TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
hoverlover

Default Kumho tire failure 4/16/14

For info: Apparent delaminating
Kumho radial 857, 195 R14 C. Manufacture date 0611, purchased/installed 9/2011. Approximately 4K miles, tread in excellent condition.
Return trip from Jacksonville, Fl area to St. Louis, MO area. Averaging 65 MPH.
Started feeling vibrations at 55 mph which disappeared at 60mph., thought they could possibly be from TV. Stopped at rest area and noticed slight bulge or "egg" on right 2619 tire, mid tread.. My TPMS showed normal pressures and Temps. The suspect tire was just slightly higher in temp(73 vs 68) than the other and it was a cool day. Drove another 60 miles when vibrations increased and occurred at 60 mph also. Pulled into rest stop and saw that bulge was bigger. Changed tire and proceeded home. Appears to be delaminating. Called Tire Rack where I purchased it and will be be getting prorated rebate.
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Sterman
Site Sponsor

It is just sad that the only trailer tires available are Chinese-made and Chinese tires are so questionable/iffy and often, junk.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Of coarse only time will tell, but the Maxxis ST's were the only ones I found that didn't have any recalls or negative reviews. I've had a set on my TM for over a year now and have had no issues; however like I said " only time wil tell".

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
TravlinOn

Agree with Redtail and also use Maxxis tires, no problems so far. However, lots of discussion here about traveling at over 55mph with 14inch tires. Overweight? Not meaning to imply anything - just trying to be fair.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
trailbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterman View Post
It is just sad that the only trailer tires available are Chinese-made and Chinese tires are so questionable/iffy and often, junk.
Kumho tires are made in Vietnam. I have them on my TM since spring 2012. I will be checking regularly. It's lucky you caught the problem before you had a blowout. What really concerns me is that the weight of your trailer is probably well within the weight rating for the tire.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
bayoubill

Have you taken the tire off of the rim? Generally a bulge on a sidewall is caused by a side impact. Most side impacts are the result of a pothole. Keep us informed.
bayoubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
ragmopp

My Kumho's have been on since 2009. No problem yet, but most likely will replace this year...

Which brings up a point. IF I replace should I also replace the spare? Never been put on a axle. I would ONLY use it as a spare...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think a steel wire broke in the belt and the belt shifted. One down side to radial tires. But you did not have a blowout. We have had that same problem with two different Michelin tires, one on my Van and the other on the DW car. Potholes did it.

I would buy maxxis, but never found a tire shop that stocks them. Not too good if on a trip if you need a tire? One thing is for certain with a trailer: it's not if your will lose a tire? But when?

We have been lucky. We have not been on the side of the road changing tires since the 90's. We have had some tires go bad that we caught when inspecting them.

I have had very good luck with Goodyears and they are available across the county at tire shops. Goodyears seems to have had a bad spell ending about 3-4 years ago that lasted about 3 years. But I'm not hearing the issues for tires made during the last 3-4 years or before that spell.

I know there has been problems with goodyears on the TM form. But did TM every make a camper without Goodyear's. So any problem with original TM tires are going to be goodyears? It seems to me that all trailers forms talk about tires problems.

Kumho, I have heard good things about. But can not get past thinking of them a bicycle tires.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
My Kumho's have been on since 2009. No problem yet, but most likely will replace this year...

Which brings up a point. IF I replace should I also replace the spare? Never been put on a axle. I would ONLY use it as a spare...
Ragmopp, if you don't replace your spare and get a flat, i would stop at the next town and buy a new tire and take the spare back out of service.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

What's the date code on the spare? Is it the same brand as the road tires?

Yes put the spare on. If your far form home you should buy what ever tire you can to have a spare. I had that happen to me back in the early 90's. Once I got home, I bought the brand I wanted and the tire shop gave me a few bucks for the new tire I bought while on the road.

But we all have heard the stories about the spare that blows a few miles down the road. If I lost my street side tire and the spare was old. I might consider swamping the curb tire to the street and putting the spare on the curb side. Only because I would not want to take out my drains.

If you are driving with tires you put on in 09. They could have an older date code then the purchase date. You should be thinking about checking the date code. I think most people are changing their tires between 4 or 5 years based on the date code. I once read, never pull a trailer if the date code is 7 years or older.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote