TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I installed an Eqal-i-zer Hitch on my 2003 2720SL when I sold it. The hitch came with my new to me 3326. I kept my Ease-Lift that I had for the 2720SL and the F150.

The 2720SL had a swing hitch. I don't remember any problems installing or using it on the TM. However, the 2003 SL models have a cutout in the middle of the slide that was left over from when the horizontal propane tanks were mounted on top of the tongue. I don't remember any part of the Equal-i-zer hitch that sticks up high enough to interfere with slideout.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
PopBeavers

According to the factory, towing a TM never requires sway control. Sway control is built into the design of the TM, specifically, the axle is set back farther than comparable trailers.

When towing with my 1500HD, the factory advised me that I would not need a WDH.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Crazy Campers -

The thread you reference is nearly 10 years old, so take it with a grain of salt. A few points.

You are at the mercy of terminology as suggested above. A "weight distributing hitch" has "spring bars". The rear tip of each spring bar hangs from a "spring bar bracket" that is attached to the trailer A-frame. The spring bar bracket must be located directly above the tip of the spring bar. Your question is whether this location is available, or whether it is occupied by the hinge of the swing hitch. You can see some pictures that may (or may not) help at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8371
In the first photo, you can see the springbar hangers, behind the break in the swing tongue. If the springbars are too short, the hangers would need to be located forward of this location, which as you can see is not possible. So the issue becomes thelength of the springbars, since they set the lcoation of the springbar lift brackets.

None of this has anything to do with "sway" or "sway bars". TMs do not need "sway control", as noted above. As an added confusion factor, though, some spring bars (called "trunnion") have a sway control option - which you do not need. No problem with buying a trunnion WDH (I have one), but no need to pay extra for the sway control accessory. For more on sway, see the sway control tutorial in the TM Technical Library at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2923

I have never heard of an issue between the horizontal propane tanks and any hitch, so I think that is not something to get excited about.

Your options if the Equal-i-zer doesn't work? Consider a different WDH, one with chains on the end, from Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Curt, or any of several other manufacturers. And save yourself some money.

And don't bother with any "friction sway control" device.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Redhawk

If the WDH is the one with the spring bars that sit on the solid platform, with no chains, you got one of the best WDH's out there in my opinion. I had a Reese that used chains and it worked fine for our 2619 TM, but when we went to the Elk, I had to get sway control of some sorts for when semi trucks blasted past me and tried to take me with them. I got the Equilizer with the solid links for the spring bars, it is wonderful, I wish I had purchased it to begin with, it gives you a very solid, in control feeling when driving.

Bill and the others are right, do not waste any money or time on individual sway control contraptions. It is built into the Equilizer if it's as described above.

Enjoy your TM....
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
moaboy

Bill,
As is said on Family Feud: good answer!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
CrazyCampers

Well that was much ado about nothing! Even though the dealer's order sheet listed an Equal-i-zer hitch, he really provided a Valley 8000lb WDH. He said he switched to Valley hitches because it worked better with the TrailManor.

So they installed the Valley WDH and it seemed to work great on the drive home.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
If the WDH is the one with the spring bars that sit on the solid platform, with no chains, you got one of the best WDH's out there in my opinion. I had a Reese that used chains and it worked fine for our 2619 TM, but when we went to the Elk, I had to get sway control of some sorts for when semi trucks blasted past me and tried to take me with them. I got the Equilizer with the solid links for the spring bars, it is wonderful, I wish I had purchased it to begin with, it gives you a very solid, in control feeling when driving.

Bill and the others are right, do not waste any money or time on individual sway control contraptions. It is built into the Equilizer if it's as described above.

Enjoy your TM....
Just to clarify.

The classic folding TM does not require say control.

The newer stand up travel trailer will frequently require sway control.

A lot depends on the TV size and capacity.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Just to clarify.

The classic folding TM does not require say control.

The newer stand up travel trailer will frequently require sway control.

A lot depends on the TV size and capacity.
Perhaps you should clarify the different types of sway control out there....there's a lot of confusion over how they work and what is needed (if anything) for the TM's (tall or short)

I understand having used both, but really the ONLY difference between the Reese and Equilizer I had is the omission of the chains and using a solid "link" . The Equilizer is a much better WDH system in use and feel than using the chains. Setup is more precise. The "sway" control it provides is really a by product (if you will) of a superior WDH setup.

The Elk doesn't need "sway" control either if you were the only one on the road, it's the movement caused by large trucks passing you that causes the problems, and I stand by my original statement, I wish I had purchased the the Equilizer to begin with for the 2619.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Perhaps you should clarify the different types of sway control out there....there's a lot of confusion over how they work and what is needed (if anything) for the TM's (tall or short)

I understand having used both, but really the ONLY difference between the Reese and Equilizer I had is the omission of the chains and using a solid "link" . The Equilizer is a much better WDH system in use and feel than using the chains. Setup is more precise. The "sway" control it provides is really a by product (if you will) of a superior WDH setup.

The Elk doesn't need "sway" control either if you were the only one on the road, it's the movement caused by large trucks passing you that causes the problems, and I stand by my original statement, I wish I had purchased the the Equilizer to begin with for the 2619.
I am not qualified to identify the different types of sway control out there, because I have never used them. I was just passing on what the factory told me. However, it seems to me that with a very short wheelbase TV then sway control might be of some value.

I have observed a towing situation where a TT should have had sway control, even though there were no other vehicles around. I watched a Jeep CJ5, towing a Lil Loafer TT and at 55 mph the driver was obliged to lock up the brakes to stop in time to not hit a heard of cows. Some sway occurred. Under normal stopping conditions I had never observed sway.

This same Jeep and trailer performed well when an emergency stop became necessary after being hit by a bale of hay that fell off of a truck going the other direction. So, apparently, hard braking only sometimes would be improved with sway control.

I will repeat what the factory told me. This was before the Elkmont became available.

1.TMs never need sway control, due to their design.
2. With my large truck (Chevy 1500HD) I would not need a WD hitch. A WD hitch is only necessary when using a small tow vehicle. (They did not define small).