TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default TV tire pressure...

I didn't find anything for this topic using the search function...

I was talking to a friend that runs 10 ply LT tires on his F250, he sets the tire pressure at 70 psi !!! Totally ignores the door sticker.

I have All Terrain tires on the Tundra with a max of 50 psi and typically run 40 rear and 35 front when towing the TM.

What do you guys run? Should I run a higher pressure for a bit better MPG? I hope Wmtire chimes in on this with his expert opinion. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Scott O

Based on absolutely no facts or knowledge, I add 4 lbs. to the door sticker recommendation at each end when I tow. Has worked so far...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
clown9644

I am still running the tires that came with the truck and I go by the sticker. I would assume that if you change to a different tire size/style of tire you would need to go by the tire manufacturers ratings. I have been told that over inflating the tire from the suggested pressures is not good (one reason the monitors have an alarm for 10 lbs increase) and that the "suggested" pressures are best for tire wear and comfort as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
brulaz

I think the door sticker is for the tires supplied with the new truck. If you switch from P-rated to LT-rated tires, the sticker doesn't apply unless the tire shop put on a new one.

When towing, I increase the pressure on my factory P-rated tires to the max # on their side-wall. This is higher than what's on the door, but gives a less squirmy feel. Since 90% of my driving is with the trailer, I'm just leaving them at this pressure. So far, the wear looks pretty uniform.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Scott O

Forgot to mention that my TV has 1" larger wheels (and tires!) than stock. They are more of an off-road tire than what came with the vehicle. I was never able to find a new recommended pressure, so when not towing I just continued to use the pressure recommended on the door.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
clown9644

Here is a link to a web page that talks about how to tell, several other links are imbedded as well. It also explains what under and over inflation of tires can cause, none of it was good.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&affiliate=FH3
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
PopBeavers

I don't recall what my door sticker says, but I ignore it for the rear.

I think it says 55 front and 65 rear.

With no cargo 65 is too much.

I think I run 60 front and 75 rear when towing. Understand that I have at least 1,500 pounds of cargo in the bed.

550 2 motorcycles
100 gas for motorcycles
350 water to supplement TM water tank
060 generator
150 2 full coolers
100 tools
050 canopy
030 chairs
100 security chains
005 white gas

Back seat of TV

050 water and soda cases (assumes 5 pounds per case)
015 beer
050 another cooler for perishables

1,495 in the bed
115+ in the back seat
30 gallons of gas in the tank

200 pounds for me. No husband ever knows their wife's weight.

There is other stuff that I can not think of.

My tires are rated for 80 according to the sidewall. These are factory tires on my 2008 GMC 2500HD.

Hmmm

1,500 cargo
400 TM tongue weight

1,900 pounds total

I wonder what my factory specified limit is?

At least I am now using a 2500HD. I used to load all of this into a 1500HD, but the rear bumper sagged too much.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Redhawk

I'm in the exact same boat as you Scott...
Thanks for the link Clown...I'll get to read it tonight.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I think the door sticker is for the tires supplied with the new truck. If you switch from P-rated to LT-rated tires, the sticker doesn't apply unless the tire shop put on a new one.

When towing, I increase the pressure on my factory P-rated tires to the max # on their side-wall. This is higher than what's on the door, but gives a less squirmy feel. Since 90% of my driving is with the trailer, I'm just leaving them at this pressure. So far, the wear looks pretty uniform.
I think Brulaz is right. The door sticker lists the recommended pressure, but it also lists the OEM tire size, tire type, and rim size, and I assume that they all go together. If you change the tire size or type, the entire sticker no longer applies.

That said, I've never inflated all the way to the sidewall "max pressure". I don't think I've ever seen that recommended - but I do go up to 4 psi under max, to reduce squirm or "squirelly" behavior.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Redhawk

Well, I checked my sidewall, turns out the Yokohamas are a D rated tire with a max psi of 65psi (just like the TM tires). So now I'm confused as to what pressure I should be running them at. I'll see if i can get a response from Yokohama, I ask Discount Tire and they didn't have a clue.