to almost double around itself.

I eventually used a hack saw blade to cut through them. After about an hour, I have the spare tire and rack stored in my utility shed. I plan on throwing the spare into the back of the truck on trips.

Oh, what is the purpose of putting cotter pins on either side of the bars on the end facing the back of the trailer. Were the two sets of cotter pins used to keep the spare tire rack from rattling. Just curious!

I feel better now.
bayoubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

No cotter pins on my camper. It has a ~1/4" x 1" pins with a head and a retaining pin through a hole in the shank to keep it from bouncing out.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
bayoubill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
No cotter pins on my camper. It has a ~1/4" x 1" pins with a head and a retaining pin through a hole in the shank to keep it from bouncing out.
I have what you mention on the rack near the front door but four cotter pins on the rear side of the tire rack.
bayoubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We have the same as tentcamper and the rack is mounted near the front door. Sounds like the previous owner made up something different?

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I replaced the pins with 1 1/4 3/8-16 stainless bolts, flat washers, & nylon lock nuts. because I have some. The lock nuts mean I just can run 'til they feel tight enough not to rattle which leaves a 1/2" gap between the flanges. Since I always carry tools, a 9/16 box end and a 9/16 socket with the bar on the bottle jack makes the removal quick.

Some say they put the bar flange over the one on the frame. That would be stronger but would seem to put too much pressure on the tire.

I also orient the spare with the front side down and the stem pointed at the outside so easy to check the pressure.

A receiver and spare tire mount on the back might be easier all around.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bayou Bill -

Like Tentcamper, I'm not recognizing your description. My 2006 TM has the pins described by Tentcamper (I think they are called clevis pins), with a clip (not a cotter pin) through each one to prevent the pin from bouncing out. Access to the rack and the tire is from the door side of the TM - actually just forward of the door. The rack slides in and out quite smoothly, although I did have to modify the ledge of the rack a bit to accomodate the thicker tire. You probably saw that discussion in post #4 here

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=41883

Nothing gets done from the street side of the camper, which is what you seem to be describing. If this isn't coming together for you, perhaps a photo would help, but it sounds like a previous owner did something strange.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Bill, thanks for the link.

I have been thinking about many different way to lower the spare. But wanted to keep with the original concept. When I replaced the original spare. The rack looks like it may have destroyed the spare with all the force and 10 years of hanging on the rack.

I'm also planning to go to 15" in the future. So as a temp fix, I can see making the mod. Maybe using some spacers until I go to 15"
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote