TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
Donalles

Default Elkmont and a crossover SUV? Hmmm...

I would like anyone looking at or purchasing an Elkmont to be towed behind a mini-van or "mid-size" crossover like a Toyota Highlander to consider very carefully the worst of all possible conditions, such as towing up or down a steep grade in combination with high winds and inclement weather. We bought a 09 Elkmont, loaded it lightly and pulled it from Ann Arbor to Lake Michigan for a shakedown cruise last week in headwinds and sidewinds of 30 miles an hour. We did not tow the Elkmont as much as we "danced" with it for the 2.5 hour drive.
We bought an 09 F-150 this week with 5.4L to do the hauling from now on. While I can't dispute the tow ability of the folding trailManors, I would not recommend anything less than a 1/2 ton pickup or large SUV with V-8 power for the upright Elkmont.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
Redhawk

You are correct and I would add that you need a good WDH with built in sway control. Not the cheap friction type of sway control either! The Elk has been worth the extra for us. We love the TM!