TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
hoppe1

Default Need WDH part # that is compatible with 2720sl swing hitch

Does anyone have a brand/part number for a weight distributing hitch that is compatible with the swing-away hitch on a new 2720SL? My tow vehicle will be a 2008 Honda Odyssey. I just bought the trailer and haven't gotten a hitch yet.
Thanks!
hoppe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppe1 View Post
Does anyone have a brand/part number for a weight distributing hitch that is compatible with the swing-away hitch on a new 2720SL? My tow vehicle will be a 2008 Honda Odyssey. I just bought the trailer and haven't gotten a hitch yet.
Thanks!
I have a 2007 2720 with a swing tongue. I use a Reese model # 67509 WDH, it has a 800 lb tongue weight capacity. It works great; however I have a F150 as a TV, but Reese also sells the right hitch for your Odyssey. Good luck and welcome to the Trailmanor Forum. Have fun camping!

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Welcome to the group. We were never able to find one that was compatible with ours. I had to add an extension to one of the spring bars so it wouldn't interfere with the pivot point on the tongue. That problem was solved when we removed the swing tongue completely since it failed in several places.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
hoppe1

So far - the hitch installation dealer has told me that weight distribution hitches are not needed with a 3000 lb trailer. He said to try it without it. Is that even an option?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppe1 View Post
So far - the hitch installation dealer has told me that weight distribution hitches are not needed with a 3000 lb trailer. He said to try it without it. Is that even an option?
Not an option for you. You're towing with an Oddy, 3500# weight limit for towing, and the hitch weight will exceed the specs without a WDH, guaranteed. Plus, your TM will weigh more than 3000#. Don't even think about it.

I tow with your "twin" (Toyota Sienna) so I know from whence I speak!

I will get you the specs off my WDH when I get home today, works great with a minivan and the swing-away hitch.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
hoppe1

Thanks very much for the helpful responses. I'm now being told by my dealer that the "only" hitch that will work with the 2012 2720SL with swing away hitch is the Equalizer Hitch, part #90-00-0600. They've gone ahead and ordered one, but I still don't know what to believe. This hitch is $750 vs. $300-$400 for others out there. It's incredible how much conflicting info there is out there on this topic. I live in NJ and I'm picking up the trailer in Virginia on Friday, so I don't have time to investigate further at this point.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
clown9644

Not a safe option to not use a wdh. TMs are tongue heavy to keep from having the sway problems BUT in doing so they exceed the tongue weight of most class 3 hitches, which without a WDH is only 500 pounds but into the thousands with one. I have an F150 with the factory installed towing package and the tongue limit is 500 without a WDH. They hitch issue has nothing to do with the towed weight (3000) but tongue weight.
I wonder if your hitch installer has done any studying about this???
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this predicament. The problem may have to do with a dealer who wants to sell you a pricey hitch. Or it may actually have to do with the Ody - seems to me they ride rather low to the ground even without a load, and so you may need a special hitch receiver (not the WDH hitch itself) to deal with this.

However, I can assure you that the problem does NOT have to do with using a WDH on a TM with a swing away hitch (swing tongue). Hundreds of us on this board (including me) have a swing tongue and a WDH, and they co-exist without issues. Most of us (or at least many) have off-the-shelf WDHs from Reese, Draw-Tite, or Hidden Hitch. I don't know how many of those "hundreds" tow with an Ody, but certainly some.

In 12 years running this forum, I have heard of only two cases in which a particular WDH had a problem with a swing tongue. One was a specific Curt hitch with weird-length springbars. The other has been relayed to you earlier in this thread. In both cases, the problem was that the spingbar length was such that the springbar tips, and hence the lift hooks, ended up at the same location as the swing tongue hinges. If you are the third case, the solution would be to choose a hitch with longer or shorter springbars, but I understand that you don't have time for the required research.

I have no reservations about the Equalizer hitch. You will be pleased with it, except for the initial price. But since its springbars are the same length as any other common springbars, I think your dealer is tweaking you. I bet U-Haul could do a better job, but that is opinion speaking, not experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Just an idea,
mybe go to an rv dealer, will have more than one hitch, and should know how to do a aftermarket tranny cooler, it's kinda what they do to get you out the door,
i am sure there is a camping world or something between nj and virg, go pick up your tm and have someplace planned to go to get you fixed up,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Make sure you get trunnion bars, not rounded bars. The trunnions give a lot more ground clearance, and you'll need it with a minivan.

Mine are 800# bars, someone in the past figured out that this was a good "sweet spot" for a minivan towing a TM.

Mine, I believe, are "Pro Series" from eTrailers.
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/49586.html
A few of these different labels are all manufactured the same -- likely from the same factory -- so they're quite similar. Just put the clamps (which go on the tongue) between the swing-away hinge and the hinge for the slide out on the TM, and see. It should all fit that way.

I have my hitch set to the highest rise, since the hitch receiver is so low on a minivan, works fine, I think I needed just a little tilt, but you can figure that out later. There are plenty of good guides floating around.

I agree that Equlizer is a good brand, but it most certainly is not the only brand that will work with a TM/SL/swingaway hitch.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote