TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
ChillEDog

Default Front hitch for tight maneuvering

Just bought a 2619. I got it in my carport somehow. I have an alley with fence and telephone pole hazards. I could only get the TM backed in halfway and had to disconnect & push by hand to get it parked.

I have read a lot of posts and if I'm not mistaken, some recommend a front hitch for tight maneuvering such as this. The front hitch sounds great, since it would solve another problem for me (bike rack) but I'm not clear on how it helps with the tight spaces. I am thinking of when angling the TM into its spot - the limited space between corner of TV and front of TM. If I recall, when I was backing the TM, I could only angle so far.

Obviously the forward vision is 100% better but are there other advantages to a front hitch in a tight space ?

THANKS !!
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

A hitch on the front is where your steering is, so you have much greater control over where the tongue and trailer are going. For situations on slopes, you also have engine power to get over bumps and brakes for keeping the trailer from getting away from you.

But it's not a panacea, in that you have to look at a face full of trailer while you push it into a tight space.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
ChillEDog

Thanks for your response. Seems like front hitch + extension should help, but can't be sure. Don't really know how to do any kind of dry-run to test whether it'd work. Was thinking of getting a motorized dolly but those are $$$. Because I also want the hitch for bike rack purposes, I'll just give it a go, since I'll still use the hitch. If it doesn't work, I'll just get a dolly.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
rumbleweed

I have a powermover ( www.powermovers.org) They are not cheap, but It has saved me the cost of a pulled back several times over. I can put my TM within 1" if the garage wall with one hand.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Mr. Adventure pointed out, a front hitch receiver is much more maneuverable (which is good), but you can't see the sides of the trailer (which is bad). A second person to watch and direct would be a very good thing, I imagine. One of our long-time members -countrygirl I think? - has a lot fo experience with a front hitch. Do a search for those posts.

By the way, you probably have a big heavy WDH for towing. I'm sure you have figured out that a cheap ($20) hitch from WalMart would be fine for front-hitch maneuvering, and much easier to slide in and out of the receiver.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
ChillEDog

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the tip. I did learn that, due to happybeebob's excellent post with pictures. But kind of you to point that out. After the TM purchase, and all the fixin's, saving some dollars has become very important...

I guess the "see-the-sides" issue is mitigated a little because when parking at home I'll have the fence on one side and clear on the other. So as long as I get a good turn while pushing in to parking space, and then keep it straight, I should be good. Except for the garage/back - definitely need the DW to spot that.