TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
mdhartwell

Default Dealer Black Hole

It seems that we in Nebraska, currently, have no local dealers.
I did read the post concerning the proposed factory site in Hartington, about 100 miles NW of where I live (Fremont, Ne).
I somehow wound up on the distro list for Trailmanor, tho I have no memory of that.
We are 50% retired and would love to do some traveling. In years past we had, and enjoyed a small pop-up.
The TM seems a viable step-up.
We have been dithering back and forth about a used class C or new TT of some sort.
My curiosity has been peaked about the TM, but getting to a dealer is at least a 6 hour trip, just to satisfy our curiosity.
If anybody is traveling thru East Central Nebraska, and would enjoy some slow smoked ribs and adult beverages, let us know.
There is some nice camping close to the house (my orchard).
Thanks all,
Mike and Cheryl
Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mike and Cheryl -

Be sure to look for RV Shows. I've got to believe that there will be big shows in Omaha, and probably in DesMoines, and TM may be there. Spring is a big time for RV shows, and you might expect a pretty good discount for a show special.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
mdhartwell

bill,
Thanks for the comeback.
We've been to shows in Lincoln and Omaha, but have not seen TM.
The closest dealer is west of ames, about an hour north of Des Moines.
They are showing one model on their site, a 2011 2720.
Not a huge choice, and about 6 or 7 hours away.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Given the distance, I'd start by asking yourself two questions:

1. Is your tow vehicle limited in what it can pull, say 5000 pounds or less?
2. Are you looking to avoid storage charges by keeping the trailer in your garage?

If the answer to the above two questions is no, then I'd advise you to look at traditional travel trailers or 5th wheel. You'll get a lot more trailer for your money, though I'm sure I'll catch hell from others here for saying so.

TMs are a niche product whose competitive advantages are light weight and compact size. You pay a premium for those advantages. If they are important to you, it's a great product. If not, look for something else.
My two cents.

Keith
Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Most people don't go where I go, so the following is a moot point:

I sometimes scrape the top of my truck on low tree branches on side spurs of primary fire roads. That means I am sometimes scraping the top of my a/c, but probably not the top of my TM. In a traditional travel trailer, or even worse, a fifth wheeler, then I would not be scraping twigs, I would be scraping branches.

Low profile is an advantage where I go.

But I completely agree with your other points.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhartwell View Post
It seems that we in Nebraska, currently, have no local dealers.
I did read the post concerning the proposed factory site in Hartington, about 100 miles NW of where I live (Fremont, Ne).
I somehow wound up on the distro list for Trailmanor, tho I have no memory of that.
We are 50% retired and would love to do some traveling. In years past we had, and enjoyed a small pop-up.
The TM seems a viable step-up.
We have been dithering back and forth about a used class C or new TT of some sort.
My curiosity has been peaked about the TM, but getting to a dealer is at least a 6 hour trip, just to satisfy our curiosity.
If anybody is traveling thru East Central Nebraska, and would enjoy some slow smoked ribs and adult beverages, let us know.
There is some nice camping close to the house (my orchard).
Thanks all,
Mike and Cheryl
Trailmanor dealers have been in limbo with the corporate restructuring, and may or may not have the inventory you want to see, so you'd need to call before your go any great distance. With the new factory coming close by, one day you may be telling us about what's going on.

Your cheap campground offer would ordinarily be a draw for us, but it's a bit of a trip for us right now.

We've owned popups, a 29' TT, and a 37' Winnebago before buying the TrailManor. The popups were great family fun, but they never had a bathroom that met the standards of Ms. Adventure. The motorhome at 6mpg would be a lot less fun at today's gas prices, and it was a nuisance having to maintain another vehicle and all those trips to the dealer that went with all that equipment (jacks, tires, oil changes, generator service, etc.). The only RV I'd never want to own again is the full sized TT (too unstable on the road, downright scary at highway speed).

The TrailManor is great behind the vehicle I otherwise drive every day, and we get 16-17mpg towing. The low profile on the road helps both with gas mileage and with towing stability. TrailManors also seem to hold up amazingly well.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
mdhartwell

Thanks for the replies.
The ease of towing and road economy are the reasons the TM has attracted my attention.
I am also leery of high profile vehicles, considering the weather patterns that seem to be the norm these days.
My offer of a free meal and camping still stands for anyone travelling by.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhartwell View Post
Thanks for the replies.
The ease of towing and road economy are the reasons the TM has attracted my attention.
I am also leery of high profile vehicles, considering the weather patterns that seem to be the norm these days.
My offer of a free meal and camping still stands for anyone travelling by.
I'm not sure what you mean by high profile vehicles, but I have no problems with my 1500HD or 2500HD trucks.

In my experience, high profile vehicles with a narrow track (width) and/or short wheelbase (length) are unstable at high speed in tight turns. I have driven many jeeps, from a 1948 Willy's MB to a 1966 CJ5. They are not vehicles that I would use for towing a TM. Other models of Jeep do not have the same characteristics as the off-road Jeeps.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
mdhartwell

I was referring to the motorhome or TT when I mentioned "High Profile".
No offence to your fine vehicles.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
klv5920

If you look around, you can find a good used one for half the price of a new one or less.
We bought a used one that was well kept and is "new" to us.
And who knows, once everyone starts traveling, someone may show up with a TM and you can see it up close and personal!!

Karen