TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Bernbob

Default Toyota Tacoma for 3124KS

I currently tow our 2011 3124KS with a Toyota Tundra(small V8 and towing package). Its just my wife and I, and we really dont load a lot into the camper or the back of the truck. I love the vehicle and it tows the TM great, but just the truck alone is difficult to park in some parking lots, and when we are not towing it is really more truck than we need. Thinking of dropping down to a Tacoma (V6 Prerunner W/towing package). Camper weighs 3185 lbs dry according to the manufacturer. Plan to camp the mid west and the Rockies next spring and summer. Anyone towing one of the larger TM's with a Tacoma? And how does it perform in the mountains? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Bernbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernbob View Post
I currently tow our 2011 3124KS with a Toyota Tundra(small V8 and towing package). Its just my wife and I, and we really dont load a lot into the camper or the back of the truck. I love the vehicle and it tows the TM great, but just the truck alone is difficult to park in some parking lots, and when we are not towing it is really more truck than we need. Thinking of dropping down to a Tacoma (V6 Prerunner W/towing package). Camper weighs 3185 lbs dry according to the manufacturer. Plan to camp the mid west and the Rockies next spring and summer. Anyone towing one of the larger TM's with a Tacoma? And how does it perform in the mountains? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
We towed our Trailmanor Elkmont (4000# loaded) for a year with a 2009 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 with tow package in the Rockies and elsewhere.

Our main problem was that it only had 1050# payload and our tongue weight was ~600#. So we exceeded the truck's GVWR by 300-500# all the time. But we carry a lot in the truck: Leer Cap, kayaks, outdoor furniture, tools ... Sounds like this may not be a problem for you.

We also found the truck pretty noisy inside, especially when the engine downshifted into 4th or 3rd and ran at higher rpms. That little V6 doesn't have a lot of low end torque. But with the folding Trailmanors, you will have less wind resistance and downshifts should be less common.

But in the mountains I imagine you will still be crawling up the steeper slopes like we were. This wasn't a big problem with us, I just fell in behind a big truck and enjoyed the scenery despite the noise in 3rd. But maybe the newer Tacomas have added more noise deadening material?

Also the tranny didn't have a Tow/Haul mode like our new truck, so I did try to manually keep the torque converter locked up so it wouldn't over-heat on long mountain grades. Maybe that wouldn't be a problem anyway, but with no tranny temp gauge, there was no way to know.

Otherwise the truck was very reliable for the short period of time that we had it, And had a good stiff suspension for towing.

Bottom line, I think it will work fine for you. But I'm so spoiled by our new truck that I could never go back.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Redhawk

I wouldn't do it, the gas mileage isn't that much different at all, so really no gain there. You'll lose power, room, and comfort just so you can park it a bit easier?? Not to mention the money you will lose anytime you trade.

You didn't mention the year of your Tundra...mines an '06 so that is what I'm making my comparision to. A friend has a newer tacoma, great truck, but not what I would use to tow our Elk or a TM around here.

Just my opinion, you should do what makes you happy and fits your needs. Hope it works out for you....
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I'm using a Tundra with the small V8, 4.7L which is very similiar to the Tacoma with the newer V6 in terms of displacement and torque/HP. I would not tow with less for my 3124KB. Ample bed storage, ample rear seat space for passengers or gear. My truck is rated at 7100lbs towing which is more than enough. Gives me the confidence that I'm not stressing the TV. Tow package, 17" wheels and air bags.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Last year we drove the GMC to Las Vegas to meet two other couples that flew in. We drove the GMC instead of the Lexus SUV because the Lexus seats 5 but the truck seats 6, but the front center is not very comfortable. We wanted to be able to traverse the strip, so the discomfort of the front center seat was not a big issue.

A GMC crew cab long bed (8 foot) truck is about 22 feet long and almost as wide as any truck around.

Carol, so short that I tease her by singing the "Short People" song around her, commented about how well I was driving down the strip, changing lanes, etc. I offered to let her drive, but she just laughed. She can barely see over the steering wheel. I told her it jut takes practice.

The only problem I had was valet parking at the old Riviera. They could not park it in the normal place, because they have circular ramps and the truck was too long. They said it would scrape the center column. So they parked it in a limo spot.

I can park it at the mall during Christmas, but it is not my first choice for a shopping vehicle.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of trucks are parked backwards? In narrow aisles it is easier to back in then to pull in.

But I can understand your point about difficulty parking.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
T and C
TrailManor Master

Wayne,

Quote:
I can park it at the mall during Christmas, but it is not my first choice for a shopping vehicle.

Have you ever noticed that a lot of trucks are parked backwards? In narrow aisles it is easier to back in then to pull in.
I can sure identify with what you are saying. My F-150 weighs over 5000lbs and is way taller than my '96 was. The problem is that when I pull into the parking space I cannot see the lines w/o rolling down my window and hanging out to look down. I have to back up all the way across the aisle to see them and get lined up. Back up radar helps this though.

I really like the town I live in. However, they will write you a parking ticket for being backed into a parking space. The shopping mall is in the next town over, where they don't do that. So I go to the end of the row where I can pull into a parking space head first and then go through into the one facing the other way.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I can't imagine why the Tacoma wouldn't be a great tow vehicle for any of our folding TM's. If I lived at 6000 feet or if I owned the Elkmont, I might feel differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
...they will write you a parking ticket for being backed into a parking space. ...

Tom
It's astonishing that they can write parking tickets in commercial parking lots (private property-- What possible interest does the State have?). I never heard of that before.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Camper weighs 3185 lbs dry according to the manufacturer.
But this is a meaningless number unless you tow in exactly the dry configuration. Does your trailer have an air conditioner? Add a couple hundred pounds. Awning? Maybe 100 pounds? Swing tongue? There's a bit. Microwave? Do you plan to take any clothes? Food? Water? Pots and pans and plates and silverware? A TV? Computer? Electric space heater? Toiletries? Propane in both tanks? Sheets and blankets? All these are small individually, but put them in a pile and they add up. It is common for our member who weigh their rigs to discover that they run in the range of 3800 pounds or more in the ready-to-camp configuration. You should consider weighing yours before using the dry weight to make a decision.

There is some dispute on this forum about how Toyota defines towing capacity, and I don't want to get into it here. But that may be a consideration as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Wayne,
I really like the town I live in. However, they will write you a parking ticket for being backed into a parking space.

Tom
Interesting here all emergency and law enforcement vehicles MUST be backed into the space. If you drive a state vehicle, you are used backing in.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Redhawk

QUote from Mr Adventure: I can't imagine why the Tacoma wouldn't be a great tow vehicle for any of our folding TM's. If I lived at 6000 feet or if I owned the Elkmont, I might feel differently.

Assuming the comment was aimed at me .... No one said it wouldn't do the job, the OP was comparing it to a Tundra, that was what I based my comments on having experience with both. The Elkmont has nothing to do with it. I've towed the 2619 thousands of miles more than the Elk at all elevations. Towing it across Wyoming (at a much lower elevation) into a STRONG head wind, the Tundra struggled, the Tacoma would have been miserable! Where you are towing makes a big difference....perhaps I should have asked for clarification on the OP use, I could only speak to my experiences.