TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
mrgoodwx

I drove the Traverse, a new Pathfinder, and a Dodge Durango today. I have to say the Traverse impressed me the most with the drive and comfort, although the quality of the interior seemed nicer on the Dodge. The Pathfinder was all-around okay. The Traverse tow rating is 5200, Pathfinder 6000 and Durango 6200. I think I'll give the Toyota Tundra a try tomorrow. Maybe I should also check out the Ford F-150 and Explorer.

Well..back to the towing issue. Based on the history of where my wife and I like to camp, the fact we'll probably keep a new vehicle 10 years and could end up moving to even more mountainous terrain...I think I've got to at least go with some form of 4WD. Even if it's rarely used...man...when you need it, you NEED it!

Thanks for the comments so far.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Well..back to the towing issue. Based on the history of where my wife and I like to camp, the fact we'll probably keep a new vehicle 10 years and could end up moving to even more mountainous terrain...I think I've got to at least go with some form of 4WD. Even if it's rarely used...man...when you need it, you NEED it!
One theory about 4wd versus 2wd is that if you are driving forward into mud in 2wd, then if you get stuck you can engage 4wd and back out.
Not actually true, but I think it is a simple concept to understand, for those that have never driven with 4wd.

I started driving 4wd jeeps while I was in high school. I bought my own 4wd, a 1971 Chevy truck, in 1979. Except for a few years I have had at least one truck that was 4wd.

Today we have 2 4wd trucks and 1 AWD SUV. I live in San Jose, elevation 250 feet.

When we go skiing in the Sierras in the winter I am never required, and never do, put snow chains on. In my experience I would rather drive in snow with either 4WD or AWD and no chains than 2WD with chains. I have used chains with both rear wheel drive and front wheel drive.

I have no doubt that I have better control when I have power going to all 4 wheels.

But, that is my experience. Your experience will certainly be different than mine.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
XC Skier

Default AWD v 4wheel

We have what we consider the perfect vehicle for towing a TM. It is a Honda Ridgeline RTL. Very comfortable inside, seats five and on a cross country trip from NH to CA and back averaged 16.7 MPG with our 2720SL, at highway speeds and above when I was not paying attention.

The awd only engages when it is necessary otherwise operates in FWD. Here in snow country I prefer AWD over 4 WD, have had both.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
mrgoodwx

Thanks...that's good to hear. I had not considered the Honda Ridgeline because I thought it was a little short on torque and HP. Considering your experience, I may go check it out.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Skier View Post
The awd only engages when it is necessary otherwise operates in FWD. Here in snow country I prefer AWD over 4WD, have had both.
I find that interesting.

My 4WD engages only when necessary, but I rarely use that setting.

When driving, not towing, over 9,000 feet, when the powder snow on top of the plowed road is two feet deep, I prefer our trucks over our Lexus AWD SUV.

Today's 4WD is a lot better than what I was driving in the 1970's.

Sometimes, but rarely, I use low range. Our Lexus does not have that setting. To the best of my knowledge no AWD vehicle has low range. Low range is only available on 4WD. but I could easily be wrong about that.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
TMkev10

Quote: I drove the Traverse, a new Pathfinder, and a Dodge Durango today. I have to say the Traverse impressed me the most with the drive and comfort, although the quality of the interior seemed nicer on the Dodge. The Pathfinder was all-around okay. The Traverse tow rating is 5200, Pathfinder 6000 and Durango 6200. I think I'll give the Toyota Tundra a try tomorrow. Maybe I should also check out the Ford F-150 and Explorer. End Quote:

Just my 2 cents worth but if you like the Traverse, take the time to check out its brother, the GMC Acadia. For not much more money you get a lot more comfort and a lot quieter ride. When I tow my 2720 I have to keep looking to see if its still there. Have towed all up and down the east coast but mostly in the New England area.

2011, 2720
2011 GMC Acadia AWD
TMkev10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
hsannerud
Site Sponsor

I agree on the Acadia.....I have a 2012 Acadia Denali and it is well equipped for towing plus it has plenty of room for hauling all the other "stuff".... check the cargo capacity!

H. Sannerud
hsannerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
mrgoodwx

I haven't seen the Acadia yet...but I have to say "wow" if it is more comfortable and quieter than the Traverse. Of the vehicles I've driven so far, the Traverse is the most comfortable, and I could not even hear the engine when it's idling. That's pretty impressive to me, as I still have excellent hearing. The worst thing I could find about the Traverse is the interior looks cheap to me. That's not a deal breaker...as I'm looking for a good road vehicle that can also tow.

I guess I'll add the Acadia to my list for next week, along with a few others, including the Honda Ridgeline. That's one of the few pickups that will actually fit into our garage.

About 4WD "low." That seems to be disappearing from the market on SUVs. I can only find it on the Toyota 4runner and Nissan Pathfinder. I've used it on my 2002 Pathfinder whenever I've needed to ease my camper up a steep slope. Now...I wish I had tried to do that with 4WD "high" so that I would know I could have been able to put the camper where I wanted it. I have no experience with these AWDs, and it seems the sales people I've met with don't know much about them either. When I ask if their AWD is mostly FWD that transfers torque to the back wheels as needed...or something else, they can't answer.

Back to the research...
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Redhawk

Intersting thread....I love the AWD on my wifes CRV, the AWD runs 90% FWD until needed, then transfers more to the rear. It is worry free, no buttons, levers or switches to worry about. It does a great job of keeping her safe.

The 4WD units with low range these days tend be more for the people and vehicles that can go off road. My Tundra is 4WD and I wouldn't have a pickup without 4wd, it has saved me several times. Several times when towing the TM and once when I pulled into a sand road and stopped. 2wd will dig you a very nice hole for your rear tires when attempting to start off again.

In these parts, you never know when a spring snow storm can cause bad driving conditions on a return trip home! I would never drive a pick up on snow covered roads in 2WD with 4000 lbs pushing you down the road!

Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
MariaG

I love the AWD on my van, it's made driving in snow and ice so much more stable that I never want to go back to only FWD or RWD again. I too like the convenience factor, so if I can get it on my next vehicle instead of 4WD......well, I'm already used to it and I don't like to change much, we've had the van 11 years.

When I was noodling around the internet looking at pics and specs for vehicles, of the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave lineup, I liked the 'look' of the Acadia's interior best. It will be interesting to see if it 'feels' nicer than the Traverse.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2wd, 4wd, awd