TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
mrgoodwx

Default AWD versus 4WD versus 2WD

I apologize if this subject has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything. I don't have my TM (yet) so I'm still towing my 2400 pound pop-up camper. I'm thinking about a new tow vehicle and find the world has changed since I bought my 2002 Pathfinder 10 years ago.

I'm delving into the world of AWD and finding a general lack of detailed information on these systems. It seems some send most of the torque to the front wheels and transfers to the rear when slipping is sensing, so it appears to be quite different from my Pathfinder that has part-time 4WD. I have rarely used the 4WD, but for some areas I have taken my camper (not rough...just steep slopes on grass), I've had to engage the 4WD to get the camper where I want it.

Can anyone with experience towing TMs with different drivetrains comment on how AWD towing compares with 2WD or 4WD?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
clown9644

I personally use a 2wd F150. The AWD or 4wd is meant for additional traction and their additional drive train does lower the gas mileage. Not a lot, but some. If you will not be needing the additional traction to go through mud and snow you do not need it. It in NO WAY helps in stopping, you already have 4 wheel brakes, plus of course the trailers. Yes most awd and 4wd do also offer a larger tow load, but with a TM you do not need it, and seldom does it increase your total payload so you cannot overload the truckbed or back of the SUV, etc.

In my opinion they are not worth the extra purchase cost nor loss in gas mileage for the additional traction. Then again I do not live in the mountains outside Denver either.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Scott O

IMHO, AWD is not necessary. Unless it is demand AWD, you are in 4 wheel all the time and your mileage takes a hit. I much prefer selectable 4 wheel drive, where I can choose to use it or not. And in my years of towing, I have only had to use 4 wheel once to get up a dirt hill. Where I find 4 wheel useful is when we take the trailer off and go off-roading. Anyhow 2 wheel drive is completely adequate for general towing, and if you are in conditions where you need 4 wheel you probably shouldn't be towing until things improve...
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
RickS41

Default AWD versus 4WD versus 2WD

I think that you may have already answered part of your question when you say "...but for some areas I have taken my camper (not rough...just steep slopes on grass), I've had to engage the 4WD to get the camper where I want it."

If you want to continue to have that flexibility then I don't think you'll be happy with a 2WD TV..... even 2WD trucks will slip going up a steep slope, whether it be grass or gravel or even a slightly wet surface. Having those front wheels help, for me, makes a lot of difference in where I can go (and I'm not trying to take my TM up the proverbial jeep trails).

With respect to 4WD vs AWD, I think the main differences are that a 'real' 4WD setup is more 'robust', and you have control over the situation.... AWD is 'automatic' and you have no input into when it is used. But one of the nice things about AWD is just that... it takes control 'instantly' if it detects slippage even when that 'slippage' is happening on normal road conditions. For example, if it detects slippage on the rear tires it will automatically and immediately 'take power off that wheel and add power to the front tire(s)'. This can help take one out of a potentially dangerous situation without one ever knowing that danger lurked.

But all in all, I think it will be your intended use of the 'unit' that will determine which way to go. Make sure as you are looking at AWD vehicles you take into account the real requirements of towing, even a Trailmanor... adequate braking, transmission cooling especially in hilly/mountainous terrain, distribution of weight, etc. It will do one little good to have an AWD TV if there is no weight distributed to the front wheels due to a squishy rear suspension caused by adding tongue weight to the rear end.

Just my 2 centavos worth.....
Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
mrgoodwx

Thank you all for your input. You make some good points. Besides towing, this new vehicle would be for some road trips. I admit, when not towing, we've used the Pathfinder's on-demand 4WD at times when driving in snow. Just last month, my wife got stuck in the driveway and...since she rarely drives the Pathfinder, had to come get me to put it into 4WD and ease out of the driveway.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I like the ability to utilize 4WD when I want to. Maybe I see AWD as giving up some control. But that may be a good thing at times.

In general, I'm finding the new vehicles have a lot more "electronic black boxes," but maybe I just need to get used to it. I bought my wife a new Toyota Prius in 2008 and boy...that's one black box to me!

After reading some of the other posts I'm heading out to test drive a few vehicles today: Dodge Durango, Chevy Traverse, Nissan Pathfinder, and a Toyota Tundra. If anyone has thoughts on those...I'd love to hear them.

I was actually trying to avoid a pick-up truck because I wanted a vehicle that fits into the garage. Silly me!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yet another variant ...

My Explorer has "automatic 4 wheel drive". Apparently this is different from the "on-demand 4 wheel drive" in your Pathfinder, since I don't have to do anything to cause it to engage when needed.

It normally runs in 2WD. By using buttons on the dash, I could manually engage 4WD-high range, or 4WD-low range if needed, but for me, that almost never happens. However, if the rear wheels begin to spin, it engages 4-WD-high automatically - I don't have to take any action. I can feel a little lurch as the 4WD engages and takes up the load, and then another little lurch as the 4WD disengages when the need it over.

Since I don't live in snow country any more, I find that I don't need 4WD very often - but when I need it, I really need it. The incidents are similar to those mentioned above. For example, I go to a place or an event where the trailer parking parking is down a wet grassy slope. To get out, I have to back up that slope. How often? Maybe once a year. But if I can't back out, I'm in trouble.

Another example. When we leave our cabin in Colorado, we have to negotiate a PopBeavers scenario - a hairpin turn, uphill, sloped the wrong way, on a loose gravel surface. My rig can't make this turn without 4WD, and there is no alternative route.

I would not take the various hits associated with 4WD - added weight and higher initial cost - if I didn't feel I need it. But I am unwilling or unable to avoid some of these situations, and I don't want to face having to call a tow truck or a farmer with a tractor. Many / most people have a different situation. Yours is the one that counts for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
MariaG

Please report back what you think of the TV's you test drive - I've been thinking about the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia myself, along with possibly the Toyota Highlander and the Honda Pilot. I haven't really done any real research yet, as we won't be able to afford a new vehicle for another year or two, so it will be nice to hear others opinions. *G*
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Yet another variant ...

Another example. When we leave our cabin in Colorado, we have to negotiate a PopBeavers scenario - a hairpin turn, uphill, sloped the wrong way, on a loose gravel surface. My rig can't make this turn without 4WD, and there is no alternative route.

Bill
I am proud to have a towing scenario named after me.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
PopBeavers

AWD is great in my son;s Subaru WRX. When you stomp on the gas as the light turns green and the crosswalk paint is wet from rain, the tires do not slip. Handles real well in the corners when the turbo kicks in also.

These two features are not useful when towing, but they are great fun in themselves.

2wd with a locking differential would be better than 2wd, if it meets your requirements.

I'll stick with 4wd. In years past I have had locking front hubs. But they just don't seem to be around much anymore.

If you have 2wd then you can't go where I go.

If you have 4wd, there is a good chance that you don't want to go with me.

On one occasion I used 4wd in an RV park. The roads and pads were grave. Leaving my site was a hard 90 degree right turn from a near level pad onto a 30 degree uphills slope.

There are times when I use low range. 2wd does not have that. I have never seen low range on AWD.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
mdhartwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am proud to have a towing scenario named after me.
Well deserved, from all posts.

Tags
2wd, 4wd, awd