TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
mountaindent

Smile Honda Pilot Touring and 3023?

Okay, I found a used 2006 3023 that I am happy with because of space and ability to take some family comfortably. However, it makes me nervous that the RV people will say that my Honda Pilot Touring will do just fine with the 3500 towing capacity listed and I saw where the 3023 is 2900 weight. Should I just plan to stay near flat land with this setup? Tow package was factory installed and I have the weight distribution equipment and sway bar and handling did fine bringing the trailer home to the mountains of North Carolina. What do you guys think? Did I buy too big a TM?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The answer has at least two parts.

1. Pack up the TM as if you were getting ready to go on a camping trip. Whatever you would bring camping, load it up. Then go find a scale, and weigh the TM. If you can't find a scale at any of your local businesses, landfill, quarry, etc, go to catscale.com. Cat scales are everywhere, easy to use, and inexpensive. This process of loading and weighing is important. The 2900 pound weight that you found is the dry weight of the TM - it doesn't include any options such as the air conditioner or awning, and it doesn't include any of the "stuff" that you yourself will add, such as food, clothes, tools, camp chairs, TV, or any other cargo. Those things add weight surprisingly quickly.

2. Go to the Honda web site, find the specs for your particular Pilot (year, model, equipment, etc), and look up the towing capacity specification. You're thinking that it says 3500 pounds, but it may not actualy mean it. Look for an asterisk or a footnote, and determine what that asterisk or footnote means. For many/most vehicles, any weight that you put in the tow vehicle (including people and cargo) subtracts directly from the tow capacity. You need to see if this is true for your vehicle.

Many members of this board will tell you to go ahead, a 3500 pound rating is plenty, just take it easy and stay in flat country. And I think several of our members tow with a Pilot - have you checked the Towing Rigs part of the forum? At any rate, it is up to you to determine if you agree.

[Edit] I made a quick check of the Honda specs for the 2012 Pilot Touring. It appears to 2000 pounds capacity for the 2WD version, and 4500 pounds for the 4WD version. I'm not sure this makes sense to me, but 2000 pounds is not going to cut it, while 4500 pounds is pretty good. The specs for the 2011 say 3500 pounds for the 2WD - this makes more sense. And there is no asterisk/footnote on the page I am looking at ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I made a quick check of the Honda specs for the 2012 Pilot Touring. It appears to 2000 pounds capacity for the 2WD version, and 4500 pounds for the 4WD version. I'm not sure this makes sense to me, but 2000 pounds is not going to cut it, while 4500 pounds is pretty good. The specs for the 2011 say 3500 pounds for the 2WD - this makes more sense. And there is no asterisk/footnote on the page I am looking at ...

Bill
Off the top of my head, there may be an engine component that is omitted from the 2012, but present on the 2011, that makes the difference. For Siennas, the 2007 model has a 3500# rating, while the 2008 model is something like 1200# unless you get the factory tow package. Perhaps Honda isn't offering a tow package option for the 2WD in 2012, preferring people who want to tow to buy the 4WD model instead.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

The Pilot numbers can be close but in the ballpark, with a couple caveats. a distant brain cell reports that Honda might not be cool with the Weight Distributing Hitch. If so, that's a big deal because I can't imagine this towing combo without one (too much front end lift, and my 506# tongue weight would otherwise add 715# to my rear axle). Check the owners' manual to see what you think, and most important, ask our owners in this forum who tow TM's with Honda Pilots.

There is a lot of discussion in this forum. But, to make it concise, most people with the word "mountain" in their names seem to advocate larger tow vehicles.

My TM 3023 scale numbers:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

What the Weight Distributing Hitch will do for you:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12552
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
moaboy

You'll be fine based on the discussion I had at an auto show with Honda reps as I looked at the Pilot before I bought my Venza.
I would be sensitive to weight and not over do it.
I used a wdh for many years with my Ody and it worked well.
I am assuming you have the tow package.
Enjoy.