TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
DoubleT

Default DOT MFG Date?

My Goodyear Marathons came with my new to me used TM (2008 2619)
They are Chinese made and I CANNOT find the Manufacturer Date to determine how old these tires are. Only thing close is a DOT OHHB VLHR. Can anyone translate. There are no numbers in the sequence following the DOT.
HELP!!!!!!!
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Did you look on both sides of the tires? Both of mine have the Dot codes #s on the back side and i had to crawl under to read them. The front side had the Dot alphabet code -- which i cannot decipher.

Tim
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Tim is right. For my 2007 I had to slide under my TM to see the date on the inside of the tires.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
wmtire

Yeah, it's a sadist thing that all of us tire dealers do to customers by mounting the tires with the date codes on the inside. When we get together at tire conventions and such, we all laugh and tell stories of how we got customers to climb underneath their vehicles to find the date codes. The one with the best story get's his round of drinks bought for him. Every since I started using black epoxy, to cover over the date codes, I've won three years running.

Seriously (if I am ever), we talked about it in this forum:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...0049#post40049
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
The front side had the Dot alphabet code -- which i cannot decipher.

Tim
The first two digits of the code tell the plant manufacturing the tire. The next two digits tell the size of the tire. The next 3 or 4 digits are codes used by the specific manufacturer to identify other things, like whitewall, letters, brand, ply, etc.

Using Marks example of 0HHB (if my online sources are correct, as I'm not at the shop to confirm it with our printed books)

0H=Triangle Tire -Weihai, China
HB=215/75/14

http://www.harriger.com/tire1.htm
http://www.barrystiretech.com/rmadotcoding2009.pdf
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
T and C
TrailManor Master

When I bought my used TM I looked at the date codes on the tires to see how old they were. One had the date code, and one did not. The little oblong thingy they put the date code in was there, but it was empty.

I replaced the tires.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Bob & Bonnie

Default DOT code on marathons

I have the same problem just took a 2009 3124KB off the dealer's lot (new never sold). I looked for the DOT code -no date code for these chinese babies. Must be almost 4 years old considering that the trailer was mfg in late 2008. anyone have any idea if domestically produced models now have the date code?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Bonnie View Post
I have the same problem just took a 2009 3124KB off the dealer's lot (new never sold). I looked for the DOT code -no date code for these chinese babies. Must be almost 4 years old considering that the trailer was mfg in late 2008. anyone have any idea if domestically produced models now have the date code?
Did you look on both sides of the tire? I feel it is on the opposite side. The date codes are going to be on one side, while sometimes a partial DOT code will be on the other (but not necessarily). Actually, you are not supposed to run any vehicle/trailer tire in the U.S. without a complete DOT number, including date.

Is there any way you can post pics of these tires and their incomplete DOT codes from both sides of the tire?

You might be in line for some replacement tires if there is no date code......as this is a condition for NHTSA to 'order' a recall on them (if the manufacturer doesn't issue a voluntary one), as they won't adhere to NHTSA tire labeling standards. If these tires are imported thru a distribution network, then the distributor becomes liable for the recall......if the Chinese manufacturer can't be forced to. This same scenario just happened several years ago with an importer called Foreign Tire Sales.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
DoubleT

Found them on the inside 2007 time to replace before 3000 mile trip. How long should trailer tires last miles or years??
TV 2012 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 V-8 w/Tow Pkg
Air Bags, Swing Hitch
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
rumbleweed

Almost no one wears out trailer tire due to miles. Figure 3-4 yrs from date of mfg to be safe. Be sure to check the date code on new tires before your dealer installs them. Insist one current tires only.