TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default We need a "Bloopers" section on the forum!

I wanted to share something for those that decide (for ANY reason) that it is a good idea to remove the toilet top.

I took the top off my toilet to remove the vinyl skirt and when I reassembled the thing I didn't realize that the pump intake will fit on either side of the screen. I just reassembled and yes, I missed my 50/50 spot. Anyhow, the toilet was designed so that solids will always be between the chute and the pump (contained by the screen).

I noticed the pump strted sounding strange and seemed to be straining....I opened it back up op[yesterday and found out why.......The intake tube opening was almost 100% plugged.

All fixed now, no pump failure and the intake does not share the same space as other solid things.

Just something to consider when tearing things apart.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
happybeebob

"Yuk" One's worst nightmare come true!

Bob
Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

While not TM-related, the first thing that comes to mind (there are others with the TM, no doubt) happened while I was towing our small Boston Whaler boat across country. We had stopped for gas and, like always, I used that opportunity to check tire pressure. Everything was fine. Got back in the car, drove another few hundred miles, and stopped for the night at a hotel. As I was walking past the boat, I saw my very nice tire gauge sitting on the edge/gunwale of the boat (about 3 inches wide), with absolutely nothing preventing it from sliding off an inch or two onto the road. I have no idea why it hadn't slid off when we even pulled out of the first gas station. It was amazing.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Redhawk

Isn't it a joy pulling that top off! We traveled 1400 miles across country to Ashville NC, finally arriving and setting up in a beautiful park, I was very pleased to discover that the Thetford was not flushing, so there I was pulling the top off to find the tube disconnected from the top of the bowl on our first REAL hour of vacation. After a trip to Home Depot we were back in business, but it's something you don't forget quickly.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

About the Thetford screen: I disassembled mine after the first season, and found that I didn't like the position of the screen -- it was far too close to the inlet opening, thus allowing for blockage if the solids were... too solid?

Anyway, not to belabor the point, but I redesigned the screen with some materials from Lowe's, putting it as more of a half-moon across the back of the tank, rather than a cylinder around the bowl. This still serves to separate the pump (and level gauge) from the solids, but there is no screening material near the inlet, so no chance of blockage. Not had a single Thetford issue since.

I'm fairly certain I posted pictures some time in the past, this thread here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4&postcount=65
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

That looks like a nice approach! Somehow I missed that earlier post. I like it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
About the Thetford screen: I disassembled mine after the first season, and found that I didn't like the position of the screen -- it was far too close to the inlet opening, thus allowing for blockage if the solids were... too solid?

Anyway, not to belabor the point, but I redesigned the screen with some materials from Lowe's, putting it as more of a half-moon across the back of the tank, rather than a cylinder around the bowl. This still serves to separate the pump (and level gauge) from the solids, but there is no screening material near the inlet, so no chance of blockage. Not had a single Thetford issue since.

I'm fairly certain I posted pictures some time in the past, this thread here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...4&postcount=65
I agree with Bill, I like the solution. What type of screen did you use? It looks like with vent screen, is it? It looks like vent screen covered in window screening. Are you still happy with your mod?
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
I agree with Bill, I like the solution. What type of screen did you use? It looks like with vent screen, is it? It looks like vent screen covered in window screening. Are you still happy with your mod?
That's just what it is. Works great, I'm very happy with the mod, and the Thetford, now. The vent screen gives rigidity and structure, the window screening separates solid from liquid. There's extra window screening top and bottom, and around the side edges, which poofs a little so that no solids can get around the edges. All the open edges are on the pump/liquid side.

For anyone who wants to try, I cannot recommend this mod highly enough. From the factory, the Thetford was mainly good for liquid waste, with the occasional emergency (and risk of jams in the chute, etc.). After the mod, we use the Thetford pretty much exclusively when camping, only using the campsite facilities if we're on a walk and the kids need to go.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
That's just what it is. Works great, I'm very happy with the mod, and the Thetford, now. The vent screen gives rigidity and structure, the window screening separates solid from liquid. There's extra window screening top and bottom, and around the side edges, which poofs a little so that no solids can get around the edges. All the open edges are on the pump/liquid side.

For anyone who wants to try, I cannot recommend this mod highly enough. From the factory, the Thetford was mainly good for liquid waste, with the occasional emergency (and risk of jams in the chute, etc.). After the mod, we use the Thetford pretty much exclusively when camping, only using the campsite facilities if we're on a walk and the kids need to go.
OK one more question, Do you let the bowl deform the cage at will as it looks like the bowl would hit the cage when the top was replaced. I like the extra solids capacity and I am seriously considering doing your mod.
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

it's shaped so that the bowl puts pressure on the top, and does deform it just a little, enough to make sure it stays in place. I think I cut it so the deformation is minimal, but I'm sure that the screen doesn't move at all once the top is in place. As I mention in the text, I curl the right side around a bit which helps with the float gauge and prevents what I'll call "sharp corners".