TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
bjk4201

Default Tow TR2720 with Chrysler mini van

Considering purchasing 2008 TR2720. I want to tow with 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, 4.0L engine, automatic. I understand I need to install tow package, tranny cooler, electric brake and class III hitch with stabilizer bars which give me ability to tow GVW 3500#. Has anyone towed this TR with this mini van cross country and in the mountains? If so what are cons and pros of using the mini van to tow the TR?
Kind Regards,
Bruce
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I am not sure what you mean by "TR" in your stated model number. I believe the model 2720 are the 2720, 2720SL and 2720SD. Regardless, 3500 pounds of towing capability leaves little to no margin when you add common options like AC, awning and a few more things. Then add regular cargo and it is not long before your trailer is 4200 pounds like mine is. Then add the hills you mention and the obvious cargo you will add to the mini van compartment, I see a problem with this situation.

In the end, it may not be can you pull the trailer but rather, can you safely stop your trailer.

I love my 2720SD and encourage the TrailManor purchase but would also encourage having a tow vehicle that has more margin in the pulling capabilities and handle the tongue weight.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
moaboy

Back about 4 years ago the TM factory rep towed a 2720 all over the country with a Chrysler mini van with no problems. One has to be reasonable on weight etc but very doable.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Redhawk

One "yes" and one "no"...LOL And here's a "maybe" My suggestion is to run the numbers, look at the manufactures weight ratings for what your van can safely haul, then figure in what you will be carrying, passenger weights, cargo and tongue weight. You will have a pretty clear idea of where you are then. If it's you a dog and a cooler of food, you may pull it off, but if it's you and a family of 5 with all the gear....that's different. I'm sorry I don't have all the abbreviations and what they mean for you like GVWR and all that. It's pretty easy to find by searching the site or using Google.

I should add that the tongue weights seem to run higher than what the TM web site says, if you figure 500 lbs, you will be pretty close I think. Others should correct me on this if I am wrong.

Welcome to the site....
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Back about 4 years ago the TM factory rep towed a 2720 all over the country with a Chrysler mini van with no problems. One has to be reasonable on weight etc but very doable.
Was it loaded for a f amily of 4 or was it empty?

My TM 2720 weighs 3380 pounds on the axle. I estimate that with the tongue weight it weigh around 4,100 pounds.

It is great fun to come around a turn on the way to the campground and find the entire road occupied by a heard of cattle.

How fast can you stop:
1. in a blind turn
2. off camber
3. dirt and gravel on the road
4. steep drop off

Theoretically, the TM brakes will stop the TM and the TV brakes will stop the TV. I have no interested in testing that theory.

I am sure it can be done:

1. take no dishes, eat out instead. That eliminates the weight of the pots/pans, dishes and food.

2. always have full hookups, so you never carry water.

3. For clothing do what I do when backpacking, one shirt, one pair of jeans. That will get you through at least a week.

4. no TV, no generator, not outdoor table and chairs.

Just a few random thoughts.

When I camp, I can take pretty much anything I want.

We each make our own choices.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjk4201 View Post
Considering purchasing 2008 TR2720. I want to tow with 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited, 4.0L engine, automatic. I understand I need to install tow package, tranny cooler, electric brake and class III hitch with stabilizer bars which give me ability to tow GVW 3500#. Has anyone towed this TR with this mini van cross country and in the mountains? If so what are cons and pros of using the mini van to tow the TR?
Kind Regards,
Bruce
Towing is a small fraction of the total miles for my tow vehicle, hills are occasional, and "off road" is when we back into a campsite that usually has hookups. This is a very different usage environment from some of our Western members who live at 7000 feet or camp after following many miles of unimproved roads into the boondocks. Challenging usage environments should logically mandate heavier tow vehicles.

Tow ratings are guidelines based on manufacturer's assumptions about what and where you might be towing. They wouldn't be expecting the low profile or the relatively heavy tongue weight of the TrailManor. Different manufacturers tell you to calculate towing capacities differently, and you should read your owners' manual about your towing limits. In a world where tow ratings have a lot of basis in marketing, transmission durability, and rear axle ratios which have nothing to do with safety, a 3800# trailer is not automatically unsafe and a 3200# trailer is not automatically safe.

I would expect to find TM owners happy with Chrysler minivans as tow vehicles in some places and not so much in others. Actual owner experience in the places you'd like to go is a great source of information.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
MariaG

We used to tow with a Dodge Grand Caravan, and I must say I think it "felt" better to me than towing with the Jeep - probably due to it's lower center of gravity and longer wheelbase. That said, we always traveled light, no water, no extraneous 'stuff' and only in the flatish area of Michigan and Ontario. If I were going to be towing with it today though, I would be very hesitant to tow "cross country and through the mountains" not only for the very important safety reasons of stopping on grades, etc. but also because of the wear and tear on the vehicle. I know even in flatish Ontario there are a couple of long grades near Kitchner that I had to downshift for, and even in the Jeep I had to turn off overdrive to get up them at a steady 60mph without the engine/tranny laboring. So......yes, you probably CAN, but I'm not sure _I_ would. Good luck with whatever you decide.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
rovering

We made a spread sheet because we too were thinking of towing a 2720 with a TV with a 3500 towing capacity. Bottom line is you are probably o.k. on the flats, but not in the mountains. good luck!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
fallsrider

A couple of years ago, I toyed with the idea of doing the same thing with our '04 Sienna. I came to the conclusion that a 2619 or 2720 was just too much weight, especially in the tongue weight category. I don't know about your van, but mine is rated 350 lbs. tongue weight w/o WDH, and either 525 or 550 w/ WDH, I can't remember which. The TMs are very tongue heavy, and I decided it was just too much for our van. Yes, their low profile means you aren't dragging air around like with a TT, but that weight still has to be pulled up hills, stopped, and carried by the frame of the TV.

With a family of 4, we travel with a lot of stuff. I don't want to leave everything home just so I can tow with my van. We're considering getting a TV with more capability. IMHO, 4,500 lb towing capacity is the minimum, 5,000 would be better. 5,000 would be best towing in the mountains.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I agree with Fallsrider. My 2010 Nissan Pathfinder has a 600 pound capacity for tongue weight. It did just OK in my opinion. In my desire to avoid a WDH, I decided to go with Airlift 1000 bags and that really did the trick. When I hitch up now, the back of the SUV only sinks a bit.

I can't imagine what it would be like with a TV that has only 350-400 pounds capacity with or without a WDH.

No don't you all hammer me on how well your minivan does just fine, good for you and I'm glad it works for you. I have to deal with hills and mountains and going up hill, I am glad my TV has 6000 pounds pulling capacity. When I go down the hill, I am glad for the 600 pounds tongue weight capacity and my Airlift bags.

In the end, I never felt like I had lots and lots of excess capacity with this vehicle. I do however feel thankful I have a little margin in my towing capacity.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote