TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
CrazyCampers

Default What a difference the changes make!

We had a great time this weekend at Indian Trails Campground in Pardeeville, WI. We went hiking, canoeing, swimming, and had lots of campfires. We also visited Olbrich Botanical Gardens and Cave of the Mounds.

While we were there we did a couple more mods to our TM. I did the shower mod, replacing one fabric curtain with a vinyl curtain trimmed to fit the folding walls and applied with velcro. I also added a hook with a hanging shower organizer to hold the shampoo and soap bottles. The nice thing is that you can unhook it and drop it in the tub when traveling or take it with if you go to the campground showers. My DH loved the changes. I plan on shortening half of the remaining fabric curtain so it does not interfere with the faucet.

I also took the opportunity to rip that stupid vinyl skirt off the toilet. Stuff flushes now and we no longer need a push stick. If we ever need to travel with a full toilet, I plan to line the bowl with some aluminum foil during transit.

We changed the mod for the external refrigerator/fan switch to be two switches now instead of one. This lets us turn each on and off separately from outside.

We also replaced the tiny folding step stool with a sturdy two step one from HD. I feel so much safer being able to sit on the edge of the rear bed and place my feet on the step stool instead of the dangling-foot-over-the-edge-and-hoping-you don't-fall maneuver. The stool fits in the tub during travel. This was my favorite change!

DH and I replaced our two separate sleeping bags with one queen size bag. It is so much nicer to have the sleeping bag not shifting around when you move. I bought the bag online for only $80 or so and really enjoy it.

I suspect that TM only had one length divider curtain, which works for the rear bed and for the non-slide model front bed. On the dinette models, the curtain oddly stopped a foot too short. I added an extra 18" onto the curtain at the front of the trailer so it now comes down all the way to the bottom of the dinette when folded into a bed. My D16 loves her private little sleeping nook away from everyone else. S13 sleeps on an air mattress that fits on the kitchen area floor perpendicular to the dinette. The air mattress fits on the rear bed during the day and on the dinette while traveling, so we only have to fill it on the first night of the trip. With the rear divider curtain closed as well, everyone has their own private area.

One surprise we had was that we did not know that the toilet itself has a 5A glass fuse. The toilet stopped flushing and the fuses in the panel were fine.I couldn't log on here to check so I called TrailManor and talked to Ed who was helpful as always. What a relief to find out it was just a blown fuse!

It's taken us six weekend trips, but I think we are finally working out all of the kinks in our procedures. Everyone has a job. S13 helps DH with the outside setup while D16 helps me inside. She is in charge of velcro, tv, and setting up the WIFI repeater while I do the rest. The kids now know how to make the dinette into a bed, so that is one less chore on my list.

One thing that worked well is getting everyone their own color-coded laundry bag. You are limited to taking the amount of clothes you can stuff in the bag. Before the trip, we pop open the front shell and toss the bags on top of the dinette. After hanging up and putting the clean clothes in place, everyone is in charge of putting their dirty clothes in their laundry bag. During the day it is stored on the rear bed, along with all the bedding and pillows. At night the bags go under the dinette bed. When traveling home, they go on top of the dinette, so you can pop open the front shell shell to get them out when you get home. Everyone gets one backpack/personal bag that they take with them between the TV and the TM.

I also use a cooler to store all of the cold food on the first day. It has a cushion on top so it can be used for extra seating and is placed along the wall between the dinette and the door. After opening the TM, we empty the food into the pre-chilled fridge and move the dry goods in a bag in the cooler. When it is time to go home, we take the bag of dry goods out of the cooler and fill the cooler with leftover cold food and ice packs for the ride home.

We are planning out our two week road trip to the Grand Canyon. We decided that on the long drive days, we will do no cooking. We will only bring snacks and simple breakfast food. Breakfast will be hard boiled eggs, cereal, and muffins. That means the microwave and its cabinet does not have to be set up, the propane can stay off, and no cabinets need to be hung. The TV will stay wrapped up and we won't bother with the WIFI repeater. The dinette will be left down as a bed and everyone will shower at night. We will stay hitched if possible. When we get to the destination, we will shop for three days of groceries at a time. (Any more than that does not seem to fit in the fridge anyway.) I am working on meal plans for the trip with associated grocery lists.

We are really enjoying our TM and can't wait for the big trip in a month!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
kieranmullen

Where was the fuse for the toilet located? Post a picture if you can. Thanks
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

The fuse is located under the cover with the flush switch. Remove the two screws for access. Thetford recommends that the 5 amp fuse be replaced with a 7 amp fuse if it continues to blow during normal use.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
CrazyCampers

Yes it is under the cover on the top of the toilet. Ed at TrailManor said we could replace it with a larger one (up to 7.5A) as well. We were able to find one at an auto supply store. I am making sure I don't push the button for too long or too frequently now!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Thanks for sharing all the great mods! You've done things that I've been thinking of doing for a couple of years now. Can you post a picture or link of the hanging shower holder? Thanks!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
CrazyCampers

You can find it on Amazon if you search for Mesh Shower Organizer - Shower King by Bajer. I hung the center part on a plastic over the door hook instead of the shower head as shown in the picture.

If anyone is interested in a good laundry bag, here is a search for the one I ordered from Amazon: Medium Laundry Bag with Drawstring, Shoulder Strap, Locking Closure, Size: 24x36. They are very sturdy and come in a lot of colors.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Thanks!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCampers View Post
Yes it is under the cover on the top of the toilet. Ed at TrailManor said we could replace it with a larger one (up to 7.5A) as well. We were able to find one at an auto supply store. I am making sure I don't push the button for too long or too frequently now!
I had to replace the 5 amp fuse on the first or second camp out. When I replaced it with a 7 amp I never had a problem after that. I used a small plastic bag to hold the remaining fuses I bought, since I think it was a "5 pack" and placed it in that same area under the plastic lid where the fuse holder was.

That way, if I blow the fuse again, I'll have the replacements right there without the need to pull my hair out and saying nasty words trying to find the replacement fuses that I put "somewhere".
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote