TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
hoppe1

Default can I survive one trip without transmission cooler

I'm going to pick up a new 2720SL the day after tomorrow in Virginia. I live in NJ. Today I dropped off my 2008 Honda Odyssey at the dealer for installation of a transmission cooler. Honda called back and said they could not install because a power steering line was in the way - apparently mods to the power steering are required as well. I no longer have time to get a cooler installed before I have to pick up the trailer. Can I reasonably drive from Virginia to NJ without a transmission cooler? It's about a 6 hour drive. Does anyone know what kinds of shops would install transmission coolers besides car dealers? Thanks!
hoppe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
MisterP

Only you can decide, but my choice would be call the dealer or seller and offer to overnight mail them a certified check as a deposit to hold the trailer until you can get there.

Unless you personally know a reputable transmission shop, I would use the Honda dealer for the cooler.

When I bought my toy hauler in PA and I was living in Baltimore, I blew my diesel fuel pump on the way to pick it up. It ran a bit strange without the load, but as soon as I hooked up the trailer, I could only go 35 mph on the interstate. Turned around, dropped the trailer off and told them I would be back when I got the truck fixed.

Stuff happens, get your tow vehicle set up the way you want it, then tow the trailer.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Only you can decide, but my choice would be call the dealer or seller and offer to overnight mail them a certified check as a deposit to hold the trailer until you can get there.

Unless you personally know a reputable transmission shop, I would use the Honda dealer for the cooler.

When I bought my toy hauler in PA and I was living in Baltimore, I blew my diesel fuel pump on the way to pick it up. It ran a bit strange without the load, but as soon as I hooked up the trailer, I could only go 35 mph on the interstate. Turned around, dropped the trailer off and told them I would be back when I got the truck fixed.

Stuff happens, get your tow vehicle set up the way you want it, then tow the trailer.
Sound advice from MisterP. Even if you tow the TM without the transmission cooler and "make it," you don't know what extra wear and damage you may be accumulating on your transmission. This is just a worry you don't need.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

You have to weight the potential risk against have the trailer a couple days sooner-
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Laura FM

Seems to me if you need it in general, you would need it for a six hour drive.

We had ours installed at a transmission shop. They did a good job.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Your other option would be to rent a proper tow vehicle to get your trailer home if there is a chance you would lose your deal on the Virgnia TM.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

Don't forget the brake controller
Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
moaboy

I think you can do it IF u take it easy. I did not put a cooler on my Ody immodestly and did fine. Break the trip up and stop after a couple hours.
Obviously your call.
My Honda dealer ha no problem adding the Honda transmission cooler to my 2000 Ody,but newer ones may be different? Some dealers are better than others too, that have more experience with this type of modification.
Good luck. In time u will be happy with your set up.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
rumbleweed

Rent a truck with brake controller . Odds are the Ody will make it home this time, but you will impact the life of the trans.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
hoppe1

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a transmission cooler installed at a local transmission shop for about $400. The car (2008 Odyssey) had no noticeable trouble pulling the 2720SL from Salem VA (Snyder's RV) to my home in New Jersey.
hoppe1 is offline   Reply With Quote