TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
bayoubill

Default Passenger vs Trailer Tires

Just trying to get my ducks in a row. I am going to look at a 2005 3326 tomorrow at a dealer. I have asked the salesman several questions. One question was the date of manufacture of the tires. The tires were manufactured in 2006 and 2007. I am concerned about the trip home should I purchase this unit.

If I buy the 3326, I will replace the tires. The approximate dry weight of the 2005 3326 is 3520 lbs. The max load of the four trailer tires is about 7200 lbs. The max load of four passenger tires is about 6600 lbs. More passenger tires are sold so the price of the passenger tires are cheaper than trailer tires which are a low volume manufacture. The max load of the passenger tires is over 3000 lbs. above the dry weight of the 3326. Why should I not use the passenger tires?
bayoubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would not let some tires get in the way of buying the camper if you like it. I would not go to a auto tire. They are not built with a stiff sidewall so the trailer is mushy behind the TV. Every one tells you not to use auto tires on a trailer from DOT to the tire manufactures, so there must be something to it

I would add to what ever deal I made 4 new tires. If I did not think they could get the tires that day. I would buy 4 tires at my local tire shop with the understanding that I could return them if I did not buy the camper and take them with me and have them installed there.

FYI: 7 years is getting old. DOT set the ground work after FORD had all the tire issues, that liability go to a tire shop, if they install 10 year old tires. I had a friend that had a brand new 10 year old tire and could not find a tire shop that would mount it.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
MisterP

One reason auto tires are not recommended, particularly for a two axle trailer, is scrubbing. As the trailer moves, it pivots on a tire on one side or the other. Other tires are being pulled sideways, an effect called scrubbing. Trailer tires are designed for this. Auto tires can fold under and be pulled off the rim.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
MisterP

Regarding cost and availability, I replaced the tires on our 3326 last fall. I am doing this from memory, so I may have the sizes wrong, but our trailer had 215 R75-14 tires, which were relatively expensive to replace. The tire dealer recommended going to 205 R75-14, stating they were the most common trailer tire sold. Price dropped a lot, and they had current date codes. Load capacity for each tire only dropped 50 lbs or something like that. One of the advantages of having the second axle.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
bayoubill

That is great idea. I will check it out. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
TravlinOn

I agree with the above comments and also add that passenger tires are not usually subjected to standing in one place for months at a time, light truck tires are not either. Trailer tires are designed with that in mind.

BTW = your trailer weight looks lite. Does that include the options such as an AC unit, awning, cabinets, etc.? My 3326 weighed in at 4600 lbs empty but with a little propane in the tanks and the water tank maybe a quarter full, gray and black empty. Just to say: It's best to more than enough weight carrying ability on those tires than just enough.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #7
bayoubill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
I agree with the above comments and also add that passenger tires are not usually subjected to standing in one place for months at a time, light truck tires are not either. Trailer tires are designed with that in mind.

BTW = your trailer weight looks lite. Does that include the options such as an AC unit, awning, cabinets, etc.? My 3326 weighed in at 4600 lbs empty but with a little propane in the tanks and the water tank maybe a quarter full, gray and black empty. Just to say: It's best to more than enough weight carrying ability on those tires than just enough.
I was just using information from the TM website. Did your 4600 lbs figure come from weighting your TM on a scale?