TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Rear view cameras

Redtail Cruiser posted this link to a rear view camera some time back. Do a search for "camera" for more info if you think that might help.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Wireles...ype=10&veh=aff
Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Troglodyte

I am pulling a 2922 with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I use towing mirrors but really like seeing behind me when changing lanes or getting on a highway. For me the solution was a rear view camera that jacks into my Rand McNally RV7720 GPS. I purchased from here: http://www.dieselboss.com/Travrout/g...nd_rv_rvnd.htm

The camera has been updated in this listing so I can't speak to its quality. The one I have from last year has been excellent. I did buy the optional trailer disconnect. I also added a tractor LED utility light to the reverse light circuit on the TM for night campsite parking.

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
tarudy

What if you don't have a Rand McNally GPS to plug the camera into? Does anyone have a good rearview camera system that they like and would recommend?

I have heard that the wireless cameras aren't that great, maybe too grainy...

The most stressful part of towing my TM is having to make quick or even slow lane changes and not being able to see behind me well enough. It seems dangerous, I even tried to change lanes once on my first trip after I thought I had checked the lane out, I heard a faint horn back there and so I returned to original lane and sure enough I had almost forced someone off the road (at highway speeds).

Thank you,
Trudy
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Trudy, I have been using the GE wireless camera system for some time now and have found it to be helpful. I mounted the camera in a magnetic parts bowl, purchased at a local auto parts store. I simply put Velcro strips in the bowl and then I could use it on my truck's tailgate to assist with hooking up the TM, although I don't use it this way anymore, my new TV has a built-in camera system. I additionally Superglued a small, 2"x2", steel plate to the rear roof of the TM and use the camera there while towing. I mounted the viewing screen on an old Garmin screen holder that sits on the dash.

The screen image is good, a little grainy, but clear enough to identify what type of vehicle is behind you and if it's safe to change lanes or not. I had a similar experience to yours before I got the camera, in that I started to change lanes unaware of the corvette that was coming up behind me doing about 85mph. Whew, that was a close one. No surprises anymore.

I purchased mine on eBay for $100, but Wallmart sells it for $150. TravlinOn posted the link in his post.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
tarudy

Thank you Tim!
Trudy
Old 04-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
tarudy

Hi Tim,

I have read your post a few times and plan to get a wireless camera. I even went to the auto parts store to see what the magnetic cup was... but I am wondering what does the magnetic cup accomplish for you? Why not just bolt the camera to the top of the TM? Doesn't the magnetic cup collect water when it's raining and cause your camera to sit in a bath?

Thanks,
Trudy
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

On my Jeep and RV I use a wireless camera that bolts at the top of the license plate. I plan to put another on the back of the TM and power from the brake light that way I can ride on the brake slightly and turn the camera on. I would suggest that a 4" display is pretty much the smallest you can see. I have the display in the RV in a mirror that clips on the essentially useless dash mirror.

If you buy separately say from Amazon, make sure the camera can talk to the display.

ps I would not mount the camera more than about three feet off the ground or you may miss close low objects like a curb.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
tarudy

Hi Padgett,

Thanks for the tips. Wouldn't you prefer to have the rear view camera on all the time so you can glance at it without having to ride the brake a little? Anyway, I think that's what I would like, I will just have to wire it to one of the wires that's on all the time, like running lights.... Which camera systems are you using?

Thanks, Trudy
Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sounds good but would require a system capable of continuous duty. Besides the ones I already installed in the Jeep and RV, I am working with a lot of different systems.

Other issues:
Multiple cameras
One display for may uses
Matching display to camera (easier if wireless TX and RX are separate & matched)

Am also focusing on systems under $100 though for continuous duty that may nor be possible.

The other issue is the newest devices from the car vendors take inputs from the CAN bus and show the steer angles and path. This is not practical with a trailer.

These are some of the ones I am working with. The 2.5" display is just for testing, it is too small to be usable unless within about 8" of your face. A practical minimum is 4" (have a new 4.3 with dual inputs coming in).

My cars (and soon to be a TM) are a lot of things to me besides transportation. They are learning experiences, hobbies, and rolling testbeds as well. It helps if odd. The only thing I lack is playtime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bucs.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	9732  
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Trudy,

I put the camera in the magnetic cup so I could use it on the tailgate of my old TV and on the roof of the TM. This camera is not water proof, so if it's raining you would want to pull over and take it out of the rain. That is a down side, if you live or camp in wet areas. Since I live in SoCal, I'm rarely concerned with rain.

As far as continuous use goes, the three and a half inch screen is powered by your 12v cigarette lighter outlet and the camera is powered by AA batteries, which last 6 to 8 hours of continuos use. A low battery signal appears on your screen then you have about another hour before they go dead.

Not the perfect systerm, but well worth the minimal investment.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote